Update after installing apex and removing 5 port hub

I’ve been running multiple Humminbird/minnkota products all networked solix, 360, live , ultrex The solix was very temperamental when it came to adjusting settings while graphing. (if you know you know). I swapped 2 of the solix g2 for apex and removed the 5 port hub After getting everything installed, updated and hard wired. I must say wow! The network ran smooth as butter. I could adjust all settings without any lag I’m sure the faster processor of the apex helped but I really feel the hard wire connection was the ticket! I was running the older style 5 port hub Just wanted to let everyone know incase your running into lagging issues
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I think many of these types of Solix/Apex networking issues are because they have Gigabit Ethernet built into the units, but the old switch was Megabit. When going to a setup with either all internal apex ports, or the new 5 port switch, everything is Gigabit so there is no need to throttle down the speed to accommodate the old Megabit 5 port switch.

Just a point of clarification as well. There is really no "hard wire connection". In an Ethernet network all ports are "switched", regardless of where the port exists... on the back of a unit or on a 5 port hub.

I have 3 Apex units and, up until recently, I only used the dual ethernet connection and didn't have a 5 port switch. I recently added a second Mega Live, so I needed an additional Ethernet connection. I added the new Gigabit 5 port switch at that point and I haven't noticed any networking difference at all.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    Thanks for the break down That makes sense with the mega/giga and why Humminbird came out with a new style 5 port hub.
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I think many of these types of Solix/Apex networking issues are because they have Gigabit Ethernet built into the units, but the old switch was Megabit. When going to a setup with either all internal apex ports, or the new 5 port switch, everything is Gigabit so there is no need to throttle down the speed to accommodate the old Megabit 5 port switch.

Just a point of clarification as well. There is really no "hard wire connection". In an Ethernet network all ports are "switched", regardless of where the port exists... on the back of a unit or on a 5 port hub.

I have 3 Apex units and, up until recently, I only used the dual ethernet connection and didn't have a 5 port switch. I recently added a second Mega Live, so I needed an additional Ethernet connection. I added the new Gigabit 5 port switch at that point and I haven't noticed any networking difference at all.
    I had heard you couldn’t have two mega lives on the network. Did they resolve that?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    I had heard you couldn’t have two mega lives on the network. Did they resolve that?
    Some like Steve got it to work with APEX units. I have not with SOLIX units and AS ETH 5PGL.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    It appears to be only with Apex and only when connecting each Mega Live to one of the dual ports on 2 different Apex units. There are definitely some things that are a bit flaky, like the Interference Rejection setting, but I have both on the same network and both show up on the Sonar Source screen and are individually selectable on any of my 3 Apex units.

This is definitely not something that is supported by Humminbird. The official stance is that you can't have two of the same device types on the same One-Boat Network. If I go to the Network Status screen, it will only show the first one that was connected, but both do show up and are selectable on the Sonar Source screen.

I did do a post about it here ---> https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1254995
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers