Thread: Binoculars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Binoculars

Wife is getting into bird watching. Our back property is wooded and I have installed several birdhouses. Don’t need to break the bank but would like some quality glasses to view up to 50-60 yards.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nikon Prostaff. Good, without spending too much.

Also, look at Vortex.
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    Also, look at Vortex.
    Vortex should be on the list but honestly they have so many models, I wouldn't know where to start. The first decision is whether to go compact or full-size. Is hand strength an issue?
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

5. Member
    Just make sure you get her a pair that isn’t too heavy. A good pair of 8x32 is a good size to hold steady and the 8x is great for bird watching.
    Vortex upper end stuff, Leupold upper end are both good. Better even would be Leica or Zeiss.

6. Member
    Go with a full size roughly 6" model 10x42 is a great size to start.
    Nikon Prostaff
    Leupold RX series
    Vortext Viper HD are great as well. Have run most of these in the past and for what you want they will do great and carry you for 10-12 years easily. If you need more help shoot me a PM!
    BassCat PIII
    Mercury 200 EFI

7. Member
    If I did a lot of looking I would bite the bullet and get Swarovski! I have a couple sizes and I am not rich. They are just that much better in my opinion. I also have Nikon. Not wealthy I just want to see the best I can. Wife had a fit when I bought my first pair. Now she keeps them by her recliner to watch our local deer herd and Eagles. It hurts spending for them but you will get over that!

8. Member
    For inexpensive glasses my first choice would be vortex viper hd 10-42 and the warranty is the best out there!!!

9. Member
    Vortex
    2011 Lowe Skorpion, 18hp nissan, Ultrex, Helix 9 G3, Impulse Lithium

10. Member
    Love my Swarovski SLC 10x42 binoculars, but for what you are asking a Vortex 10x42 should work great. Just buy a model that fits your budget.

11. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Vortex Viper. get em here at close to 200 off,, Lifetime no fault warranty.. we travel to Wyoming and Montana a lot and these are great binoculars. we spend a lot of time in the Lamar Valley viewing all kinds of wildlife and Baronette Peak watching mountain goats way up high on the cliffs..

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/vort...-hd-binoculars

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/vort...-hd-binoculars

don't get me wrong,, swarovski's are awesome glasses but you don't need to spend 2 grand to get great, clear HD viewing..
    Last edited by lakefolk; 03-05-2024 at 09:37 AM.

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

12. Member
    For inexpensive glasses my first choice would be vortex viper hd 10-42 and the warranty is the best out there!!!

13. Member
    Hard to beat the Vortex Viper for price quality and warranty.

14. Member
    Save some coin without sacrificing quality of glass, and get a used pair of 10x42 Swarovskis. You still get top end glass, top end service, a transferable warranty at a fraction of the cost of new. Best choice I've made when it was time to upgrade my binos.

15. Member
    Meopta makes great glass.
    2011 202 Elite - 225 Pro XS

16. Member
    The green niños that say Swarovski by far the best!! But whatever you do get a tripod, niño mount and phone scope so that she can photograph what she sees. If you enjoy viewing wildlife these things are invaluable for great enjoyable viewing

17. Member
    The green binos. Lord have mercy got to love spelling on that last post

18. Member
    I think some people missed the doesn’t want to break the bank part I have leicas but Al have vortex for wife and vortex is the best bang for the buck I have them all leica Swarovski leupold and Nikon vortex is the way to go for the money

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Save some coin without sacrificing quality of glass, and get a used pair of 10x42 Swarovskis. You still get top end glass, top end service, a transferable warranty at a fraction of the cost of new. Best choice I've made when it was time to upgrade my binos.
    Used Swaro’s won’t be at a fraction of new cost. They retain their value extremely well. Of the 5 pair that I own, the pockets and the, now discontinued 8x30 SLC’s are really good but not that OMG wow factor. The 10x56 SLC’s, 8.5x42 EL’s and 8x42 NL’s all get the immediate wow factor from everyone who looks through them. I prefer my pocket Leica Ultravids to the pocket Swaro’s. And the aforementioned Vortex Viper HD is on par with the lesser 8x30 SLC’s, at a much lower cost. There is nothing else available that compares to the NL’s.
    Last edited by DoctorJJ; 03-05-2024 at 08:55 PM.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

20. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Vortex. Good for the money. You don’t need high end glass unless you use them in low light situations. That’s where they shine. My Swarovski EL’s are amazing in low light. But Vortex and many of the others mentioned are just about as good in daylight.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast