Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Was at a shop today, new Ranger, live well was cracked, had stress cracks all over. Somethings up with new ones. I am still happy with my stroker
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by GabeJ View Post
    I owned a 1997 Skeeter ZX185c with a ProV Yamaha. Had a four blade prop and would “only” do mid 50 mph. Never ever a problem for me. I would like a boat that was well put-together. I’d like as wide a deck as possible. I’d like a great deal. That’s what I’m looking for.

I’m in the research phase and I want to know what I’m looking for. I live in rural Oregon, so I can’t sit in a bunch of used bass boats. There aren’t any here. So I’m left with my friends on the internet. Thank you, friends.
    Widest deck back then that I was around was the Ranger Z520 for that range of years. The Legend V20 was a wide boat too. Bass Cat Jaguars are a big wide boat and were made back then. Everyone has wide models now it seems.

3. Member
    I owned a 1997 Skeeter ZX185c with a ProV Yamaha. Had a four blade prop and would “only” do mid 50 mph. Never ever a problem for me. I would like a boat that was well put-together. I’d like as wide a deck as possible. I’d like a great deal. That’s what I’m looking for.

I’m in the research phase and I want to know what I’m looking for. I live in rural Oregon, so I can’t sit in a bunch of used bass boats. There aren’t any here. So I’m left with my friends on the internet. Thank you, friends.
    So now you are starting to narrow it down with “wide deck.” Some are wider than others, you have to ask yourself if this is a deal breaker. I have a BassCat and love the way I am way up front, so a wide deck is less important to me than other factors. Think about listing out what is important in some sort of order, and that will help you narrow down brand.

Us BassCat homers love the customer support, quality, finish and fish ability of our brand.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    How many Bullets and Gamblers have you owned from that era?
    Show me where I said anything about a Bullet or a Gambler?

Since you made your statement about Rangers and Skeeters from that era, I was just curious how many you had owned from that era for you to make that statement.

5. Member
    Gabe, it's just too much of a loaded question. Opinions vary. There were a couple of bad eggs from that time, but the rest would still make a fine boat IF it was taken care of. You said there is not much to choose from around you. Your going to have to look at each one. Climb around and see what suits you. Your question is about like asking guys what type of girl is prettiest. You got to find the boat you like and is still structurally sound.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

6. Member
    It’s funny. The whole post started because I really want a basscat. I love the layouts. I absolutely love that the controls are on the very front of the bow. I know some Cats are fast. I don’t care about that. I want a wide and stable boat with smart storage. Something that feels premium. Even if it’s an older boat. A Basscat is my dream boat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Show me where I said anything about a Bullet or a Gambler?

Since you made your statement about Rangers and Skeeters from that era, I was just curious how many you had owned from that era for you to make that statement.
    Again Skeeters and Rangers are great boats, but certainly not the best of that era, Gambler, Bullet and Allison are above them, and Basscat, Phoenix, Triton, and Stratos are right there with them.

8. Member
    Ranger for sure. But I would only run a ranger. The rest are pretty but not a ranger. They started it all

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    It’s funny. The whole post started because I really want a basscat. I love the layouts. I absolutely love that the controls are on the very front of the bow. I know some Cats are fast. I don’t care about that. I want a wide and stable boat with smart storage. Something that feels premium. Even if it’s an older boat. A Basscat is my dream boat.
    Then get one and forget about all the other nonsense along the way.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Ranger for sure. But I would only run a ranger. The rest are pretty but not a ranger. They started it all
    Skeeter built bass boats before Ranger.

11. Member
    Not modern looking

Get what you think is premium, not what everyone else thinks is.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Not modern looking

Neither were the first Rangers. Skeeter built one 20 years before Ranger as well.

14. Member
    Kinda sounds like you want a basscat and people to tell you how great they are lol. I will say in the years you listed it’s going to be hard to find a wide body basscat
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

15. Member
    Basscats are nice boats for sure, but they aren't the only ones with a wide front deck and controls on the bow. The Rangers and Tritons have that just to name a couple. The 500 series Rangers are a nice wide and stable fishing platforms, so are the Triton X2, X3 and XS models, and the 19-21 foot Nitros.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Then get one and forget about all the other nonsense along the way.
    Amen

17. Member
    best built in order Allison, Gambler, bullet and cat. Everything else out there is pretty equal. I do fiberglass work on them all and strictly based on bare ass hulls, there's not much difference. Trailers is a different story. I can find faults in any boat made that most people won't even notice.

18. Member
    Okay. Odd question. I'm sorta dreaming about buying a used boat. Something in the $30,000-$40,000 range from 2005-2015. Basscat, Ranger, Nitro, Stratos, Gambler, Bullet, Allison, Charger, Skeeter, Phoenix, Ikon, Champion, Titon, Vexus, Astro, Caymas, Blazer, Legend....whatever else I'm missing. Would love some perspective.
    Of those 18 brands that you have listed, the only five I would consider in your situation are Ranger, Basscat, Stratos, Skeeter, and Phoenix. No need to discuss the various reasons for eliminating the others. You have now mentioned that BCB is your dream boat, so just follow your dream. As noted though, you will have a problem finding a wide body Cat in that year and price range. BCB did not start producing boats with a wider front deck until the re-introduction of both the Caracal around 2015 and the Pantera Classic in 2018. You may be able to find one of those around 40k. If the wide front deck is not a priority, then you will have more choices in used models from BCB. Factory support for older boats from BCB, Ranger, and Phoenix are excellent. Not sure about Skeeter. Of course, Stratos is no longer built, but parts are still available from some dealers.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

19. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    This should top the taxidermy thread.

But I’d say everyone else tier 1.

Nitro tier 4.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    best built in order Allison, Gambler, bullet and cat. Everything else out there is pretty equal. I do fiberglass work on them all and strictly based on bare ass hulls, there's not much difference. Trailers is a different story. I can find faults in any boat made that most people won't even notice.
    I tend to hear this from people that actually work on fiberglass, while others will insist that nitro is junk while their skeeter or triton etc is much better fiberglass. At the end of the day its fiberglass and resin built very similarly I can't imagine its that big of a difference
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast