Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Did you graduate?? Did it matter??

Another thread got me thinking about this question. One of my biggest regrets in life is not graduating high school. I could have taken a few corespondents courses and got my diploma but never did.
    I spent 20 years working for a utility and now vested in a retirement plan that will pay me for the rest of my life starting in a few years. I didn't need a diploma or even a college education to do the trade. So that brings me to the question.
    My brother went to college and now sells used cars. I went to work.

Did you graduate? Did it matter?
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Member
    My wife and I both graduated college. She is a director for company that owns hospitals and practices. I have worked in insurance, claim side, for past 13 years. We couldn't have the jobs we have without a 4 year degree. To us, it matters very much. More important than our careers, college itself was a blast. I wish i could go back.

3. Member
    HS - Yes. College - Yes. Post secondary - Yes.

Did it matter - yes.

-b-

4. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I graduated highschool. In my previous line of work, industrial maintenance, it didn't matter. The money is great but the work is tough. Recently got a unsolicited job offer for well over $50/hr. My current job, keeping the wife happy also does not require a degree and pays much more.

Now my wife, certainly required degrees. A doctorate wasn't necessary though.

It all depends on the career choice and making sure you choose wisely for education. If I was to do it all over again, I would have went to college and gone into finance or something similar.
    Thanos was the hero

Degree, yes it mattered in a professional type job.

6. Member
    Depends on the career field.

So many do not require it. In many cases, it is a money making deal for the schools and the government. Speaking of college that is.

My opinion is that at the end of the day, degree or no degree, work ethic and desire will out perform anything else.
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

I did high school ... barely. It wasn't stupidity, it was apathy. In first grade they determined I could read and comprehend at a much higher level than my peers and wanted me to skip grades but due to my mid August birthday I was already the youngest in my class so my parents thought it through and kept me in the same grade.

I was bored shitless with school, wasn't a sports kid so shop classes and anything that kept my hands busy was my thing. I would cut class and either go out in the woods to smoke weed or go to metal or auto shop to work on projects. The shop teachers were ok with it as long as I was accomplishing something. I graduated on time at 17 and never looked back. Never been to a reunion despite living 30 minutes from where I grew up.

I did ok for myself, had a house at 27, married with two healthy normal kids and a steady career turning wrenches. Life may have been easier if I had the discipline to apply myself a little more but dad passed when I was 12 and mom had to work full time so I was on my own pretty much. It was a wild ride, I'll say that but I'm glad our daughters had a way more unchaotic upbringing.
    Ranting incoherently

8. Member
    Did not graduate high school and have had a very successful career in technology working for companies like Novell for 5 years, Microsoft 13 years and now Amazon 10 years.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

9. Member
    I never graduated from High school left my 1st week of 12th grade and never looked back. Went to work right away got married and had 4 kids and I work for the Federal Government. My wife just retired after 40 years in the government I have 1 more year to go then we will be heading to FL.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    how many have graduated college and their degrees have not helped them at all

HS of Course
    Took the 10 year plan to complete a associate degree

Did it matter
    Yes and No
    At this Point in my Job, It's Work history and I have 40 years of experience

A degree would have opened allot more doors

12. Member
    Made it through 9th grade. Did an apprenticeship. Union concrete finisher for 52 yrs. Reminds me of an old saying......."Only one thing kept me from going to collage--High School!" I've seen street smart people 10 times smarter than a professor.

13. Member
    Depends on the Job and what you want to do.

I have been looking at upper level managment jobs and all them require a bachelor's and I don't have so I have decided to go back to school.

I still think going directly to trades and being union would be a great a start.

I graduated high school and have a certificate from college in addition to a military career. Yes, my cert and military trained assisted me in my career.

Tom

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    Made it through 9th grade. Did an apprenticeship. Union concrete finisher for 52 yrs. Reminds me of an old saying......."Only one thing kept me from going to collage--High School!" I've seen street smart people 10 times smarter than a professor.
    yep or people with degrees but that person with the degree has the upper hand just because they have a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by basshammerwannabe View Post
    Because they did not choose the career first and then get the degree that leads to the choosen career.

P01135809

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    Because they did not choose the career first and then get the degree that leads to the choosen career.
    right but thats what im saying what % of people at 18-20 know their career path..

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basshammerwannabe View Post
    Hard to say. I wanted to be a veterinarian and had a four year degree in biology. Even with a solid average I could not get in Vet school. So I took a low paying job teaching that required a degree. Then I spent most of my life in the commercial insurance sales which certainly doesn’t require a college degree but it helps to get your foot in the door. I have no regrets but would have got a degree in finance if I had a do over.

19. Member
    In my field having a doctorate is generally the norm, but in my specific company now they promote from within-to a fault. There are some B.S. level folks who were over-promoted. I knew of one support type person who just had a H.S. Diploma and she did okay, until her back-talk got her in trouble and she got nudged out. Then she went to another close by company, got a contract job and got fired from that for the same reason. It isn't "hard work" physically, but can be stressful due to timelines and a higher than normal of people who seem to be somewhat "on the spectrum" when it comes to social skills.

I graduated high school. Never had the desire to go to college.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast