Kayaks - Pedal Drive vs Trolling Motor

Been fishing out of a cheap 10 ft paddle kayak for 7 years, finally put a hole in it and thinking about upgrading instead of repairing. I have had my gripes about the small kayak, and I am looking into getting something more stable, as I feel I've been limited to very small water by safety. Overall, I'm looking for something that is comfortable to sit in but can also be stood up in for casting. I have looked into both Pedal Drive and Trolling Motor kayaks to make big water easier, but I am concerned with problems that may arise with those as I am only using this kayak for fishing. Cost is also and issue, and I am looking to keep this purchase sub $1500 and avoid having to get a trailer. Would very much appreciate any glowing reviews, horror stories, or advice. TIA.

Best for the price with what you want? I would look at either a Pelican or an Ascend. I had an Ascend first, built like a battleship and about as maneuverable, but very stable and easy to stand in. Adding a small trolling motor is super easy to do at either end. They still do not come with a rudder I think. I sold that one a few years ago and got a Pelican Hydrive (uses 1st Gen Hobie drive system; and has a rudder). Priced at about $1,200-$1400 depending on who's having a sale, they're very affordable. Not as stable as the Ascend, but you can still stand in one if you've got decent balance. Last year I added a trolling motor to mine (Watersnake 24 lb thrust). I chose that model because it fit through the hole for the pedal drive. I cut the shaft, reversed the head and added a little 12V battery from Walmart and it'll pull/push me through the water at about 3mph. I think between the kayak, the trolling motor, and the battery I have about $1,500 in it. Still super easy to load in and out of the truck bed without the need for a trailer.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    I’ve had 4 different kayaks in 20 years. Had a 12’ paddle sit on top. But it was heavy and wouldn’t fit in truck with the trailer hooked up. Bought a Hobie Passport 10’ a couple years ago.1600 new. Very stable. Does everything the 12 footer did.Way easier to lift. Very happy with it. I will never put a motor on it. I have a boat. Personally think kayak tournaments should be pedal or paddle only. I can get 3 in bed of the truck and still tow. I’m older and don’t try to stand but sure I could.

4. Bob G's pool boy
    I have an Old Town Bigwater 132. Pedal drive.

I wrestled with it for a while before getting a trailer and now it is a dream. I wouldn't get a big boat and not have a trailer. I have a cap on my truck and I was forced to keep it on the roof. It probably would be different if I had access to the bed, but that isn't the case in my setup.

At times I wish I had a trolling motor. I can add one and may do that in the future. Fishing with the pedals is great but getting to and from the fishing spots isn't a ton of fun. If I want to exercise, there are a lot better ways to do it. The pedals are great for moving around while fishing. The combination of pedals and a trolling motor would be perfect as far as I can tell. I think its pretty common in the kayak bass fishing world.

You can stand in mine but it isn't a lot of fun getting up and down. I can fish just fine while standing but moving around is tougher and getting up and down a lot is a recipe for bad things. I don't know that I could flip it if I tried but falling in and/or losing stuff is a very real possibility.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

In Alabama anyway if its not human powered it has to be registered with numbers on the side.

I have a 12.5 Slayer pedal drive. Made an adapter to use a trolling motor when I know I'll be traveling a distance. In NC you must register it if it is powered by anything other than Human power or wind.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

7. Member
    I run a old town pdl 120 and love it. I want a big water 132 auto pilot but 1) cost and 2) I don't want a trailer.
    I originally was looking cheaper but after testing a few I decided it was worth the extra money for better stability and tracking. I stand up and fish pretty easily but don't often because I need to sit back down to pedal.

Pedaling is world's different than paddling and you can go a good long way without much effort and cast around while you're moving. A trolling motor would be nice, but definitely not necessary.

8. Member
    My son had an Old Town 132 Big Water autopilot and absolutely loved it. Very stable, he could stand and fish no problem they are pricey however.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

9. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I've owned 4 Hobies and they are teriffic kayaks. I started in an Outback, then 2 PA-14's and currently a PA-12. With your budget an older Outback may be within reach, but it will be an older one and I'd stay away from one prior to 2014 (I think) that does not have a chair because the foam pad "seat" was not comfortable. You can stand in an Outback if you're careful and they are car toppable (bit heavy for one person) or put in the bed of a truck. Good luck with your search.

10. Member
    I just bought a new Bonafide SS127. I’m installing the Motorguide xi3 GPS kayak trolling motor. I bought a 20 year old full size boat trailer and restored it so I can launch this rig because it will weigh 200lbs. The only reason I’m using the trolling motor is so I can spot lock and not use an anchor.

11. Member
    I would go to a 12 footer. I have a pedal drive and Torqeedo on my 12' Coosa FD, but started out with just the pedal drive and it served me well. I would keep my eyes out on the used market rather than go the Ascend route-that's just me though. I've heard that the Ascends tend to be barges.

Quote Originally Posted by basscatlildave View Post
    In Alabama anyway if its not human powered it has to be registered with numbers on the side.
    Same with KS. Put a motor on it and you will have to get numbers, which will then make you pay personal property tax on it.

13. Member
    I think you'll have a hard time getting into a decent pedal drive or a kayak with a bow mount trolling motor for $1500. Most pedal drive kayaks are going to be at least $1800 (from my experience). I opted for a Perception Outlaw 11.5 (a brand and model that a local kayak dealer had) and then added a Motorguide Xi3 kayak bow mount trolling motor. The kayak was around $750 and the trolling motor was around $1250, so about $2000 total. The kayak is very stable which was a necessity for me since I mostly stand to fish, and having a little 12-volt trolling motor that has spot lock is amazing since kayaks tend to get blown around by the wind very easily. Another thing to consider is that if you get a pedal drive kayak and you want to stand up to cast, you really can't position or re-position the kayak without sitting back down and pedaling or paddling it. You could also purchase a kayak and put a cheap transom mount trolling motor on the back (there are plenty of DIY videos on how to do this) and then use or install a rudder or create a long handle in order to steer it. This option would allow you to stay under that $1500. I've only been kayak fishing for the last couple of years, but I can tell you that I will not own another one without having a spot lock trolling motor since it allows me to just fish as opposed to making a cast or two and then re-positioning constantly. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll help as much as I can. I rarely even fish from my bass boat now since the kayak goes right in the bed of my truck (no trailer and therefore no trailer problems) and it allows me to fish in areas my boat can't get to. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    ...I've heard that the Ascends tend to be barges.
    Aye! And it's not necessarily bad...just have to recognize its limitations. It was a good first kayak. On my Pelican, I always have my pedals, and paddle with me. The trolling motor allows me to extend the range significantly without wearing me out. I would love a Hobie, but couldn't really justify the cost.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Same with KS. Put a motor on it and you will have to get numbers, which will then make you pay personal property tax on it.
    Well, it IS a "motor", right? Small price to pay- you have to go by power boat nav rules on the water as well. That is also a small price to pay.

An alternative to spot lock are Anchor Wizards. I have one on the bow and one that drops from the stern. They wind up quickly and cost about $150 each. I use cheap Wal-Mart 5 or 8 pound dumb-bells as anchors.

16. Member
    Picked up and Bonifide SS127 Stand Sit for $700 on Facebook Marketplace.

Travels fine in truck bed with tailgate down. If no trailer, would recommend a set of wheels.

The SS127 has mounting locations for a trolling motor. I would bite the bullet for a remote controlled GPS TM. It covers propulsion, anchor, and eliminates all the trolly cables or other rigging.

The flex wings help tracking but are tucked under vs a rudder.

Great price for a Bonifide too! Wish I had found one for that price. Those are really well made and stable.
    2016 Nitro Z21