Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Found a dead Eagle

The 1st day out this year fishing the Mississippi River last Tuesday in northern Illinois. We came across a dead Bald Eagle sprawled out 15ft from shore. It took a few calls to officials, but I finally did get in touch with an Iowa DNR officer who understood where to find it for retrieval. I had taken pictures from the boat and decided to post on Facebook Mississippi River Photos page. My only statement was that I found it and was attempting to contact the COE and DNR to come get it. Right away the FB trolls were griping about windmills, lead shot and sinkers, bonehead hunters, posting pictures of the poor dead bird, Eagles are a nuisance, whatever! The moderator shut down comments in no time. I'm pretty sure that even Eagles die of old age on occasion!
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

2. Member
    Sad situation.

Another reason why social media can be a cancer and lead to depression… it’s just such a negative place yet everyone is encouraged/expected to display their lives on it.. I got rid of Facebook and nearly all social media accounts besides BBC boards a couple months after I got married in 2018 and I’m much happier without it
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Sad situation.

Another reason why social media can be a cancer and lead to depression… it’s just such a negative place yet everyone is encouraged/expected to display their lives on it.. I got rid of Facebook and nearly all social media accounts besides BBC boards a couple months after I got married in 2018 and I’m much happier without it

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Sad situation.

Well said. Even on here, one has to be careful not to say anything controversial, because those who *think* they hold a different view [and often, they’ve misinterpreted the comment they’re responding to] won’t hesitate to roast you. As I get older, I strive for less negativity in my life, so I feel for the OP in this case.

5. Member
    Sad to see a Dead Bald Eagle. Hope no one killed it. Yea BBC is the only social media I do.

6. Member
    Well you said Facebook so there you go…

What goes up, must come down.

Hope it had a chance to soar like an eagle for a long time.

8. Member
    Social media is the curse of the 21st century. Ruining our kids.

9. Member
    When I lived in Calif, a dead eagle would literally be the end of the world. Now that I reside in Montana, the response would be …. Actually no response. We have lots of them flying around. But they are a beautiful bird

10. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wna1911 View Post
    Social media is the curse of the 21st century. Ruining our kids.

Not just the kids......
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

11. Member
    What did the officer say to do? Leave it,Bring it in?

12. Member
    We have a lot of Bald Eagles here. They are our national symbol, but just like all raptors they are feeders of opportunity. You will see them alongside the road eating slow road crossers just like buzzards.
    They can be hit by cars too.

13. Member
    I seen the dead squirrel on the road. Should I call conservation?
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

14. Member
    I almost hit one with my truck when I was on a two lane road in Montana. It was feeding on a road kill antelope. It flew up just as I drove by.

Quote Originally Posted by RNKingCx19 View Post
    Take it to Adam, is what they suggested.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNKingCx19 View Post
    LOL! Sure- put it in a bag and drive down the road with a dead bald eagle in your vehicle. That would be the best intelligence test ever invented. P.S. The OP said what they told him over the phone.

WRT Facebook- I think it is a lot like livescope- it helps you learn SO MUCH MORE about some people- just like livescope helps you learn SO MUCH MORE about bass behavior. Interesting in a way.... How you deal with it is up to you. Freedom, right?

18. Member
    When I was a kid, my dad found an osprey that had be electrocuted (found below a power line with burns on it's feet) and he actually did toss it in the bed of the truck to bring it home. No cell phones back then. He tried to get a possession permit to have it mounted but no go from the warden service.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Found one last year under a power line, it broke its neck neck on line according to DNR autopsy.

20. Member
    I counted 25 of em flying over my house the other day. Lots of em around. But here you cant even be caught with a feather. If i see a dead one, i stay away. No need to get accused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast