Scraps

Storm ThinFin Silver Shad?

Could this be a decent grass fishing bait? Sez it dives to 8ft which I doubt. Looking for Mann's Baby 1- alternatives.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Thin Fin is kinda light and hard to cast on baitcaster, a rattling thin fin is much easier to cast. Use really heavy line like 20lb and hold your rod tip high and you can keep it to 2 or 3 ft. A floating rattle trap is not bad in those situations too.
    Last edited by Imavol; 03-09-2024 at 10:44 AM.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

3. Member
    The color is good, I'd try a shallow running rapala or topwater

4. Member
    Bomber used to make a lure called the Speed Shad. Very similar to the Thin Fin. Think they discontinued it in the 80’s.

Seemed like it was very popular in certain regions, IIRC it used to be hot in Virginia.

I caught some on it many years ago at Santee, didn’t throw it much because it seemed like it was always windy. Seemed like a good niche lure under the right conditions. Look on EBay, should find some.

5. Member
    The retro original thin fins had to be cast with a spinning setup IMO or deal with backlash especially into the wind. I used them once on a tough body of water after switching to spinning. I had braid on the rod. it had just started becoming popular. I took 4 casts and caught 4 species of small fish. The 4th was a calico and I pulled its lips half off on the hookset. I still own a pile of the ones from the eightys.

The weighted version is a very good shallow diver. I caught my PB smallmouth on one up in Maine years ago. I would throw it the same places I worked a shallow rapala diver.

I still have one that I got years ago. It's like throwing a potato chip. It was a "go back home" backlash the first time I threw it. Spinning gear only....if it's windy it'll be Vegas odds on where the bait will land. Good bait other than that.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.