Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    North up, on my Humminbirds I prefer the boat icon on the screen to spin (pointing in the direction its going) and not the map, just easier to determine which way I'm going or want to go. Great thread but I think some of you are confused on the terminology.
    Last edited by FrancoCialone; 03-06-2024 at 03:10 PM.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    If you’re using a heading sensor, it’s set to course up/heading up. I never understood why someone would want north up and their map spinning constantly.
    THIS ^^^^ all my Army buddies have to have North up. Apparently they can read a map any other way LOL
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

3. Member
    Heading up, am I wrong because I thought heading up and course up are different

4. Member
    Last edited by mikeky; 03-06-2024 at 02:44 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    Technically yes but I'm not sure how the unit decides what to do when your boat is pointed one direction but drifting another.

I keep mine on north up and never have to worry about it. I find it easier to run lanes if the map isn't moving.

6. Member
    I also find it easier to setup on waypoints based on wind direction when the graph in on North Up.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I you are sitting still in a spot and a sudden wind gust starts blowing you backwards, your course is 180 degrees relative to your heading. Heading is defined as the direction the bow is pointing. Course is the direction of movement regardless of the bow direction. As for the original question, heading up since I have a heading sensor. Fishing offshore waypoints, I point my bow at the waypoint, turn on casting rings, and start fishing from outside in. Course up, the map will spin and the waypoint can end up behind you with the right current or breeze. North up isn't as bad, the cursor moves but at least you can see where the waypoint is moving.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    Why anyone would want their map constantly spinning is beyond me. Lot of weirds peeps out there though. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Why anyone would want their map constantly spinning is beyond me. Lot of weirds peeps out there though. Lol
    I don't drive the boat in one direction. I spin around and turn all over the place. I really didn't know it was so split on this. Pretty wild to hear all the thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    I would hate that, too. I use head up but there's no spinning. Thank God.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

11. Member
    North Up
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by tritondon150 View Post
    North up. Course up gets confusing
    This.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Member
    Course up. Directionally challenged!

Couirse up.

15. Member
    Here is an example

I go to waypoints and troll around,I like my map to be pointing in the direction I'm going so I can hit that mark

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing addiction View Post
    Here is an example

I go to waypoints and troll around,I like my map to be pointing in the direction I'm going so I can hit that mark
    Me, too. I'm generally following a track or heading to a place or waypoint. Direction is irrelevant.

Another example; if you pick a waypoint to navigate to and then use your plotter to generate a route, then as you follow that route to your waypoint, if you use course up orientation, it will be much easier to follow that route by simply pointing your bow straight up your route as displayed on your screen. No mental exercises required to translate... what you see on the screen is what you see in reality.

In the above situation, if you use North up, there could easily be times when following a route that your little boat icon thing might be pointing backwards or worse, backwards at an angle. You certainly could use visual clues to follow that route but say it's dark or foggy or whatever, it would be challenging to to follow that route on your plotter.

19. Member
    Heading up on the boat, North up on my phone or laptop when I'm home planning and looking at wind direction
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

20. Member
    Course up . With the compass thing ( looks like a heading sensor ) to stop the Spinning.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast