Battery reconditioning

I have found a number of conflicting reports when looking this up online. Is it possible/should someone recondition AGM batteries? I have always reconditioned my flooded batteries annually and I get an exceptionally long life out of them, but this is the first full year with the AGM so I wasn’t sure if I should do it with that one too.

2. Member
    What is your reconditioning procedure?

I have a charger with a programmed reconditioning cycle. It’s a 24 hour cycle. I will usually pull
    all batteries and run two cycles on each, and is the floodeds, make sure water levels are
    appropriate. I usually do this once a year unless I have a batter start showing signs of wearing out or issues.

4. Member
    The problem with AGM’s is you cant add water. It will vent if the charging voltage is too high(15volts or more). That is bad and that is why you need to fill and top off after “reconditioning” lead acid batteries. No good for AGM’s. Desulphating I think is the actual process name. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    As Bob said, I would NOT do it to AGMs. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Appreciate it. I’ll keep that one out of the rotation. Thanks!

Thru the years I have brought back several Optima batteries by running repair mode on them, I have one right now that is 12 years old, I use for a shop battery, at least five years ago this battery was tested on a Midtronics tester as bad, less than 600 cca.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcsampson76 View Post
    I have found a number of conflicting reports when looking this up online. Is it possible/should someone recondition AGM batteries? I have always reconditioned my flooded batteries annually and I get an exceptionally long life out of them, but this is the first full year with the AGM so I wasn’t sure if I should do it with that one too.
    What do you consider a "long life" ? My group 27 Deka Marine Master wet cell batteries have gone over 7 years (1 tm battery lost a cell so I replaced all 3). As soon as I get home the charger is plugged in and once a month during the season will check and top up water levels. My 12 year old Minn Kota 315D charges the batteries to flashing green in less than 4-6 hours, which charger are you using ? During winter storage in my garage, I'll charge up the batteries once a month. BTW once all batteries are fully charged, I will unplug the charger. I never had to "recondition" my batteries ever.

I like to get close to 7 years. This is the first AGM I am running so I am not sure the life I should expect on it. My batteries live on a noco charger and get charged up every trip. I run them every 1-3 weeks year round. My flooded ones I would recondition every year and that stretched the life on those. A lot of times I would have to top off water after a reconditioning and that was my worry with the sealed battery that it would cause issue if I tried to recondition it.