522 VX "Restoration" Questions

I just purchased a 2000 522 VX and am starting on the "restoration". It has been neglected for some time but I don't get the impression it was used much and I have not came across anything yet that will be too difficult. I will be looking for all the advice I can get along the way so thank in advance. I have experience rehabbing multiple aluminum boats but this is my first fiberglass boat. I want to do this as economical as possible but also want to do things right. I plan to keep this boat for a long time and will eventually repower if the boat proves to be worthy of the investment.

I will be cleaning it out this weekend to further assess what needs done.

The motor fired right up when I went to look at it. I did not compression test the motor. I plan to drain and clean the fuel tanks before doing so.

What is the most effective way of draining and cleaning the tanks on these boats?

Any other advice for me as I get going on this project?

I have pumped them out with a cheap Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump and removed tanks completely out and cleaned them.......

Just pull the fuel line at the motor, add some tubing to reach below tank level. Pump the bulb and the tank will run till the pickup sucks air.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    A guy I know had two of those boats, one in Texas and one in Michigan. Great boats.

5. Member
    I refurbished a 2001 520 VX. Finished it last year. It took me a couple years to complete due to COVID B.S. Every boat has it own needs when it come to refurbishing but If I can help, please shoot me a PM and I can maybe help you out or give you some of my experiences. I will tell you that it took a lot of researching and reviewing of many post hear on the BBC (best source of info for this) to get things done the way I wanted my boat done. I did use several outside sources for new gelcoat and trailer rewiring but many things were completed by me.
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

6. Steve Goncalves
    I have a 2000 522SVX. Message me with any questions. I went through the entire boat..
    2000 Ranger 522SVX W/ 2000 Mercury 250XB
    U.S. Air Force Retired