Thread: Jerkbait rod

Jerkbait rod

Hi guys, I’m looking to get into the jerkbait game. Can you guys give me some recommendations of what spinning rods you guys use please, as far as brand, length and power. I’m not concerned about price, I’d like a top of the line rod for this. Thanks

2. Member
    My jerkbait setup is a Falcon expert Jerkbait rod with a Shimano SLX mgl 70. Totally satisfied.
    I’m interested in using a spinning rod for smaller jerkbaits, so I’m interested in what others have to say.

3. Member
    If you are looking at using a spinning rod for your jerkbaits, I'd look at the Megabass Orochi Ronin or Whipsnake. The Ronin is shorter at 6'8" (the Whipsnake is 6'11") and a little more stout and is the rod that was designed for jerkbait fishing. But some people prefer the Whipsnake, especially if using jerkbaits smaller than the standard 110 size. I have owned the Ronin and it is an excellent rod for 110 sized baits. I have not owned the Whipsnake so I don't have any experience with that rod.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    If you are looking at using a spinning rod for your jerkbaits, I'd look at the Megabass Orochi Ronin or Whipsnake. The Ronin is shorter at 6'8" (the Whipsnake is 6'11") and a little more stout and is the rod that was designed for jerkbait fishing. But some people prefer the Whipsnake, especially if using jerkbaits smaller than the standard 110 size. I have owned the Ronin and it is an excellent rod for 110 sized baits. I have not owned the Whipsnake so I don't have any experience with that rod.
    coreynov902 is spot on, in my experience, the MB Orochi Ronin is perhaps the best all-around spinning rod for presenting "standard" 110 sized jerkbaits while the Whipsnake might be a better option if you are of a taller stature, prefer something different than the typical up-down motion to work your jerkbaits, and like to present smaller sized jerkbaits.

If you should ever decide you want to try using high end (or ultra-high end) casting rods for jerkbait fishing, then the rabbit hole becomes nearly infinite in nature from a JDM casting rod perspective. Be careful what you ask for!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

I share the same sentiment about the Megabass XX Ronin as a fantastic Vision 110 rod. It handles Pointer 100's, and many other jerk baits of similar size and weight exceptionally well. There are nice less expensive options and nice more expensive options, but the Ronin is a quality rod made for this kind of application.

6. Member
    IMO top end jerkbait rod is a St. Croix Legend Xtreme 68MXF...that being said I don't think it's necessary to pay that much. If you really want a special jerkbait rod find a builder by you and have them build a Point Blank 691MLXF. I've got both blanks built into rods and I prefer the Point Blank over the Croix for jerkbaits. Actually have two of the 691MLXF built as both a spinning and casting.

We built the ALX Rods ZOLO JPS because of the number of requests for a spinning rod version of our jerkbait casting rod. Short handle design with a grip that fit your hand well when working a jerkbait. It's been well received.

Join our ALX Rods Owner's page on Facebook for more in depth discussions on rod models!

8. Member
    Do NOT sleep on Dobyns. Dobyns COLT 693. The Colt line has 15-20% fiberglass in the tip section. It makes for a VERY nice spinning jerkbait rod.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

9. Member
    I would throw in the IMX-Pro 812s JBR into the mix depending on what your looking to throw and how you like to fish them.

As others have mentioned the Ronin is very good. Willwork4fish offers a great suggestion with the custom PB691MLXF. I have a bait cast version and it is excellent and a lot of fun to fish; I may need to build a spinning version now that he said it :). I haven't fished the ALX Zolo JPS rod, but I have always been impressed with the bait cast models I've fished from that line so I'm sure it will not disappoint. The Zolo rods in general are a great value imo.

Enjoy the search!

10. Member
    Dobyns Champion XP 703 SF is my favorite jerkbait rod. Great action for jerkbaits. Good length for working the bait without slapping the water, but enough length to help fight bigger fish without feeling overpowered. And casts jerkbaits a mile with a braid to leader setup.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    IMO top end jerkbait rod is a St. Croix Legend Xtreme 68MXF...
    Used my Victory 6 8 mxf last spring and liked it too and a less expensive option.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Used my Victory 6 8 mxf last spring and liked it too and a less expensive option.
    What I started using last year as well. Very easy to work a bait with this rod and it loads up nicely.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

13. Member
    I gotta go with the others that mentioned St. Croix 68mxf, or the Legend elite 610mxf. They are from the land of spinning rod jerkbait fishing up in Wisconsin.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

14. Member
    NRX 803s
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

15. Member
    Shimano Expride A 6”10 Medium
    it’s the G.O.A.T.
    Game over
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    Shimano Expride A 6”10 Medium
    it’s the G.O.A.T.
    Game over
    It's a bit disappointing that the "B" has lost that magical overall action that the Expride A has for JBs.