Thread: 1976 Silverado

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1976 Silverado

My brother in law is in a nursing home and he wants me to sell his 76 Silverado 1500 with a 350. I might just buy it from him.
    It has not been cranked in several years but is in a barn. It has low mileage, and original paint that can be buffed out.
    I need to drive it 200 miles to get it here. I figure I will clean the fuel lines, buy a new gas tank, check the brakes , change the oil and put a new carburetor on it just to get it here. I can rebuild the original carb later. I will pump up tires and determine if they can make it 200 miles .
    Am I missing anything else that I need to do to drive it 200 miles? I will definitely stay off interstates.
    Ultimately after going through it , it could become my daily vehicle and boat hauler. A 350 should have enough torque to pull a 201 Stratos and the frame should be stout enough. I could then give my 2014 Tahoe to my granddaughter. That truck would look good next to the 64 GTO.

Not sure I'd want to drive 200 miles on the tires.

3. Member
    I'd get a trailer.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by senkoboy View Post
    I'd get a trailer.
    ^^THIS
    2014 920/SHO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by senkoboy View Post
    I'd get a trailer.
    X10 to many other things can go wrong real fast !

6. Member
    Don't let anything keep you from getting it. Aside from the family connection, these trucks are increasing in value all the time.

Trailer is by far your best option.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

8. Member
    I towed my Champ with 1975 Chevy K5 (350, 4sp, 4x4) for years, and now with a Tahoe. I'd keep the Tahoe for tow vehicle, and buy grand daughter something economical. And use trailer to tow old Chevy.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

9. Member
    If you get it cranked up make sure no over heat and check belt hand hoses

10. Member
    My first thought was to just trailer it home. Tires, hoses, etc would be my concern. Plus you could work on all the rear of the issues by your tools at your convenience. You probably also need to drive a vehicle up there, so might as well pull a trailer up and then you don't require someone to drive your vehicle back.

Of course, that's me giving advice on the internet. In actuality, I would probably try to start it. If it ran, I would put in fresh gas, air up the tires, and head home.

11. Member
    Trailer, for sure. Brake lines can deteriorate sitting, things you wouldn't even think of. Nice truck though!

Yes get a car hauler trailer. U-Haul has the best trailer rates (less than $25.00) if you have a U’Haul in your vicinity. No registration, brake downs or other hassles to worry about when you tow it other that the trailer getting a blow out or has any other issues.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

13. Banned
    I had a 1981 Scottsdale short bed 4x4 in high school. Sure wish I had it today because it's worth more now than what I paid for it

14. Member
    Trailer it for sure. After sitting so long, the odds of it breaking down on the drive are not favorable.

15. Member
    Tow it, not worth taking a chance with the old tires and possible engine damage. Do what my friend used to do, join CAA (the Canadian equivilent of AAA) a day before needing a tow, then calling for a tow as a "member". Cheaper and you have AAA for at least a year, you might need to tow it again !

16. Member
    It is insane how much money these old trucks are bringing, like mentioned above, more than they cost new.

17. Member
    Other members have said - TOW IT!!! cost for a trailer are minimal. The truck can be an heirloom if given the proper care- I have a friend with a 1975 bought new- all original except with craigar wheels and 235.000 miles and counting. Everytime he gasses it up people ask him about selling it.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

I'd love to have a truck like that. Those 70's era Silverados were great trucks with a big sofa size bench seat that you could sit on all day....an air conditioner that would give you frost bite....and a strong V-8 engine that ran forever and did't take an MIT grad to fix it. When my 2010 Silverado finally gives it up, I'd like to have something just like that....or an Olds Delta 88 another old fav of mine.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I'd love to have a truck like that. Those 70's era Silverados were great trucks with a big sofa size bench seat that you could sit on all day....an air conditioner that would give you frost bite....and a strong V-8 engine that ran forever and did't take an MIT grad to fix it. When my 2010 Silverado finally gives it up, I'd like to have something just like that....or an Olds Delta 88 another old fav of mine.
    Funny you say that Larry - that same friend has a 1973 Delta 88 with the Rocket under the hood. 175,00 on that boat - still ICE OLD air!! ...he drives it around town a couple times a month. Even for a heavy car and the beginning of Smog Control it will chirp the tires and put you back in your seat. He has told me the most MPG he has gotten is 11-12.
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

Love the old Sqaure body's
    I owned a few growing up, Soild easy to work on trucks
    Of Coarse the ride isn't like a new truck, and the vent windows always made boise

There hot these days, and going for more then you would think
    The 78 or 79 were a large single rect. sealed beam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast