Trailer bunk question

I have a 2021 p2, starting to get rust on the bunk risers, was planning on removing the bunks and sanding the rust off and then putting on a rust converter to prevent it from coming back for a while. The bolts on the bunks come loose overtime, would it be a good idea to put some 3m 4200/sikaflex on the bunk bolts so they don’t back out/loosen? Figured would help create barrier between the bolts and the risers too. Any reason this is a bad idea?

Appreciate the help.

2. Member
    Clean the old paint and rust off the supports.
    Use any type of gel rust killer on them.
    Prime and use a good Rustoleum paint.
    I used the can type with a paint brush. Multiple coats. It doesn’t match, but no one can see them
    Has lasted years.
    On the bolts I force wood glue into the holes.
    Tighten them by hand so you don’t strip.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

They do tend to rust more around the bunks. The carpeting retains moisture there and it’s drips from the bunks for a long time. If you use them in brackish water it’s multiplies the corrosion exponentially.

4. Member
    Brackish water is horrible, learned my lesson, freshwater only from now on. They are over pumping the Delta and the brackish water is coming further inland, didn’t realize spot I was launching was brackish. Just want to nip it before it gets too bad.

is adhesive on the bunk screws okay? Or bad idea?

Once they settle, they shouldn’t loosen on their own. It’s mostly carpet compression and we have to tighten them before they ship for that reason.

6. Member
    I retightened mine on my 2023 and a couple were already stripped. Whats the best thing to put in the hole to snug them up again?

They can be stripped pretty easy by over tightening the fastener. I use a short wrench to help that not happen.

Repair hole in wood just like and other stripped hole. I use a good wood glue and wood strips. Make sure its dry! Clean out hole. Get your wood strips ready, get the hole well glued up, put glue on wood strips and pack the hole as full as you can. Give it a few days to cure then install the bolt. I try not to use the boat for a week after repair just to let everything cure good.

I also use a good SS lock washer on the bolts too.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

You could also use a right sized piece of dowel rod. Glue it as above. After it’s dry, pre drill and install your lag screws.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763