921 motor wiring

My buddy has a new 921. His motor will start WITHOUT the battery switch turned ON! Is this the way Phoenix wires there boats from the factory??

2. Member
    Yep that’s how mine is and the trim buttons on the bow still have power. I almost put my lower unit through my garage wall when I accidentally hit the up switch with a rod butt thinking all power was off.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Pretty easy to install a switch to make sure that doesn’t happen.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Pretty easy to install a switch to make sure that doesn’t happen.
    He HAS a Perko switch installed when he picked up the boat from the dealer! I guess my real question IS, why was it wired like this? I fixed it for him but, WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    He HAS a Perko switch installed when he picked up the boat from the dealer! I guess my real question IS, why was it wired like this? I fixed it for him but, WTF!
    I get it! I have no idea why!

Friend of mine has a Tracker boat. No switch! Guess what happened? He had an electrical short on the motor. It caught on fire with no way to switch off the battery. I saw the smoke and hauled butt to his boat. Tossed him a fire extinguisher and a wrench to remove the battery cable. It wasn’t pretty. A switch would have saved the day.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Funny thing is, we talked to a couple other Phoenix boat owners at the lake and they said that's how their boat was wired too! They all assumed it was NORMAL! NOT! One of the owners still had his wired like that. Does Phoenix have a quality control section or is this just their established way to wire them? Curious for sure! Also the auto bilge is wired wrong as well. The auto bilge will not come on unless the Perko switch is ON. I told my buddy that is not the way it should be wired. His dealer is going to get a mouthful, especially after spending 115K for his boat.

7. Member
    Yes that’s how they come from the factory. I attached mine to the switch
    2023 921 Elite
    Mercury 25 Pro XS Bobs Hydraulic
    Power Poles
    Humminbird 12 gen4, and 3 10 Gen4
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

8. Member
    I have a 2018 721 with upgraded wiring which I believe is standard on the 9series. My motor stays powered up with the perko switch off cause the wire is connected straight to the battery. On the circuit box where the perko is, there is an open lug on the outside with no wire connected to it. That lug is controlled by the perko. Just move the wire from the battery to that lug and it will power down your motor.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad202 View Post
    I have a 2018 721 with upgraded wiring which I believe is standard on the 9series. My motor stays powered up with the perko switch off cause the wire is connected straight to the battery. On the circuit box where the perko is, there is an open lug on the outside with no wire connected to it. That lug is controlled by the perko. Just move the wire from the battery to that lug and it will power down your motor.
    Exactly! That is where I installed his motor wire, thank you! My question is, Why doesn't Phoenix connect it like that?

10. Member
    They just give you the option. I like the motor powered up cause I trim down to stow the boat and they back up when I go fishing. Makes it easier.
    Last edited by chad202; 03-09-2024 at 07:35 AM.
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763