Quest/Advanced GPS, new features

The guys with the current TM with the new features, Drift mode and Dodge mode. Have you had a chance to use the 2 new features? I have been doing both for a number of years(manually of course on ipilot link) Are they a huge improvement to the old(stop and restart) procedures? It is a bit of pain to kill and then restart under the ipilot link but you learn to plan around that so the situation is not needed often. Other than those features is anything else better(or worse for that matter) that you did not expect with the new motors. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

2. Member
    Never heard of those features.

Its much smoother, much more quiet and I have no interference. The mount is much more solid.

I went out today and it is actually slower than my Ultrex with a kipewa 3 blade prop on it. I do have a kipewa 3 blade on my Quest it is possible their two blade may be faster Ill have to try it next outing.

It uses 58 amps on max power with the 3 blade prop I have on it.

Interestingly my Ultrex could only be ran on 9 power or my breaker would pop.

3. Member
    I am pretty much have the rest of the stuff with my ipilot link for years. The brushless should be more efficient and quiet, but it was the operational features I hope to hear about. The more powerful motor might be overtaxing your more flexible blades and actually hurting performance. The prop might have been dragging the brushed motor a bit too much and pulling a couple more amps. That is an interesting look at the Kippawa prop and the Ultrex versions differences. Thanks

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I don't really have a need for the Drift Mode but I have used Dodge several times when following a contour and I needed to avoid something, like a floating log. You just use a remote, One-Boat Network App, foot pedal, or Helix/Solix/Apex to turn the motor. When you are past the obstruction, you "resume navigation". I struggled with the resume part until I started using the Minn Kota sidebar on my Apex to do that function.

Without dodge, you would have to go through all the steps to start a new "Follow the Contour" session after you cancel the navigation by turning the motor.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    That would be beneficial for me. I find myself avoiding the sharp contour turns at the entrance to the creek channels on my trolling passes to avoid trouble but those can be prime spots for me. I usually manually troll through those and then get back on my run. perhaps not enough to buy a new motor unless the old one has issues. I don’t drift often much on My lake like I did when going to small northern lakes. Mostly open water fishing except in early spring. Thanks for info. Bob

I have used Drift a little with success, but getting ready to put it to test. There are several roadbeds I want to drift are on a large known post spawn flat. All the fish the Elites were catching staging to spawn at Toledo Bend a few weeks ago use these road beds to head out to their deeper haunts. The flat is main lake and open to wind.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

The drift mode is really nice . . . easiest to use from the app.

2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

8. Member
    Nice. It would come in handy under similar conditions. Of course KVD makes everything look easy! Thanks for the Video