Adding 2nd Helix sanity check...

Yeah, it's that Lowrance guy again lol...

So have searched back and think I have a handle on this, but figured I better get a 2nd set of eyes on it...

From my previous threads recall I have added Helix 12 MDI G4N and Mega 360. I am now considering adding a smaller ie 9 or 10" Helix to the bow as well, primarily for map and 2D/DI from MDI on Trolling Motor.

* I understand map card does not share, so a VX map card would only be viewable on the smaller unit.

* I have the Y cable for the 360 and MDI xdcr's, which I would connect to the 12" G4N.

* Then I would run ethernet cable (AS EC 15E - overkill, but I already have one) from the 12" to the smaller unit, but would need AS EC QDE Ethernet Adapters for each unit? And no hub would required since only two units. This would allow me to see the DI/2D from the MDI connected to the 12 G4N on the smaller unit.

* Typically I have all my units connected to my NEMA network, and would add both Helix's as well - since there are seperate network and NEME ports, I expect there is no issue with this?

And lastly, is there a restriction on what model/series you can network, ie I have G4N, do I have to get another G4N, or could I add a G2N or G3N? (always looking for a good deal :).

Am I missing anything, any parts or pieces?

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Yeah, it's that Lowrance guy again lol...

So have searched back and think I have a handle on this, but figured I better get a 2nd set of eyes on it...

From my previous threads recall I have added Helix 12 MDI G4N and Mega 360. I am now considering adding a smaller ie 9 or 10" Helix to the bow as well, primarily for map and 2D/DI from MDI on Trolling Motor.

* I understand map card does not share, so a VX map card would only be viewable on the smaller unit.

* I have the Y cable for the 360 and MDI xdcr's, which I would connect to the 12" G4N.

* Then I would run ethernet cable (AS EC 15E - overkill, but I already have one) from the 12" to the smaller unit, but would need AS EC QDE Ethernet Adapters for each unit? And no hub would required since only two units. This would allow me to see the DI/2D from the MDI connected to the 12 G4N on the smaller unit.

* Typically I have all my units connected to my NEMA network, and would add both Helix's as well - since there are seperate network and NEME ports, I expect there is no issue with this?

And lastly, is there a restriction on what model/series you can network, ie I have G4N, do I have to get another G4N, or could I add a G2N or G3N? (always looking for a good deal :).

Am I missing anything, any parts or pieces?
    I'm not a Helix guy but be careful with Helix G2N option since there are accessories which aren't supported with this generation... The new 5 Port Ethernet switch being an example. I would stick with G3N and G4N units.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

A Helix G3N and G4N are basically the same except for WiFi and NMEA 2000.

A G2N is not MEGA +, will not display MEGA LIVE, but will display MEGA 360 if it is operated by a G3N or G4N.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    A VX card will not work in Gen 2 Helix if I understand right.

Yeah sounds like G3/G4 then... probably G4 due to rebates. Just comparing physical sizing now trying to see what will fit the best vs say a Live 9. Seems like Helix's are just wide - ie the Helix 10 is about as wide as the Live 12 I removed :(. But I'll be putting it on an "angle" so will do some mock up this weekend affter I get the dual stack setup/positioned, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    A VX card will not work in Gen 2 Helix if I understand right.
    Correct
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Yeah sounds like G3/G4 then... probably G4 due to rebates. Just comparing physical sizing now trying to see what will fit the best vs say a Live 9. Seems like Helix's are just wide - ie the Helix 10 is about as wide as the Live 12 I removed :(. But I'll be putting it on an "angle" so will do some mock up this weekend affter I get the dual stack setup/positioned, etc.
    If I'm not mistaken the NMEA2K adapters for the G3s and G4s are different. Get the G4 - you're already in this deep......
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax