Marine Master Trailer spindle nut welded on

Need some help on this one. Previous owner failed to mention this when I bought the boat and trailer, among other things. Found this spindle nut to be welded on. What are my options here? It is a Marine Master Trailer hauls a 2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP. There is repairs that need to be done for sure. New brakes installed.....missing when purchased. Tongue is rusted up also, no brake lines. I'm thinking it all got ripped off when the previous owner lost a wheel. Is it better to try and replace everything or buy a new trailer? Springs are pretty worn also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Spindle replacement. New brake calipers, springs, equalizer (if tandem), axle hardware, hub rebuild and complete a60 coupler will be much cheaper than a new trailer.

Previous owner must be an a-hole.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    new axle with brakes would be my fix for that
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'd also ask how much of the current trailer is still in good shape??? Any rust spots else where?? Is it worth it to spend the time to rebuild the trailer and continue to have issues??
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

cheap way out------ use cut off wheel on a right angle grinder to cut the weld then chase the threads and replace with new nut

6. Member
    Odds are it was a damaged spindle and or threads and didn't trust the threads to keep the nut on.

7. Member
    Thanks for the info. My thoughts exactly about the previous owner. Shows me the caliber of person he is. My fault also for not checking everything out more thoroughly. It’s my first time buying. I don’t think many people would pull off spindle caps to check either.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNeeley View Post
    .................................................. ........ Found this spindle nut to be welded on. What are my options here? .................................................. .................... I'm thinking it all got ripped off when the previous owner lost a wheel. Is it better to try and replace everything or buy a new trailer? Springs are pretty worn also.
    If someone got ripped off it was you. What a dumb move welding the nut on. Hope it was a complete stranger, not a friend. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Spindle replacement. New brake calipers, springs, equalizer (if tandem), axle hardware, hub rebuild and complete a60 coupler will be much cheaper than a new trailer.

Previous owner must be an a-hole.
    LOL. I agree with you assessment..........both the trailer fix AND description of previous trailer owner. LOL
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

10. Member
    That's a total Bubba fix, please look at the other hubs to determine their road worthiness

I wouldn't even waste the time checking everything else out, just cut to the chase and get a new complete axle and brake system from front to back. You'll feel better going down the road knowing everything works as it should !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents