Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's Cousins worth?

Everybody seems to agree that Kirk Cousins is gonna get paid this year, it's just a question of how ridiculous his contract will be. Rumors have the Vikings offering up to $43 million a year. If they don't get him signed, Atlanta is said to be holding up a blank check. So how much will he get? Is he top ten talent as determined by pay? Top five?

I haven't followed his career but I've never thought he was all that. I put him in the middle of the pack
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

$45-50M seems to be the going rate for a decent starting QB.

3. Member
    Didn't he already make Bank in his last contract?

4. Member
    What has he won? Don’t recall him going very far in a playoff run.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    $45-50M seems to be the going rate for a decent starting QB.
    That’s right. Any slightly above average qb will get this. Just the times. He’s certainly a little above average. Not great but better than average.

If he was healthy and had not torn his achilles mid season last year, I'd say he would definitely get 40-45 million. However, he's up there in age, and would be a little risky not knowing how he will rebound after that injury. But like others have said, he has good regular seasons, good stats, just haven't won in the post season. Teams desperate for a above average qb will most likely get him a minimum of 40 million.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

7. Member
    He may be like P. Rivers or Marino..........a great QB who has not won a trophy. Maybe 38-42 mill at this stage of his career and record.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    He may be like P. Rivers or Marino..........a great QB who has not won a trophy. Maybe 38-42 mill at this stage of his career and record.
    Cousins is going to get a huge contract because he is best available. Marino is great and is a bunch of rungs higher than Cousins when ranking QBs.
    Mike Smith

Worth more than Daniel Jones, less than Joe Burrow. Age and injury history means he shouldn't get more than 3-4 years.

He had his window and blew it, go be a bridge QB and hopefully not strangle your future team with a ridiculous contract they can't win a SB with.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Everybody seems to agree that Kirk Cousins is gonna get paid this year, it's just a question of how ridiculous his contract will be. Rumors have the Vikings offering up to $43 million a year. If they don't get him signed, Atlanta is said to be holding up a blank check. So how much will he get? Is he top ten talent as determined by pay? Top five?

I haven't followed his career but I've never thought he was all that. I put him in the middle of the pack
    I lived in MN for 35 years, before the Cousin's era. But I still have family and friends there, so I am a little aware, even though I am no longer anything close to a Vikings fan anymore. I'd agree he is mid-pack, C+ kind of QB. The ViQueens diehards I know claim he does great considering the low talent team he's on, and that could be true. Maybe he needs a bonus inspired contract instead of the guaranteed money he got in the deal to come to MN?
    John

11. Member
    Cousins to Denver with Wilson to Minnesota so both teams can once again under perform. That way the NFL is back in sink.

Of course both over paid too.

Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    I lived in MN for 35 years, before the Cousin's era. But I still have family and friends there, so I am a little aware, even though I am no longer anything close to a Vikings fan anymore. I'd agree he is mid-pack, C+ kind of QB. The ViQueens diehards I know claim he does great considering the low talent team he's on, and that could be true. Maybe he needs a bonus inspired contract instead of the guaranteed money he got in the deal to come to MN?
    Not sure what Vikings fans you talk with but the majority don’t care if he comes back. His contract just hinders the team every where else. He couldn’t even take the 2018 Vikings to the playoffs. That team was loaded. Time for the Vikings to move on and let Atlanta over pay for his services just to be mediocre for the next 3 years.

13. Member
    About two fifty
    John the Garage Doorman

14. Member
    IMO, he is very underrated. Teams aren't going to lose because of Kirk Cousins. He is absolutely able to guide a team to a SB if given the right circumstances.

That said, a team isn't going to win because of him either. But there are only about 5 people on this planet I would put in that category.

If I went through the league and picked QBs I would rather have instead of Kirk for the next two years, no way would I get to 10. QBs are held to an incredible standard and that is why they get paid. Take the money and run Kirk. It should go a long ways at Kohl's.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Marino is one of the greatest of all time....did it while you can still make contact with a wr after 5 yards....its alot easier in todays game....
    Looking for my next bite!

Quote Originally Posted by Da Wolf View Post
    Marino is one of the greatest of all time....did it while you can still make contact with a wr after 5 yards....its alot easier in todays game....

It seems for the most part players today are bigger, stronger and faster. The game is played at a lot faster speed too.

I think he signs a 3 year contract worth around 40mil a year. Year 1 will have a low cap hit due to void years/signing bonus so whoever he signs with can be more cap flexible this year.

I am a Vikings fan and I don't want him back. He is old, hurt, and too expensive. There are too many needs to address and his cap hit hinders the team.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    It seems for the most part players today are bigger, stronger and faster. The game is played at a lot faster speed too.
    Cousins is a very QB....Rivers was too and imo a notch or two above cousins....the defense had a big advantage when you could make contact/hold/grab after 5 yards....qb's also could not just throw the ball away either when it would have been a sack....Marino was just on another level imo.
    Looking for my next bite!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Wolf View Post
    Cousins is a very QB....Rivers was too and imo a notch or two above cousins....the defense had a big advantage when you could make contact/hold/grab after 5 yards....qb's also could not just throw the ball away either when it would have been a sack....Marino was just on another level imo.
    Dan was the man when it came to a quick release. As a Pats fan in the 80's it was frustrating as heck to see Andre closing in on him and then flick. Another 20 yard completion to Duper
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

20. Member
    Tippett got to most but Dans quick release was something else. We know Mac Jones is worth a 6th rounder.
    Red Sox in 6!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast