Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who's at fault-roof issue

The gutters were installed several years ago. The roof, two years. Which company should have taken care of this issue? I would think the gutter company had the responsibility at first. But then the roofing company came along and and should have repaired any isses while installing the roof! What do you guys think?

17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Seems like a roofer issue to me. But I don't do roofs. Nor gutters.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

3. BBC Lifetime Member Fish TR19's Avatar
    I would think the gutter co. should have done that job before the gutter was put up. That's how it was done at my house. But I had to tell them I wanted it.

4. Moderator
    Both honestly and probably whoever did your siding/fascia more than them.

5. Member
    That is fascia, not technically part of the roof. Most gutter guys will cut a hard angle to match roof pitch and the roofer will flash into the gutter so it all works as a system, either way it's not a good design and is prone to leaks and wood rot.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

6. Moderator
    I'd be more concerned with who did the roof. Having shingles hanging over the way they are isn't good.

I agree with #4 an 5

But both should have pointed it out to you
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    It doesn’t look like there’s drip edge unless it’s covered up by the hanging shingles.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

9. Member
    No flashing on the fascia board. So the roofer probably placed the first row of shingles to hang further out to help direct water into the gutter.

that board looks much older than a couple of years. Unfortunately the liability ultimately falls to the homeowner to inspect things before and after work is done. These days contractors or subcontractors would not get a final Check from me until my eyeballs and hands have looked at what they call the completed work.

google construction inspection and home inspection videos and you will loose faith in mankind

10. Member
    Roofer, looks like no step flashing was installed.

11. Member
    The roofer should have put flashing up or if the board was too bad talk to you about it. Not a roofer but can't imagine seeing that and not talking to the homeowner. If they didn't care about that problem I would wonder what kind of job they did.

Gutter guy attached gutters over rotted wood.

Not the roofers problem. Honestly how did you not notice that before the gutters went on? Gutter guy’s should have mentioned it.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

14. Member
    Gutter guy: You hired me to install gutters and I did. Roofer: You hired me to replace the roof and I did.

Both get the trophy

15. Member
    If there is any overhang to the above roof, the step flashing would be against the wall that is behind that gutter. That rotted facia board has likely gone unpainted, uncovered w/aluminum for a long time. Neither installer at fault, but both should have pointed it out.I see this as a homeowner, carowner, boatowner any thing owner problem. They don't know the first thing about any maintenance, so are at the mercy of hired help. This is why so many get screwed on home repairs. Just ask the Better Business Bureau---#1 and @2 complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by vaw121 View Post
    Not the roofers problem. Honestly how did you not notice that before the gutters went on? Gutter guy’s should have mentioned it.
    Homeowner's responsibility to either replace that piece of fascia or have a carpenter do it. Gutter guys and roofers typically don't do carpentry and never do repairs that aren't ordered.

That's a bad spot for rotten fascia, where rainwater can back up and give a good soaking that doesn't quickly dry.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Should have been fixed and flashed by the roofer....

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Homeowner's responsibility to either replace that piece of fascia or have a carpenter do it. Gutter guys and roofers typically don't do carpentry and never do repairs that aren't ordered.

That's a bad spot for rotten fascia, where rainwater can back up and give a good soaking that doesn't quickly dry.
    Agreed 100%. Unfortunately the homeowner looking to blame someone for something that they should have known.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    Roofer, looks like no step flashing was installed.
    Step flashing would have been against the house body. Thats the upper roof Facia.

In a perfect world either the roofer or the gutter guy should have brought it to your attention. In either case it would have been an extra to replace and deal with any unseen issues. They both expedited. You can make a case with either if you have the contracts and it was mentioned about repairs etc..or just hire someone to fix it. Both will be out of pocket to fix. Lesson learned. Ask the contractors about any obvious repairs thet should be tackled during or before the project and get it covered in the contract prior to signature.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 03-09-2024 at 08:05 AM.

20. Member
    Gutter people probably stopped because of the cables for the satellite dish. Get a handyman to replace the wood and put a piece of aluminum or vinyl over it. The rot probably goes beyond the gutter so it will need to be removed and re-hung after the wood fascia is replaced. You might want to look into synthetic material in that space to help prevent the problem from occurring again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast