Plugging hole/paint matching

I’m debating installing some Scotty flush mount rod holders on the top of the gunnel in my bass boat. One of my major hesitations is if the need arises, how could I go about covering/patching/filling the approximately 1 inch hole I will have to cut into the top of gunnel? Boat is a triton aluminum in a glossy black color. Would this be simple enough to paint match with any sort of gloss black paint? Is there a certain type of paint that would be preferred? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I have done the same thing to my Crestliner for color I used the factory paint code which is a two part urethane, so in your case for lasting results a two part urethane black would be your best bet.

3. Member
    you would have to have a plate welded underneath then fill and prep above area and paint with bc/cc. Not all blacks are the same.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    you would have to have a plate welded underneath then fill and prep above area and paint with bc/cc. Not all blacks are the same.
    what is bc/cc? Where could I find the original color code for my boat? I know triton has since been purchased by white river marine group, so who knows if they would even still be able to tell me. How would it be possible to have a plate welded to the inside of what is basically a square tube with no interior or backside access? I really want to mount my rod holders on top flush, just real nervous about cutting such a big hole and then something not working out.

5. Member
    base coat/clear coat. Most automotive paint stores have a camera that can scan your color and get a match. Most rod holders have a tube that goes downward several inches into the boat. How is that going to fit? A good welder can figure out how to insert a backing plate as you can't just start gobbing bondo in the hole to fill it back up, it'll crack around the hole.

6. Member
    Thanks, I’d be using a Scotty rod holder so it’s just a flush mount base requiring about an inch and a half hole, and then maybe another 2 inches of clearance for the post. I don’t really see any reason I couldn’t get it to work, other than the fact that I don’t know exactly what is in that gunnel rail, but atleast from the outside holding the mount up, it looks like there’s adequate clearance as long as I mount it far enough inboard it doesn’t end up hitting the outer side where the hull starts to flare out slightly. The only other thing I could see being an issue, and really more of an aesthetic one at that, would be matching the slight radius on top of the rail, to the bottom of the flush mount which almost looks flat, if not a very slight curve. I’m going to see if I can possibly heat the mount up with a heat gun, and simply be able to screw it down and have the plastic conform to the top of the rail.

7. Member
    Any idea what a that would cost to have a hole plugged by a welder? I know it doesn’t sound cheap being aluminum and a funky patch…

also someone please feel free to chime in and tell me if this is a stupid idea, I don’t know how structurally important those side rails are, along with not really knowing how that will affect the resale value of the boat, assuming I am able to make it work. Definitely don’t see too many bass boats with rod holders set up to troll, I just don’t know if this would be a deterrent to a future owner.

8. Member
    it shouldn't be that much for the welds, I'd get a piece of rubber and cut it to size under your rod holders like a gasket to take up any gaps.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    it shouldn't be that much for the welds, I'd get a piece of rubber and cut it to size under your rod holders like a gasket to take up any gaps.
    Great idea, I’m starting to build the courage to drill the first hole…I think it has a lot of potential to work out really well, but also the potential to be a seriously big mistake:/