Carbon / Elite as low cost mapping alternative to Pro

So, looking at a smaller HDS to use on the bow, but it will essentially be used only for Mapping/displaying waypoints and 2D/DS from a Ghost TM. So I don't need any fancy AT2 views or ping sync or anything like that. It will need to network with my Pro's at the Console for waypoints and to see Map my map cards, etc so will need one ethernet and one nema connection.

Instead of a Pro 10", which is what I am considering, I'm thinking why not save some money and jump back to a Live 9, Carbon 9, or maybe even and Elite/Ti2 9". Other than the support/age issues - are there any technical reasons why one of these models would not work in this scenario?

I would prefer a 10" - hell I would prefer another Pro 12" tbh lol. But I'm just tight on room up front with 3 units, and two 12' side by side with narrow bow and wide ghost tm leaves the right unit hanging outside the gunnel more than I am really comfortable with :(.

2. Member
    The only Lowrance with ethernet besides HDS units is the Elite 9, one sonar port, one ethernet port , Nmea port. Mid range product will not have the resolution or the screen coating you are used to with HDS.But it will work and is lower cost with a warranty. New

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    So, looking at a smaller HDS to use on the bow, but it will essentially be used only for Mapping/displaying waypoints and 2D/DS from a Ghost TM. So I don't need any fancy AT2 views or ping sync or anything like that. It will need to network with my Pro's at the Console for waypoints and to see Map my map cards, etc so will need one ethernet and one nema connection.

Instead of a Pro 10", which is what I am considering, I'm thinking why not save some money and jump back to a Live 9, Carbon 9, or maybe even and Elite/Ti2 9". Other than the support/age issues - are there any technical reasons why one of these models would not work in this scenario?

I would prefer a 10" - hell I would prefer another Pro 12" tbh lol. But I'm just tight on room up front with 3 units, and two 12' side by side with narrow bow and wide ghost tm leaves the right unit hanging outside the gunnel more than I am really comfortable with :(.
    As long as you don`t intend to share AT, you could even add HDS Gen 3 to keep the cost down. The Gen 3 would have to run latest software (18.2). APart from that any HDS Carbon/ Live/ Pro or Elite FS will do what you want technically, as well as Simrad NSS.

Thanks, yeah forgot about the Gen3 - I ran a Gen 3 w/18.2 12" at the console for mapping for a while when I first started uprgrading/adding more units, and it worked fine :).

G3's used of course seem to run aroun 500, Live/Elites around a grand new right now it appears, and the Pro of course at 2600. Pretty stark price difference, and a new Live 9" is probably the sweet spot. Still fiddling around with my bow mount, etc. My Ghost is at an ASC so when I get it back I might try to move it over a bit to create some more room as well. I just recall having oem Live 9 at the bow and how small it was to me is my hesitation, another reason I was thinking about the Pro 10". Just not sure if that inch is worth the 1500 difference given my requirements ;).

5. Member
    9" Gen3 and Elite FS have 800x480 resolution. 9" Carbon and newer have 1280x720 resolution.

6. Member
    I think you can find a New Live 9 for around 1k right now...and possibly used for 700...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

Thanks, yeah 999 is the current price for new 9" lives it appears... I mean some places are still trying to get full retail, but several authorized sellers have them at 999, or 1099 with AI3n1.

But, in the end I decided to just get another 12" Pro :). Found that by using a separate mount vs the stack style I had room for the 12" after all :).

So, it's all coming together - 12" Pro arrived so I am running one on bow and one on console currently, along with a Live 12 on the console as well. I though about just running the two Pro's at the console, since at least for the time being I'm really only using the bow unit for Mapping/Waypoints and 2D/DS from the Ghost - so the Live would work out well at the bow also. Since I'm no longer running AT I don't really need any of the "Pro" features ie AT views, HD transducers, etc atm. In fact the more I think about it, the more I will probably swap them. Since not using AT anymore and no HD Ghost 360 apparently anytime soon (in any case I've moved to HB M360 so wouldn't be installing the HD G360 if/when it ever comes out anyway)... Live should be fine up front.

Of course, I always make these decisions after I install things lol... Got the trips working on the ZX - it's a bit narrow, but I was able to make it work by losing the Ghost cable management clips which take up almost 2", and by tapping a different set of holes for the HDS to move it in a bit closer. BBT sets it up so that there is plenty of room for accessing the knobs, but even pushing them together like I have below I can still easily access them on both the HB and HDS by reaching under. Not than I need to access them that often really.

For some reason the picture make it look worse, but in reality only about 2" of the top right corner is sticking out beyond the gunwale... sorry for the glare, this was quick on the water cell phone shot. Still playing around with screen angles and cable routing n such...

Now it TS&S Time... SS3D or HD3n1... SS3D or HD3n1 lol... have to decide before dropping the coin since they are not the same mount. Ideally could just run both. Since SS3D is on transom in stock Skeeter mounting spot, I suspect I could still mount the TS&S setup on the Bobs without any clearance issues... would only be running one at a time of course...

Or, could just mount on left side of jackplate - I know Marc Marcantonio runs a 2D transducer on the port side of his jackplate, but seems the starboard side is the default/far more popular position, whether from factory or adding later. There must be a reason... maybe water/propwash or something along those lines?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post

Or, could just mount on left side of jackplate - I know Marc Marcantonio runs a 2D transducer on the port side of his jackplate, but seems the starboard side is the default/far more popular position, whether from factory or adding later. There must be a reason... maybe water/propwash or something along those lines?
    If you look at the back of your boat, you can see the answer to your question there. Turbulence (or propwash as many call it) can only happen behind or directly to the side of the propeller. The only way to have a propeller send turbulence forwards is by putting it in reverse.

In other words, propwash is not an issue on most boats with outboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    If you look at the back of your boat, you can see the answer to your question there. Turbulence (or propwash as many call it) can only happen behind or directly to the side of the propeller. The only way to have a propeller send turbulence forwards is by putting it in reverse.

In other words, propwash is not an issue on most boats with outboards.
    Make sense - just curious why right/starboard side mounting seems to be the defacto standard.

11. Member
    I have my 3D StructureScan on the starboard side of my 10" Slidemaster jackplate and an Airmar TM150M on the Port side of the jackplate. Both are mounte on Transducer Shield and Saver mounts and both work great (as long as I am not on plane). When on plane I use my shoot through the hull 2D Lowrance transducer.

Transducer Tips and Tricks:
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    I have my 3D StructureScan on the starboard side of my 10" Slidemaster jackplate and an Airmar TM150M on the Port side of the jackplate. Both are mounte on Transducer Shield and Saver mounts and both work great (as long as I am not on plane). When on plane I use my shoot through the hull 2D Lowrance transducer.

Transducer Tips and Tricks:
    Yes I am tempted to order the port/left hand setup so I can run HD on it and Keep SS3D where it is on right side.