Small Jigheads For Mini A-rig

Never did like the huge satellite dish A-rigs of 15 years ago. At the last big sale I picked up some of the Tactical Bassin' Hog Farmer mini and micro A-rig and also a tiny little Picasso rig that's just about the size of my opened hand.

I'm having trouble finding 1/16 oz & ⅛ oz swimbait jigheads that don't tear up the 3" and 3.3 Keitech baits. Any suggestions?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Never did like the huge satellite dish A-rigs of 15 years ago. At the last big sale I picked up some of the Tactical Bassin' Hog Farmer mini and micro A-rig and also a tiny little Picasso rig that's just about the size of my opened hand.

I'm having trouble finding 1/16 oz & ⅛ oz swimbait jigheads that don't tear up the 3" and 3.3 Keitech baits. Any suggestions?
    Keitech Round Jig Heads.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    Keitech Round Jig Heads.
    this, or even the basic northland ball head jigs are decent
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    The Dirty Jigs guppy head super glued is the beat one I have used to keep them from slipping.

5. Scraps
    Just bought a pack of BPS XPS speed shad swim bait heads. Have not fished them but they look nice. I bought them to cast a small swim bait, 1/8 with a 2/0 60 degree eye.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    this, or even the basic northland ball head jigs are decent
    I came across Spotsticker jighead on TW. I used to use those for shakeyheads and wondered how they'd work in my application? If I remember, they have a longer hook shank which might blow out the tail of a small swimbait.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

7. Member
    I would post a WTB or request on the rod/lure building forum for a member that can make the heads to your specs, and you can also choose the hook size and probably have a higher grade of hook brand/value.

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I came across Spotsticker jighead on TW. I used to use those for shakeyheads and wondered how they'd work in my application? If I remember, they have a longer hook shank which might blow out the tail of a small swimbait.
    I'm sure Paul Pus?, ACT on here, has exactly what you're looking for or could make something for you.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    These are the ones I use. I throw a 5 hook rig mostly and use these in 1/8oz. I’ll put anything between 3-4” swimbait and with the bait keeper they last a long time.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dirt...age-DJTBF.html
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

10. Member
    Strike king baby squadron. Perfect for 2.8-3.3 swimbaits and have a much stouter hook then jig heads of comparable size.

The Baby Squadron was going to be my suggestion. I've used the regular Squadron with great success on full-sized A-rigs (and swimbaits in general), and that new Baby Squadron should be the ticket for what you're after. They hold onto a Keitech really well, especially with a dab of super glue before you pull the bait over the collar. The only caveat is that 1/8 oz is as light as they make it.

Lots of options out there with 90 degree hooks now that all the LiveScope stuff has become so mainstream, but even forgetting that they're generally light wire, I don't think that's really what you want for an A-Rig.

A sneaky option might be to try the Core Tackle TUSH. They're available in 1/16 through 1/4 oz with a 2/0 hook which should be perfect. Though I haven't tried the small sized ones yet, given how good the bigger ones work in bigger swimbaits, I think this would be dynamite. Way, way better than any other "jig head" (in quotes because these are pretty different than most jigheads) I've ever tried for durability, even for the Keitechs, and will work with Z-Man soft plastics without issue in case that's something that interests you. They stay sort of out of the way to let the bait do its work, too.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I found some at the local tackle store the other day that I'm going to try. They're made by what looks like a local company to go along with their version of a mini A-rig. They have a spring keeper...I'll see how that goes. Usually not a fan. I think the Baby Squadron would work well too. I've use the full size Squadron before and liked it okay. Swimbaits and A-rigs have never been my deal. I'm more of a jig or spinnerbait or shakeyhead and dropshot type guy.

The Dirty Jig Guppy had to light of hook and the Dirty Jigs swimbait head has that wire keeper that just tears the crap out of a 3.3 if you have to adjust it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    Picasso makes a very nice light jig with a good sized hook. Reasonably priced. TW has them.

Hook is a little lighter than I like but you can get 1/16 with a 5/0 hook.

BPS has some real nice 1/16 heavy wire hooks in their salt water stuff. Real reasonable price. Nice jig if you prefer the heavier wire.

If you're going the throw Keitech's on an A-rig, buy a bunch. They are soft, but maybe that's why the work so well.