Douglas Lake Navigable?

I have looked and looked and I may have missed it but I cannot find clear info on whether Douglas/French broad river above the dam is considered navigable.
    My first guess is it's not since I can't find anything, but with as hard as it is to find info about waterway classifications I may be missing it.

2. Member
    Above the Douglas dam? Yes it's navigable, huge lake.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Above the Douglas dam? Yes it's navigable, huge lake.
    Should have clarified, not able to be navigated, considered "navigable" by the corps of engineers and falls under uscg jurisdiction.
    Reason I'm asking is for guiding on the lake. If it's not navigable it doesn't require a uscg license.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Should have clarified, not able to be navigated, considered "navigable" by the corps of engineers and falls under uscg jurisdiction.
    Reason I'm asking is for guiding on the lake. If it's not navigable it doesn't require a uscg license.
    That is an interesting question. Since you cant pass thru Douglas and most of the upper East TN lakes you would think that but below is a link for the Holston side that basically says the Holston (technically, Cherokee but similar to French Broad) side is.

https://www.timesnews.net/sports/the...5708e3d34.html

Looking at this link shows the French Broad is considered navigable. I didnt read every portion of the document but noticed it showed the French Broad on it. Noticed it doesnt say Nolichuckey or the Pigeon river that flow into that area though.

https://tile.loc.gov/storage-service...-008033001.pdf
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    I think the term "navigable" in this case means can you lock through the dam to navigate from one body of water to the next. I'm not familiar with Douglas Lake, but I think it is an impoundment and you can't "lock through".
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    I finally found the answer. The French broad is considered navigable from the mouth(TN River) to the TN/NC state line. So Douglas lake is considered navigable.
    It's a bit odd because the definition of navigable waters is : "waters that are subject to the ebb and flow of the tide and/or are presently used, or have been used in the past, or may be susceptible for use to transport interstate or foreign commerce."

The French broad is only considered navigable within the state lines of TN so interstate and foreign commerce aren't being transported. If it said the NC state line through the entire TN River it'd make some sense but slydoggie is correct, Douglas dam doesn't have a lock.