2000 Mercury 225 EFI Leaky trim

Trim unit appears to be leaking out the bottom pin. Any idea what would cause this? Is there seals around the pin that can be replaced?

2. Member
    there are orings on the crosshaft that connects center cylinder to manifold
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I also posted on another Mercury forum page and one guy told me that once those o rings start leaking that the whole unit is junk. He says it’s not worth replacing o rings because they will just keep failing. Would you say that’s true? Or it’s it worth replacing?

4. Member
    Also any idea what kit would have those orings in it?

5. Member
    Salt water corrosion.
    that is a very common repair I see @ the 12 yr or so mark.
    problem is a stainless pin traveling thru an aluminum tilt cyl.
    what happens is the cylinder o ring groove corrodes away and it won't hold the new o ring.
    so you have to replace the entire tilt cyl and stainless shaft.
    by the time you price out parts and labor your better off buying a new trim assy.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Massbays is referring to something that I sincerely doubt you are seeing in NEBRASKA on a freshwater bass-boat. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely the case.

I reseal a dozen or so of these a year and only rarely do I pull one down and declare it "junk". If it's corroded to that extent it should be visually apparent.

The Repair Kit is usually what you need- and a pristine-clean work area. See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum if you would like assistance with Parts (again, serial number is a must).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    ^^^^^^ + 1 replaced several myself , some special tools are needed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................