03 250xs lower unit options

So I hit a log and pretty sure messed up some teeth on the lower and cracked the case.

SN 0t652501

I know torquemaster is what came on it but I keep seeing talk about the Verado case. I'm looking for a used lower as I don't really want to turn it in on insurance. What ones will work as the information is all over the place.

2. Member
    brand of boat , speed capability ???? please i have replaced many running in the mid to high 70 mph with VERADO cases
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    It's on a old Nitro it is mid 70's max. Fastest I have run it on the current setup is 74 and that was on the limiter

I was told the Verado was a good option but how do I determine it is a "Verado" case?

4. Member
    Is it possible someone can tell me if this case will work?
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    cannot from that number , what did it come off of ???? some of the very early 3.0 engines had different spline on drive shaft your engine should have had a torque master on it originally and some early ones had a 1 in propshaft
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's just a casting number. Either the serial number it came from, or pictures of the entire gearcase from each side (and the aft end).

Verado-Style will work for you... it was used primarily on Standard Optimax models (200/225/250) from July 2006 and beyond. LIMITED ProXS models also used this case.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Let me know if this is enough to tell. I'm trying to get a SN. Buying a used one is not ideal but I don't really want to turn it in on insurance.

It does have the drain on the prop side
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Those pics are a older Gen1 TM
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS