Thread: Father Stu

Father Stu

I happen to watch this film that is based on the actual life of Stuart Long, a football player, wrestler, boxer who had attended a private Catholic college in Helena. Long experienced a religious conversion after a near-death motorcycle accident where he suffered brain swelling and was not expected to survive, but recovered. Long gave away most of his possessions and began considering religious life, who accepted as a seminarian to Mt. Angel Seminary. During his time at the seminary, he was diagnosed with inclusion body myositis, a rare progressive muscle disorder similar to muscular dystrophy. During this time, Long visited the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes, yet when he was not healed, Long was devastated and felt abandoned, but after visiting the grotto a second time, he felt a profound peace from some sort of mystical encounter with Joan of Arc, after which he felt he was being called to carry his disease for Christ.
    Long was ordained a priest on December 14, 2007, making this statement "I stand before you as a broken man. Barring a miracle, I'm going to die from this disease, but I carry it for the cross of Christ, and we can all carry our crosses." As he grew weaker, friends assisted Long to celebrate Mass by guiding his fingers to touch the right items, and his parents were received into the Catholic Church, with many of the healthcare workers at the care facility converted to Catholicism.
    Long died on June 9, 2014 at the age of 50.
    During my past year in my journey with pancreatic cancer has allowed me to relate to Stu, since I was asked if I was upset and angry with God multiple times, yet from the very beginning, I asked God where do we go from here with His initial reply being Isaiah 41:10 though it took me a while to understand to set my life in the hands of Christ. God has made it clear throughout Scriptures His promise to be with us no matter what it's happening in our lives. God is the constant in time of turmoil no matter what is happening or how we are being afflicted, and Christ promised to take upon Him all the adversities and stumbling blocks that will come in our way. His love for us will overcome evil and makes us rejoice even in the darkest times of our live.
    I reckon as I stand in Christ I have no other alternative but to fully understand the above statement Stu made when he was ordained. Amen

2. Member
    I have always said everyone has a cross to bear, give it to Christ and the journey will be light. It is a blessing to be here, but for those who believe it is a greater blessing to be with God. Prayers for your journey and all the others who seem to carry a burden.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

3. Member
    Frank it is very obvious that you walk by Faith and are Saved by Grace.

None of us know when our appointed time is but we remember that Jesus promised to never leave us nor forsake us.

Scripture tells us that " to be absent of the body is to be present with the Lord" for believers.

I like the old hymn " My Hope is Built on Nothing Less than Jesus Blood and Richeousness".

May God continue to Bless you as you live for Him.

Standing firm, holding on.

Gary, your Brother in Christ
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

4. Member
    Thank you Gary for your prayers and inspiring words. I had my surgery on Jan 3 and though the Drs have declared me cancer free, I strongly believe God is the only one that knows the truth in matters such as this, so I rest my life upon the cross of Christ letting Him decide where my recovery truly resides. Christ is the only one that can truly proclaim me cancer free, and when He does, let the glory be onto God the Father for His mercy.

In the grace and peace of Christ I stand with you,
    Frank

5. Member
    Praise God!….and may He continue to bless you and your family.

6. Member
    Frank, it’s funny you bring this movie/story up. I actually watched this movie on a an airplane to Scotland with my dad. It was the trip of a lifetime to see the 150th Open Championship at the birthplace of golf / The Old Course at St Andrew’s.

Just over a year after that trip (now about six months ago) my dad lost his battle with cancer. He fought cancer and won 6 times. He had been cancer free for 10 years when they found a small spot on his liver and later several more spots on his colon. I still miss him every day, and probably will for the rest of my life, but he was a faithful man and I have confidence he is now in paradise.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinFamily View Post
    Frank, it’s funny you bring this movie/story up. I actually watched this movie on a an airplane to Scotland with my dad. It was the trip of a lifetime to see the 150th Open Championship at the birthplace of golf / The Old Course at St Andrew’s.

Just over a year after that trip (now about six months ago) my dad lost his battle with cancer. He fought cancer and won 6 times. He had been cancer free for 10 years when they found a small spot on his liver and later several more spots on his colon. I still miss him every day, and probably will for the rest of my life, but he was a faithful man and I have confidence he is now in paradise.
    Bill,
    I am glad to hear of the wonderful memories you made with your dad and I have no doubt that they will be with you forever. I am sorry to hear of his passing, but you will be seeing him again since we will all stand before the Lord and confess to the Father on bended knees. I can attest that cancer is a multitude of challenges, yet I know that God will never give us a cross that we are not able to bear.
    May the grace and peace of Christ be with you
    Frank