Fiberglass bass boat repair using marine-tex?

I have an older Skeeter 2000 year model, fiberglass bass boat (black) and I have a couple small, nicks and gouges on the bottom of the boat. Has anyone used marine Tex in either the White or gray to do the repair? If so, Can I color the marine tex ( black) after I sand it and if so, am I better off using a gray color marine Tex or the white?

2. Member
    I've had very good success with filling smaller nicks and cracked fiberglass. It wasn't on my current bass boat but a sport boat and they were thumnail size voids and it worked fine.

I did have a an oops in my bass boat tryin to secure a new plate for my power pole put and drilled through the bottom of the boat. It was two small holes that I filled with the darker grey and it's held strong and you wouldn't know it unless I told you where to look. In that case I was able to seal the top and bottom with Marine Tex
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

3. Member
    Can you color marine Tex ?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    Can you color marine Tex ?
    I did it once. Wanted to repair a spot on a black hull, so I mixed a few drops of black paint into gray Marine Tex. Hardened up just like usual. I imagine the “trick” if you want to call it that would be not to dilute the Marine Tex with too much paint.

5. Member
    Gelcote thickened with cabosil is much easier I think. Not hard to learn how to do at all, with a little practice you can make any small ding, chip ect.dissapear.

6. Member
    I tried it on my hull for a few gouges it did not stay in, it was below the water line.

7. Member
    if you want it to look good get a black patch paste kit from spectrum color. Sand the area good with 80 grit and put tape around each area before applying. Sand flat when it cures and hit it with buffer. If you don't care what it looks like marine tex will work but you need to sand each spot for adhesion.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    I did it once. Wanted to repair a spot on a black hull, so I mixed a few drops of black paint into gray Marine Tex. Hardened up just like usual. I imagine the “trick” if you want to call it that would be not to dilute the Marine Tex with too much paint.

marine tex comes in black also

9. Member
    Ive always used the evercoat patch kits. Never an issue with it.

The Grey us really dark I filled a couple of transducer screw holes in my ranger black hull and it is barely noticeable
    2010 Ranger 188vx
    175 Mercury Optimax

11. Member
    I have dyed it with black epoxy dye to patch hull chips. If you give it the full 3 days to harden, then sand and shape it it will not come off in my experience. Above or below water line.

Follow prep directions. Works above and below the water line even at 70 +.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Used it plenty of times below the water line and it's never came out.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Used it plenty of times below the water line and it's never came out.
    same, have used it a bunch. I've only had white or gray hulls so never had to color it. The key is getting into the gouge with sandpaper or a dremel and prepping it well but you'd have to do that no matter what you use.

I got a gouge in the hull of my boat just after I got it, right on the port side of the keel where it starts to flatten out. It happened on the road going to Tennessee, noticed it in the parking lot when we arrived. I used Marine Tex in the grey color, it dried black, so I have no idea if it was the wrong color in the package or what, but it has held fine for 13 years.