Need some advice

Needing some advice. Long story short had a 1993 nitro fixed it up rebuilt the motor just to hit a tree just below the water at Truman lake, after about a month, totaled the hull. Bought a 1989 201 this weekend with no motor. Have the rebuilt Johnson 115 (yes I know it’s gonna be underpowered) just hoping it will get on plane. I don’t care about speed. Here are a Couple questions:

1. What issues am I going to have going from Merc to Johnson wiring? I know they make an adapter but
    2. Can I just pull the throttle box at the helm off the nitro and put it on the champion (champion one missing neutral button anyways).

3. Will my gauges still work? trim and RPM most importantly. I don’t care about speedometer have graphs for that.

Appreciate the add to the group and any advice.

2. Member
    You can use the controls from the Nitro. Tachometer may or may not work. There also could be a adjustment with 4 clicks on the back of the tach that could allow it to work. Trim gauge probably won't work without changing it, but might. It will get on plane, may run 40 mph.

3. Member
    Appreciate it XRD. I have gotten a little more feedback and starting to feel optimistic that the 115 will get the job done. I might steal more of the gauges off the nitro if I can get them to fit somewhat cleanly. Its not gonna be a show boat by any stretch, but was trying to keep it as clean and original as possible.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Controls will not work they are opposite in their operation wiring harness will be different also Trim Gauge won't work either tach will work if you can select 6 P on it. 50+ years OMC tech and have rigged my share of them.

5. Member
    Put a hotfoot on it to overcome push pull issue
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majatk View Post
    Put a hotfoot on it to overcome push pull issue
    Well there is the shifting thing.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Controls will not work they are opposite in their operation wiring harness will be different also Trim Gauge won't work either tach will work if you can select 6 P on it. 50+ years OMC tech and have rigged my share of them.
    ChampioNman I Appreciate your help. I went ahead and bought the wiring harness adapter rather than trying to pull the controls off the Nitro. I know that the throttle cable ends are different and won't match the Johnson can you change just the ends or do i have to replace the cables.
    Is the throw of the Champion/Mercury throttle so opposite that it won't work at all even with different cables?
    If so what is my best plan of action?

I am starting to feel a little defeated, I know i am not the first person to put a Johnson on a ChampioN, but may have bit off more than I can chew.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes the throw is 180* out of each other. You'll need the control box and cables, surprised it didn't come with one.