Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    High School. I went to work in automotive parts assemblies. Brakes mostly and some transmission parts. High school didn't really help. Not having a degree did stop me from getting promoted. It wasn't something I wanted. I was a supervisor for about 20 years. Stepped down to PM maintenance. Wound up making more money since hourly and overtime. I was also trained in the actual job. I wound up training engineers on the machines because I knew how they worked and how to fix. Engineers, at least at my work, were pretty useless. Not knocking engineers but they didn't seem interested in learning. To me a degree was worthless unless I wanted to be promoted.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Another thread got me thinking about this question. One of my biggest regrets in life is not graduating high school. I could have taken a few corespondents courses and got my diploma but never did.
    I spent 20 years working for a utility and now vested in a retirement plan that will pay me for the rest of my life starting in a few years. I didn't need a diploma or even a college education to do the trade. So that brings me to the question.
    My brother went to college and now sells used cars. I went to work.

Did you graduate? Did it matter?
    I got my bachelor’s by going to school at night while in the Air Force and one of the best moves ever. When I retired from the Air Force I got a manager job and then a job with the railroad. I got hired by them for my degree, not the fact that I was retired military so yes definitely mattered
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    I graduated high school. Never had the desire to go to college.
    Four of the most fun times in my life was four years at Auburn. I got to see Sullivan and Beasely nearly every Saturday play and made some of my best friends till this day. Auburn was small at the time and I loved riding my motorcycle around the country there. Then a microbiology professor who was on of the earliest members of BASS took me bass fishing on Eufaula in 1973.
    Because of my degree I got to go on Auburn alumni trips to Europe and we met a lot of interesting people and made connections that helped me in my business.

4. Member
    Graduated HS and dithered around JC's for a few years here and there. Changed careers in early 30's and went back for the degree..........it mattered quite a bit for me.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mperry View Post
    High School. I went to work in automotive parts assemblies. Brakes mostly and some transmission parts. High school didn't really help. Not having a degree did stop me from getting promoted. It wasn't something I wanted. I was a supervisor for about 20 years. Stepped down to PM maintenance. Wound up making more money since hourly and overtime. I was also trained in the actual job. I wound up training engineers on the machines because I knew how they worked and how to fix. Engineers, at least at my work, were pretty useless. Not knocking engineers but they didn't seem interested in learning. To me a degree was worthless unless I wanted to be promoted.
    Seems to me the engineers were being misused at your plant. They are educated in design work more than maintenance work.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    Four of the most fun times in my life was four years at Auburn. I got to see Sullivan and Beasely nearly every Saturday play and made some of my best friends till this day. Auburn was small at the time and I loved riding my motorcycle around the country there. Then a microbiology professor who was on of the earliest members of BASS took me bass fishing on Eufaula in 1973.
    I spent 3 years there myself getting my M.S. I didn't do a whole lot of fishing except in some ponds on Wire Road by my trailer park, but I had a group of buddies that did a lot of canoeing/camping around AL and GA. That was the only wasy I kept my sanity working with the major prof that I had. I missed being able to watch Bo Jackson play by one year.

7. Member
    Graduated high school and went one semester in college. Hated college went to work. Got hired at largest gas utility in WV and spent 40 years there. Now retired.

8. Member
    Graduated high school, have an associates, bachelors degree, 2 certifications and a professional license. In my field, the minimum requirement is a bachelors degree for an entry level position. You don’t need a professional license, but it’ll take you 20 years to make the same amount that someone with a license will make in 7.

honestly engineering wasn’t my first choice. I wanted to go into natural resource management and work for logging companies. I got into one of the best forestry schools in the country after I graduated with my associates but backed out last minute because there were no jobs in NY. So I applied to engineering school the last day they were accepting applications on a whim because my friends were going there.

if I had to do it over again, I would’ve went into forestry.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

9. Member
    You can certainly make a good living without a College Degree, without a High School degree it gets a lot tougher.

10. Member
    I graduated high school and college. My career choice in law enforcement required a 4 year degree.

11. Member
    I’m in the c-suite for a multi billion dollar company, and there’s zero chance I would be there without my bachelor’s degree. A college degree is a requirement.

12. Member
    Yes. I dropped out if college after high-school because I was immature and didn't have the discipline needed at the time. I made one good decision and joined the Air Force. I was from a small town in Kentucky. Being in the Air Force matured me. I enjoyed all 24 years of it. Being enlisted didn't get you rich but It paid the bills. I raised two young men. My oldest has a college degree and is WAY better off at 27 than I was. He's a Captain in the Space Force. My youngest is a Junior in college and 1 year away from Commissioning into the Air Force. Money isn't everything but don't bs about it you need it to survive. If you didn't graduate high-school and you are doing well enough, you are an exception to the rule.
    Basscat Pantera 2

Worked for me. Needed a degree to become an officer and then into USAF pilot training. No degree=no wings. It was worth the effort.

14. Member
    HS graduate. BS in accounting. I have been using that degree for 42 years and it has served me well. It mattered. I can't be a part of an organization or club for long before someone nominates me as Treasurer or asks me a tax question :).

15. Member
    High School: Yes
    College: Yes (Two BS Degrees, Computer Science, Mathematics)
    Secondary College: Yes (MBA)
    Did it matter? YES
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

16. Member
    I am pretty sure if you looked at the statistics in relation to opportunities, earnings, job satisfaction, etc., the answer would be yes, in most instances it matters.

Yes, Mechanical Engineering. Yes it mattered. Opened up a lot of doors and provided many job options. Mechanical Supervisor in a Steel Mill to Designing Kitchen Ranges to Project Manager, and a few others.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Yes - High School, College and an MBA.

Did it matter?

Yes & No

I do not work in the trade that my degrees are in, but my MBA helped me get the position that sent my career path in a great direction.

College is not for everyone and there is nothing wrong with learning a trade that gives you a marketable skill. It is the best option for most people.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

19. Member
    They are labeling engineers loosely now days.. should talk to some of the ones we talk to from Ford

Did you graduate? Yes to both HS and college
    Did it matter? Yes it mattered to me.
    Glad they didn’t have fishing in schools back then or I might have went down a different path

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast