Thread: Ultrex Whining

Ultrex Whining

I have a 80/24 it’s about a year old. When I turn it up to an 8 or over this thing starts to whine. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Try pulling off your prop and putting it back on turned 180 degrees
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    Mine has done this from day 1 as well. It seems to work just fine as far as speed/operation. Just a bit of an annoying sound. I I have tried all kinds of things but no solution.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Try pulling off your prop and putting it back on turned 180 degrees
    Tried it but didn’t help. Thanks anyway

5. Member
    I have read that some of the motors do this. I have not run across this in my shop. I have no explanation as to why it happens. I could compare this to an airplane prop that whines when it spins up. Just my comparison. It would be a stab in the dark to fix and the only thing I would change would be the armature. It is the only moving part that would cause this. I would have tried the prop first then the armature. After thought I would say it is related to harmonics in the motor. Just a guess here.
    Just my thoughts If you try anything post here and give results if you care to share.

6. Member
    Thanks

7. Member
    Had this problem with my Terrova. Long story. To the repair shop a few times with no fix. Repair tech suggested to rotate skeg a few degrees off center. I did and it helped some but didn’t completely eliminate it. I moved the skeg about 1/4 inch each way. Ended up leaving it there. I bought one of the fancy prop nuts like the TH marine one. Put it on and it’s been quiet ever
    since. Eliminated the whine/squeal completely.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgeman9 View Post
    Had this problem with my Terrova. Long story. To the repair shop a few times with no fix. Repair tech suggested to rotate skeg a few degrees off center. I did and it helped some but didn’t completely eliminate it. I moved the skeg about 1/4 inch each way. Ended up leaving it there. I bought one of the fancy prop nuts like the TH marine one. Put it on and it’s been quiet ever
    since. Eliminated the whine/squeal completely.
    thanks