Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Not impressed with video game fishing

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Just more bitching by another old dude that can't hang anymore.

3. Member
    What my own personal experience using my livescope the last 5 years has taught me is that much of what we believed about bass behavior and location was simply wrong. A lot of the knowledge the older pros had and shared as gospel in magazines and seminars wasn't correct. There have been a ton of misconceptions for years and a little time scoping quickly shows it.
    yep.. this is the most interesting thing to me, the decades of learning and "knowing" what bass do has in the last 5 years become mind blowing.

I remember growing up fishing and people fishing with me(that had little to no experience) would cast out away from the bank while im beating the bank i would laugh and say the fish are up here on the bank.. Or i would laugh at people fishing from the bank casting out towards the middle.. I knew i should of listened back then

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    Would love to see the wind tunnel footage of an engineer sitting in the car testing different glove designs. Going to be fun to see what happens when they ban some FFS and other optioins pop up. Bet the electronic companies are working on it now.

He won the pole at Daytona using it.
    Those boys literally get paid to find an advantage in thr hopes of staying in the gray and not getting caught in the red lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCrappie View Post
    Not impressed with video game fishing
    You tried it and didn't like it?
    You don't like watching it?
    Not impressed with the daily weights?

If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Just wait until some of these guys that have been on tour for several years master FFS. I agree 100% with JT Thompkins. The first guys to figure out how to mesh FFS with their old school knowledge will be unstoppable. It's coming. Just wait.
    I’d say many fishermen have already, and not just in the tournament world.

The trick is when to realize what old school knowledge isn’t correct or needs to be adjusted.

I agree with your general sentiment, though. Right now it seems like being unaware of conventional wisdom can be an advantage at times.

We are definitely on the precipice of an era of great success in fishing, and I think it’s fascinating to be able to participate.

7. Member
    Just more bitching by another old dude that can't hang anymore.
    Exactly, sounds like they need to form a seniors league or retire.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    I disagree. There was a art back in the day to dragging a Carolina rig to learn bottom structure as just a example. All the technology is great but the instincts and ability and learning curve is greatly reduced. There are some anglers on the elites now that are there because of a little bit of "fishing skill" and a strong understanding of technology. I remember a phrase from my grandpa many years ago when I was blown away by some boats that pulled into the ramp as we were taking off. He said to remember boats don't catch fish the fisherman do and that 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman.

I see it getting to a point that the boat and tech now determines for many if and how they catch fish. The guys doing great with the tech still have to have some knowledge and instincts to find the fish with FFS but it's completely different than it was even 5 years ago.

If you look at the sponsor dollars in electronics (I know not all are getting all of them for free but there not paying what typical consumers pay) on the bow of boats it is insane. Think of who is really paying for that. When the college fishing was starting to take off we had a local bait shop sponser the Kansas State Team. We were able to get a 40% discount off everything in the store except Lucky Craft. The owner explained to us that those $12 crankbaits and little markup for the shop and that close to $7 to $8 of that cost was marketing costs for the company.

I think there needs to be some sort of limitation. X amount of square inches of screen space, x amount of transducers total for the boat, and then let the individual anglers pick their tools. It's kind of like golf. Only allowed so many clubs in the bag. Make anglers choose between a FFS transducer or a mega 360.

My dad just bought property at a lake we've been going to our entire life. Never fished the creek where the lot is, no house yet just the lot and dock the seller sold his pontoon to us. We went up saturday to run the boat and check on things, i brought a rod with C-rig just to fan cast off the dock and see what kind of bottom we were working with lol..

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    We are definitely on the precipice of an era of great success in fishing, and I think it’s fascinating to be able to participate.
    Said every electronics company.....
    “Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching—even when doing the wrong thing is legal.” —Unknown

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Exactly, sounds like they need to form a seniors league or retire.
    Maybe they will use their pull, gravitas and respect gained from being respectful and land on the advisory committee or push the advisory committee in a certain direction? I bet there will be a lot of squawking and whining of that being "unfair" when they use that power to change the rules in a drastic manner. Who do you think the BASS leaders will listen to- the legends of the sport with a perspective gained over decades of participation, or some kid barely out of high school or some third rate community college who is calling people fossils, dinosaurs, and "old dudes who can't hang"? Some of the comments are getting very close to being bigoted, and the Gen Alphabetters might need to learn what getting "hoisted on their own petard" means.

Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    People who use this argument totally ignore the PRINCIPLE that is the biggest part of this discussion- you boil it down to something that you think is easier for you to defend-then you state what you think the new arbitrary limit should be. People not addressing the principle of the discussion caused people to keep talking past each other, since they cannot get to the root of it all.

One other matter that the "angler who's name shall not be mentioned" brought up recently is the incidence of snagging and foul hooking bass with the aid of FFS. Regardless of if they are "spawning" or not, isn't this a form of "sight fishing" and should fish caught outside the mouth be allowed to count in a tournament? Incidental hook-up outside the mouth can be counted, as long as the state game rules are consistent with that allowance, but should that be reconsidered and changed? Why not put extra-large hooks on a jerkbait so ripping them would increase the chance of an "inadvertent" foul hook when a bass is dancing around a jerkbait trying to decide whether to bite it or not?
    Which is exactly why I started the thread the other day about using technology that helps find fish vs technology that is used to catch fish. Until we get to the core disagreement, everything else is just wasted breath and will never allow one side to see the basis on which other side rests their argument.

There are two other issues on which the two sides disagree:

(1) Is using FFS that helps catch fish "fair chase." What is "fair chase?"

(2) Should there be any limit on technology or, as some have suggested, as long as the angler catches the fish using a rod, reel, and lure, everything else is fair game. If one believes that there should be a limit on technology, where should that limit be?
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 03-04-2024 at 11:59 AM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

NBA has different rules and degree of difficulty than college and high school, mlb has rule and equipment changes from college, high school. Golf has parameters their equipment has to stay within, so why should fishing be any different?
    Phillipians 4:13-For I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJHall11 View Post
    NBA has different rules and degree of difficulty than college and high school, mlb has rule and equipment changes from college, high school. Golf has parameters their equipment has to stay within, so why should fishing be any different?
    Then again, why can't fishing be different?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Which is exactly why I started the thread the other day about using technology that helps find fish vs technology that is used to catch fish. Until we get to the core disagreement, everything else is just wasted breath and will never allow one side to see the basis on which other side rests their arguement.
    I think the professional fishermen who are on the "Pro-FFS" side would be wise to not let the "Pro-FFS" examples on this board be the template they follow in any future discussion or debate.

15. Member
    My two cents. The pros with 6 or more graphs have made the average fisherman think he needs that many. I know of two people that have 3 or more graphs and neither one could physically punch in a waypoint. This has lead to making the cost of a bass boat unaffordable for a lot of people. You buy a 65,000 dollar bass boat and then add $30,000 worth of electronics. I think the boat manufacturers are recognizing this and will be chewing the ears of this new advisory committee.

I look for them to limit boats to no more than 3 depth finders. FFS will be allowed but with only one transducer.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BWQK View Post
    My two cents. The pros with 6 or more graphs have made the average fisherman think he needs that many. I know of two people that have 3 or more graphs and neither one could physically punch in a waypoint. This has lead to making the cost of a bass boat unaffordable for a lot of people. You buy a 65,000 dollar bass boat and then add $30,000 worth of electronics. I think the boat manufacturers are recognizing this and will be chewing the ears of this new advisory committee.

I look for them to limit boats to no more than 3 depth finders. FFS will be allowed but with only one transducer.
    Then the electronics manufacturers will develop a single transducer that has 2D, DS, SS, 360 live sonar, etc. Most likely in the works as we speak.

17. Member
    YES, but its a new generation. Sadly BASS and MLF is going to listen to the young up and coming guys because they are the future.

18. Member
    Steph Curry changed the game of basketball, if you cant shoot from half court consitently now you might as well give it up..

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    If they ban it the companies won't give BASS anymore sponsorship money. To much money involved now to ban it. Couldn't imagine it costing Garmin or Lowrance $400 to make a 12" and livescope.

if these companies are pouring money into the tourneys why hasnt the payout increased ? So where has all this money went ?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badboyjigs View Post
    if these companies are pouring money into the tourneys why hasnt the payout increased ? So where has all this money went ?
    Thats what i dont understand.. 1st place has been at near 100k for how long? on both trails.. Forest wood cup started out at $500k... Entry fees have gone up and the cost of living and the fishing industry is bigger then ever. Why are payouts at the pro level not more?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast