Some advice please regarding low oil alarm

I have a 2000 OX66 225 that has been rebuilt and runs great except for this new infrequent problem. Starting last summer, the low oil alarm/buzzer started coming on. It has never come on while running, only after I stopped, fished a while and slowly started motoring around. I have replaced the filter on the oil tank in the back of the boat. I have taken off the float on the motor oil tank and it seems to work properly, the floats seems to work and sound the alarm when I rotate it simulating low oil. Never has either oil tank been low and the motor seems to be consuming oil as normal. I am pretty confident the motor is getting the proper amount of oil/fuel mixture. So where do I go from here? Is the low oil sensor bad? What else can I check? This does not happen on every outing, its very random. But when it happens, as you know I can't get over 2000 RPM and its stressful getting back to the dock. Then the next time I take the boat out everything is perfect, no issues the whole day. I am at a loss.

2. Member
    Please delete. Its is obviously no one has any knowledge or advice. If I knew how to delete the post I would. Thanks.

3. Member
    Maybe it is just that those with some knowledge of the system have not seen your post. Until now.

4. Member
    I thought that I had solved this random issue last year when I changed the filter on the remote tank, cleaned hoses, etc. I did the electrical checks and verified the oil tank on the motor would call for oil when the float was moved and the pump on the remote tank did pump oil. I went two months with no alarm. Now it has started again, and as I said, both tanks have oil when I check them. The alarm only comes on after idling, not while running. I just purchased new sensors from SIMYamaha, so we will see.

5. Member
    Just a thought....if your boat is a 2000 Skeeter, it likely has the small low oil and overheat lights on the dash as well as audible alarm. Any chance the wiring for these somewhere between engine to dash could have been reversed and you're actually getting an overheat alarm? My 2002 ox66 would sometimes give an overheating alarm at idle even though it was fine at speed.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MYRX View Post
    I thought that I had solved this random issue last year when I changed the filter on the remote tank, cleaned hoses, etc. I did the electrical checks and verified the oil tank on the motor would call for oil when the float was moved and the pump on the remote tank did pump oil. I went two months with no alarm. Now it has started again, and as I said, both tanks have oil when I check them. The alarm only comes on after idling, not while running. I just purchased new sensors from SIMYamaha, so we will see.
    Low system voltage can cause the low oil alarm to be activated.

As can a wire that is chafed to ground.

7. Member
    What do you mean by low system voltage? To answer another question, my boat is a TR21. It does have the overheat and low oil warning lights on the dash. My motor was rebuilt by Hydro tec several years ago, I would not think the thermostats are bad but they can be easily replaced if i don't solve this issue soon. I am not sure how to check if a wire is chafed to ground, please advise. I do have a very nice voltmeter, but not an expert for checking electrical issues