2010 nitro z7 mercury 150 with tempest 24p

Picked this rig up last year it sat for a few years. Had it completely serviced and gone thru took it to the lake and I'm hitting 4800 rpm @ 44 mph GPS. This don't seem correct to me. I put atlas jack plate on it and test at many different heights with the same results. Motor runs great and gets on plane great. What can my issues be? I don't think it's the hooked hull that's been talked about.

2. Member
    You need to confirm or rule out the hook before anything else. Also the motor could be dropping a coil at higher rpms.

3. Member
    I have a 2008 Nitro z7 and this is exactly what I saw the first time I took it to the lake. If everything in the motor is completely gone through and serviced, it sounds like a hooked hull to me.

With that said, my max RPM was 4800-4900 as well and I ended up having a bad spark plug. If you have an optimax 150 like I do (mine is a 2008), you would have never known it wasnt firing right out of one cylinder. It felt smooth, it ran pretty darn good, just wouldnt go above 5K RPM. New sparks, checked coils, went back to the lake and I gained like 600- 800 RPM. Don't rule out a coil or a bad spark, mine didn't even beep or give any kind of error code on my vessel view either. Not sure how true this is, but apparently these opti's can run on 3 cylinders and never sound an alarm, but there is like a governor that wont let them go above 5K rpms so the motor doesnt become damaged. Not sure how true any of that is, but I was told that like 4-5 years ago when I was going through all this on my purchase.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info. Will check the plugs and coils and go from there. I'm pretty sure it's not a hooked hull as the boat has been in the family since it was purchased new and I don't remember any issues with hitting the rpms or top end speed.

5. Member
    My Z7 is a 2013 and it ran great for 3-4 years. 2017-2018 time frame in started losing RPM and speed. The hull developed a hook over time. Nitro replaced the hull at the end of 2018, and all is good now.