Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quest Dead and backordered

Was told today that my brand new non functioning Quest is on backorder. They've authorized a replacement, but are now telling me it will be months to get one. So basically, I bought a brand new boat, 4 new graphs, got excited about my tournament season, and now I'm out of commission for the entire spring.

Do I go buy another, then sell the replacement at a loss when it comes in? The stores apparently have them. Or do I go buy a Ghost or Force and just throw in the towel on this company.

For background, my old Ultrex on my previous boat cost me two months of tournaments last spring with failures, so I'm pretty frustrated with them at this point.

Can the dealer you bought the new boat from help you out?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    Can the dealer you bought the new boat from help you out?
    They have none in stock. It'd the version with side imaging, and no one has them. I may need to step down to the model below it. Those are available.

I suggest a used Facebook trolling motor to get you by until the Quest is available. Something to get you on the water and you could resell and not be out much if any.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    I suggest a used Facebook trolling motor to get you by until the Quest is available. Something to get you on the water and you could resell and not be out much if any.
    Gonna look and see if the bolt patterns are the same as the ultrex or Fortrex. That's a good idea if they are. I won't drill new holes if they aren't though.

I have a Fortrex off if you need measurements for the mount.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    I have a Fortrex off if you need measurements for the mount.
    Yes - I'll measure mine when i get home this evening. Thank you that will help a lot.

8. Member
    Pretty sure I've read that the bolt pattern is the same for Quest and Ultrex/ Fortrex, but the bolt holes of the Quest are a larger diameter
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Pretty sure I've read that the bolt pattern is the same for Quest and Ultrex/ Fortrex, but the bolt holes of the Quest are a larger diameter

This

10. Member
    I'm thinking about just abandoning ship and putting a PP Move on it. I'll sell the Quest when it's replaced without opening the box. I'm not sure I want to give them any more of my loyalty. Gonna sleep on it and see tomorrow.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    I'm thinking about just abandoning ship and putting a PP Move on it. I'll sell the Quest when it's replaced without opening the box. I'm not sure I want to give them any more of my loyalty. Gonna sleep on it and see tomorrow.
    if you can swing it, that is a homerun!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    Isnt pp move the one that if you lift it up say in shallow water it wont move?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post
    Isnt pp move the one that if you lift it up say in shallow water it wont move?
    Yep that's what I'm reading. Apparently if you lift it, it immediately rotates to the stow position. That would be a deal breaker for me if that hasn't been corrected in a firmware update.

14. Member
    Yep that's what I'm reading. Apparently if you lift it, it immediately rotates to the stow position. That would be a deal breaker for me if that hasn't been corrected in a firmware update.

I had ultrex issues when they first came out, they always wanted mine back so they sent me another quickly. I had 3 different units in the first year. My repair guy locally said its the same with the quest. right now It sounds like you need to talk to someone else. Or maybe your letting somone else do the talking for you and you need to do it yourself?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post
    I had ultrex issues when they first came out, they always wanted mine back so they sent me another quickly. I had 3 different units in the first year. My repair guy locally said its the same with the quest. right now It sounds like you need to talk to someone else. Or maybe your letting somone else do the talking for you and you need to do it yourself?
    I spoke with Minn Kota today for the second time. My official service reo tried repairing it, which didn't work, and then submitted a claim to have it totally replaced. They agreed. Then said sorry but we don't have one we can send you, and it could be several months. Yet TW has one listed as available on their site. I have a hard time believing the Elites are this vulnerable to a service issue - there has to be one available somewhere that they can send me. It's costing me my whole tournament season.Screenshot_20240304_223226_Gmail.jpg
    Last edited by blakesfav; 03-04-2024 at 10:34 PM.

16. Member
    Never get the first year of a new product that comes out, and never have a spot lock trolling motor without a regular cable steer backup. I will stick with the regular Ultrex, proven reliability, easy to fix and parts are cheap and easy to find.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Never get the first year of a new product that comes out, and never have a spot lock trolling motor without a regular cable steer backup. I will stick with the regular Ultrex, proven reliability, easy to fix and parts are cheap and easy to find.
    My last two Ultrexs were not great. I really wanted to go another direction on this boat, but I love my HB graphs, and wanted it all to integrate. I regret the purchase now. FWIW, I replaced 4 motherboards and literally an entire motor on my last two Ultrexes. They work great when they work.

Also FWIW, my 2017 boat had 120 hours on it when I sold it this year, so they don't get much use. I just haven't had good luck with them.

18. Member
    Seems like nothing is made perfect anymore , terrible already to have problems like this

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    Seems like nothing is made perfect anymore , terrible already to have problems like this
    I completely agree. The mometary switch on the new Quest is the same one on the old Ultrex that constantly breaks. I couldn't believe they didn't upgrade this on the new motor - it's literally a 5 dollar piece of plastic. I'd rather pay 100 dollars more for something that was designed to last.

20. Member
    I completely agree. The mometary switch on the new Quest is the same one on the old Ultrex that constantly breaks. I couldn't believe they didn't upgrade this on the new motor - it's literally a 5 dollar piece of plastic. I'd rather pay 100 dollars more for something that was designed to last.
    Ive never broke one, Ive had ultrex since they very very first came out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast