Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bass > 5 lbs ....

It's been an oft repeated thing in the bass universe that it's pretty uncommon for a bass to reach the 5 lb class and when it does it becomes an entirely different fish behavior wise .... not sure the word "smarter" is the right one but perhaps more wary and thus harder to catch. In light of recent events, do you think that's relevant anymore or is this another long held assumption that got holes poked in it ?
    Ranting incoherently

2. Member
    I think it was just talk and caught on. A crutch used by us because we don’t catch many 5 pounders.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    I think it was just talk and caught on. A crutch used by us because we don’t catch many 5 pounders.
    I believe you’re correct and it’s due to the fact we don’t fish for them.! As the FFS catches on you’ll see more of them being caught due to actually fishing for them.!

I've caught more over 5lbs than you could imagine and I'm an idiot so it's simply another myth.

5. Member
    Still a great day when a 5er is caught. They don't get big by being stupid.

6. Member
    On one particular lake I fish 5 poun-da's come easy in May first week or so in June during spawn. Then they disappear until October.

They're just offshore and get very little pressure. We don't catch them until they go shallow again.

7. Member
    Ive noticed a couple of fishing guru types on YT talking about using side imaging to locate offshore brush piles/rocks, then looking for some type of single, smaller piece of something in the vicinity of the main pile and casting to it as well and having success with hooking a larger fish than they get off the main pile. I've read the Big Bill Murphy monster bass book as well, and he talks about the big ones being solitary creatures that you will find related to main structure or cover, but not where all the other fish congregate on it. He has these drawings of "here's the big boulder pile, and over here 30 feet away but on the same ledge is this one boulder by itself. Find that isolated boulder and fish it, slowly, to catch a big one."

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    I've caught more over 5lbs than you could imagine and I'm an idiot so it's simply another myth.
    Idiot here also, I’ve probably have caught less than 30 bass over #5

9. Member
    I’ve only caught 3 bass over 5lbs..
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I’ve only caught 3 bass over 5lbs..
    You serious?

11. Member
    5 5 pounders might get a check here. Been taking 6 lb average to win

It's harder to catch rarer fish, so lots of us go after the easier ones kinda like hitting on drunk girls. Try hitting on the sober prom queen and your chances of rejection are mostly assured, just like big bass fishing.

BUT now with FFS you basically are being given a Porsche GT3, ripped muscles and killer cologne (something better than Hai Karate) and now your chances of taking the prom queen back to your double wide trailer go way up.

13. Member
    Depends on the location. Big bass eat different prey and are not shy about schooling around other big fish such as Wiper and Stripers off shore. I have also caught a bunch of Bass in the 5-8 lb range in a lake some call the dead sea, so I think its just a myth for the most part.

The biggest factor I've seen in consistently catching big fish is fishing bodies of water that have big fish.

15. Member
    I've caught a few, nothing over 6. I once caught two on back to back casts. I threw a fluke to a stump to my left, pulled in a 5 plus. Threw it to a stump to my right, bam. Another one. But for me, they are few and far between.

Oh, I also was drifting in my Jon boat toward some reeds, retying, and when the boat hit the reeds a 5 plus jumped out of the water in a gap in the reeds and landed in the boat. I kid you not. Laughed my butt off. I'm like, I couldn't catch that thing if I tried, but it just jumps into my boat. Ridiculous.

16. Member
    Seems to me they stay away from the bank more unless they are spawning. Look for deeper structure when it’s not spawn time.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Depends on the location.
    absolutely!!

18. Member
    I remember catching a 4 15 and thinking he looked stupid. Then a 5-1 and noticed have suave and refined he seemed. Wise beyond he weight you might say. I’d imagine a 7 would have wine glass. Over 8 swearing a bow tie
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    The biggest factor I've seen in consistently catching big fish is fishing bodies of water that have big fish.
    Exactly! You don't go monster buck hunting in New Jersey. To say someone has only caught so many in a certain area is absurd.

20. Member
    I believe this would be a regional thing. For Texas, I believe it’s the 8’s and over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast