Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Update:

Was able to do a little troubleshooting yesterday.

1. Hose clamped some 16ga wire to the barrel of the trolling motor. Ran this to the lithium 24v negative, alligator clipped it to the terminal. Running the troller with this configuration did not change the interference level.

2. Same wire alligator clipped to the house/cranking (runs my MFD, other electronics) negative. DRASTICALLY improved the interference visible on the screen. This in combination with brightness/contrast settings on the garmin, was able to almost completely eliminate the wash-out effect I had been experiencing.

Now, the challenge will be to neatly wire this setup as the alligator clip was simply a Jerry-solution to do some field testing.
    I called MK and informed them of what I had done to alleviate the issue. They were very prompt in suggesting that they provide an "internal ground wire kit" so to more cleanly ground the motor. I would have issues stowing and deploying and operating the TM using the external ground wire setup.

I would have been willing to attempt to internally install the ground wire through the shaft of the motor and down the spiral cord, however they were kind in sending me to a Authorized dealer and having this job done by them under warranty. So I left the motor with them and hope to receive it back within a week or so and I will inform you all of the outcome.

The only part I am skeptical of is this internal grounding that they will achieve only grounds the Motor to the 24V power bank that runs the TM. Like I explained in point 1. and 2. I will need to somehow ground the motor back to the HOUSE. Correct me if I am wrong, but after internally grounding the motor to the 24V, if I take a jumper wire and run it from the negative post of the 24V bank up front, and secure it to the negative post on the house, this will establish the same ground as my alligator clip setup (point 2) originally had, yet a much cleaner rigging setup. Please let me know if you see any concerns with this final methodology.

Langdon

2. Member
    YES! Glad you were able to achieve a good outcome!

Not sure about the proposed grounding solution, but I believe it would work.

3. Member
    if you do it like that i would keep an eye on any galvanic corrosion to the motor. youll know it if it happens, it will only take a couple of hours on the water to see some sign of it.

4. Member
    The shop has my motor for warranty installation of an internal ground wire. There will not be any exposed wire on the external of the trolling motor.

They are also replacing under warranty the entire lower unit and shaft... not exactly sure why but they stated "heavy magnet dust" present inside the LU. Maybe this will help. At any rate, ill keep yall updated until I get back on the water with it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whoislang View Post
    The shop has my motor for warranty installation of an internal ground wire. There will not be any exposed wire on the external of the trolling motor.

They are also replacing under warranty the entire lower unit and shaft... not exactly sure why but they stated "heavy magnet dust" present inside the LU. Maybe this will help. At any rate, ill keep yall updated until I get back on the water with it.
    I fought this all last season finally upgraded to Garmin Force. All interference is gone. Good luck.
    1990 Ranger 393v Yamaha Pro V 200 HP

6. Member
    You have luck with the in warranty changes? Running wire to negative posts of each battery plus the jumper didn’t help me. All my interference was eminating from the motor casing itself so yours may be different. I've got a different motor too. Just looking, that fuse, that ain't there, should bond the head to water if it's good but it's not the most direct path compared to a separate conductor. I'm curious if it did. Thanks
    Last edited by JK9027; 04-17-2024 at 07:19 AM.

7. Member
    It comes from the Minkota pulse width modulation in the maximizer. It can't be fixed. I fixed mine with a Garmin Force.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    It comes from the Minkota pulse width modulation in the maximizer. It can't be fixed. I fixed mine with a Garmin Force.
    I tried every forum suggestion. Youtube video. Old wives tale. Finally said F this and bought the Garmin Force. Expensive but worth the money, now I can enjoy fishing again.
    1990 Ranger 393v Yamaha Pro V 200 HP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12