Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And after replacement of the gasket and impeller, backing the boat into the water and starting the engine, your results were?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Have not been able to tow the boat to try at a ramp as I cannot replace mid section cowl till the threaded insert and bracket arrive from mercury that broke while going in to inspect the lower filter. Do not want to trailer with the cowlings off.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gotcha... will watch to hear back from you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ran it in a tank today. Water was up to the cavitation plate. Pee was good.... Ran only three minutes maybe, temp went up to 152 then started dropping but had zero water pressure on Merc monitor. I know I was losing lots thru the mid section over the tank a little so would be different in the lake but I got my doubts. Still no parts from Mercury to put cowl on. Always something with a boat. New or old.

6. Member
    Are you running a manual water pressure gauge or utilizing a smartcraft gauge? If you have water coming out of the motor, it could be something as simple as your gauge going bad. My gauge will not register in pressure at idle but shows 30psi at WOT

7. Member
    Have both. I'm having doubts in my analog as it's not working when I put the air hose to it but the one plugged to my ecm is registering psi when I put a little air to the water line.

8. Member
    So ran it in the lake today, the pee from the water line from the block was little stronger for sure. Motor ran up to low 160s and would come down to low 150s and stay. Give a little throttle.... Understand this is in neutral on the trailer.... It would drop to 127 then creep to about 135.... BUT STILL ZERO WATER PRESSURE AT EITHER GAUGE.i tried just hooking up each gauge to the line by itself and no change. There's def water pressure in my mind but nothing in the Merc monitor or analog. Tested with air hose and the digital one will read pressure with a air. The in dash analog will not show any. Have I damaged these sendors with the air? So frustrating.
    Last edited by Travis; 03-18-2024 at 07:05 PM.

9. Member
    Which is the correct sensor for my engine? 8m0142696?
    Or 8m0059531?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Which is the correct sensor for my engine? 8m0142696?
    Or 8m0059531?
    Travis- that depends on whether you intend to use an Analog Gauge (or NOT).

With ONLY Smartcraft: 8M0142696.

The other sensor (along with a tee, piece of hose, and adapter fitting) works with Smartcraft. Use ONLY an OEM part from a Mercury Dealer (there are knock-offs out there and they usually don't work).

11. Member
    Don, I teed it in like you had on a post to use both analog and the Merc monitor(plugging up to ecm) I used the 531 sensor tho as in that post and that's the wrong sensor for my 250 looks like looking at the parts catalog number 10 on my engine. So that might be part of my problem.

12. Member
    I have the tee, adaptor and fitting all Mercury parts but I used the wrong sendor looks like and the analogy in my dash appears to not be working all together. So I need to order the 8M0142696

13. Member
    So I see the threads are for the block for the correct sensor. Does Mercury make the quick connector to fit these threads so I can have both analog and the digital?

14. Member
    So is the only difference in those two sendors the threads? I think I misread your post about which one to use and see now that you meant to use the one for the 150 4s for the tee application and the other to screw straight into my block.

15. Member
    Also, is the 8M0183166 mercury inline strainer another filter I need to check and clean? Is it the intake for the cooling system?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    So is the only difference in those two sendors the threads? I think I misread your post about which one to use and see now that you meant to use the one for the 150 4s for the tee application and the other to screw straight into my block.
    Travis- PLEASE keep to one topic, at least until it's resolved. Really helps to get a response in edgewise before the next one comes up.

There is ONE setup I suggested, with ONE specific alternative sensor. Can't just use "any old pressure sensor".

Either use the block mounted sensor and NO analog gauge, or use the precise materials listed here:

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...25#post9724125

17. Member
    Those in the link I installed when I installed the second water pump kit. That's what I'm saying. I've tried it all.

18. Member
    This is why I asked the difference on the two part number sendors.... Is it just the threads? The other part number is for a strainer as mercury calls it. In my mind this is all the same topic. No water pressure.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This is why I asked the difference on the two part number sendors.... Is it just the threads? The other part number is for a strainer as mercury calls it. In my mind this is all the same topic. No water pressure.
    ]

Simply the thread size is the difference, provided that you're comparing OEM Quicksilver/Mercury parts. There is a MOUNTAIN of junk sensors out there on the 'zon and 'bay that aren't worth the shipping to send them to the trash can.

The strainers are in place to help protect the cooling passages of the exhaust system from becoming clogged. Two of them are accessible up top, one is not (down low underneath the port side lower cowling).

20. Member
    Yes and the 8M0059531 I installed after I intially had my first overheat alarm and it was a quicksilver item in its packaging. I T-eed it in just as shown in your link in the above post but it never showed any water pressure while testing at the lake but it does show a reading with a little air. I have another on the way as well as the block sensor for my motor so I can test both of them if one doesn't show. I just cannot use the analog set up with the course thread sendor I know. I just need to see some pressure some how so I can put this behind me.

The third strainer on the port side midsection area I have checked already and found clean. According to the mercury parts breakdown on my serial number engine, there is another (4th) strainer on the starboard rear section of the mid section on the inlet tube...
    8M0183166.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast