Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aftco or Simms mid priced rain gear ?

Looking into a new mid-priced ($250 ish) rain suit. Anything better I should be looking at other than Simms Challenger or Aftco Hydronaught Hvy Duty ? The BPS 100MPH jacket is out as I could no longer deal with the flaps on the hood beating me in the face . Worst design imaginable.

2. Member
    I have the AFTO hydro and its ok, its hard to get off the shoulders compared to my other ones because the way its made and it has to come off the shoulders to take a piss because when you zip it all the way down the bottom 6-8" has a fabric thats solid across. Id give it 3 out of 5 stars.

I can't speak on AFTCO as ive never worn any of theirs but the Simms Challenger is super comfortable, keeps you extremely dry and doesn't feel like it's made out of sandpaper. The cut of the suit is ergonomic so you can move around easily in the boat.

4. Member
    I’ve had both, and personally think the hydronaut is better quality rain gear. That said as said above, the bibs with no fly is a terrible design, I’d go with something other than hydronaut for bibs.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    We've been very happy with our AFTCO . They are perfect for spring and fall. In the summer months when a storm pops up or it rains it can get toasty but you'll be dry as a bone.

We returned the Simms to get the AFTCO.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

6. Member
    I have no experience with Aftco,but have had several different suits. The Simms Challenger is by far the most comfortable suit I've ever owned. Super soft and doesn't bind like other suits, and very dry.

7. Member
    I would recommend Simms. I have the challenger insulated bibs and coat. Very comfortable and warm! I also have the pro dry suit for the warmer weather. I can’t say enough good things about all there products. There sun gear,shorts,pants and flannel shirts are very nice. I have lots of the button shirts for Sunday dress…. I have gone the cheaper route before and that has never worked. I do better and save money just getting the good stuff first.

8. Member
    Simms

9. Member
    I love the design of the aftco bibbs. Your shoulders don’t hurt after wearing all day. That’s as far as I go though with them. My suit is a year old and absorbs water like a microfiber towel now. I wouldn’t buy again.

10. Member
    Simms Challenger for me too!

11. Member
    I have the 100 mph rain gear both bibs and coat and like the man says the flap on the hood SUX but it does it's job very well keeping me dry.

12. Member
    Hopefully you have a place where you can try some different brands. No matter what brand you do have to take care of them. That way they stay waterproof. One advantage of sticking with one brand for your apparel is you learn what size to order as well.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Hopefully you have a place where you can try some different brands. No matter what brand you do have to take care of them. That way they stay waterproof. One advantage of sticking with one brand for your apparel is you learn what size to order as well.
    You are absolutely correct! My biggest problem is the leg length of the bib's. Watching most of the pros they have the same problem.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Have tried on the Simms at Susquehanna Tackle. They carry Aftco but I haven’t tried that on. They have their spring sale coming.

15. Member
    That is an issue. Everything in simms I run a 32 length but in the bib’s that like 6” to long Lol. So I just ordered 30” long bibs. I tried them on at Scheels and then ordered the right size online.

16. Member
    If you can somehow get the pro dry suit you will thank me!! I'll wear them all summer long in the morning. We get really bad doo in the summer so the boat seats are dripping wet in the morning till it warms up. Then just take them off and roll them up and but in the box.

17. Member
    There are things in life where it’s better to not be cheap. To me, that includes rain and/or cold weather gear. The longer you can stay warm/dry the easier it is to keep going physically/mentally.

in the hunting world, I’ve tried Cabelas gear, bass pro, Drake, Sitka, Helly Hanson and more. Where we duck hunt (rice decomp water) the windy rain is the time to be out there. All of the above have left me wet and cold.

Moving to Kuiu has been solid for hunting rain gear.

For fishing I sucked it up to buy Simms Pro Dry gear (mismatched jacket and bibs because I am cheap) and it was a great improvement. Spent another day in the rain this past Thursday. I had a little water slip past my sleeve cuffs when retying after a break off, other than that bone dry and fine. I should have checked my cuffs.

I was the last boat in the water because it was miserable rain. It would be nice to say it was best fishing ever but it was only OK.

Save your money or do some sidework… step up to the better gear. It’s better than it being a closet queen in a year because it’s leaking and you won’t wear it anymore anyway. Been there done that.

In my simple mind… Simms had been a premier wader supplier for decades. If they can keep us dry when standing belly deep on water… They would know how to seal seams, buy correct waterproof materials for a jacket and bibs.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I can't speak on AFTCO as ive never worn any of theirs but the Simms Challenger is super comfortable, keeps you extremely dry and doesn't feel like it's made out of sandpaper. The cut of the suit is ergonomic so you can move around easily in the boat.

I second the Simms. I stood out in the rain all day long, 48 degree temps, on G-ville this past Friday and stayed bone dry. So far it has been a great suit. It is light, so not sure how it will hold up over time, but so far I love it.

19. Member
    Check out Gill. Mine is 8 years old and I am just now needing to order their treatment spray to bring waterproofing back.

I got my son the Hydronots just to try them.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

20. Member
    Bought the Aftco and sent it back. The fit on the bibs is weird, not a fan of the shoulder design at all. Jacket fit be like a garbage bag, they seem to be made for very heavy set dudes. I’m extremely picky on the way my gear fits. I wear the Simms CX bibs, awesome fit and a jacket made a ski wear company, way better fit than fishing gear.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast