Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

An old guys take on the future of bass fishing.

I have been reading quite a bit lately about the controversy surrounding FFS. If viewed as a structured debate, both sides have valid arguments to make. So, when I plan for a debate (on any topic) I go back to the beginning and ask for the premise. In other words, are both sides really talking about and approaching the topic from the same starting place. I have some concerns about the premise.

My first concern is the fact that one side is arguing from the point of view of a professional angler, and the other side is arguing from the point t of view of a casual angler with an interest in the sport. In other words, one side is all in, and the other is observing from the outside. One side is trying to make a living and the other side is trying to learn to enhance what is essentially a hobby. The viewpoint has an impact on the view.

A second concern is funding. A pro is forced by circumstance to get the newest and best equipment in order to effectively compete. There are sponsors and manufacturers resources to help with that. People who fish for fun, by and large, do not have the resource pool to keep up with technology at the rate that it changes. For example, the guys I know who fish for fun have boats that average 10 years old. So is the technology that is attached to them. A new boat is a really big deal, and definitely not an annual event. For the average fisherman some new electronics usually comes after months of research and deal shopping.

Third, my concern is location. Pros sign up for a tour that can involve the whole country, and usually means travel to several states at a minimum. The travel expenses alone can be staggering. Recreational fisherman are much more local than that. A trip for us that is a State away is considered a vacation, not a job requirement. Local guys tend to study local conditions as a matter of tactical fact. Having to gather tons of information about a number of lakes and rivers is jot part of the plan or the planning process.

I guess my observation is that theres a tremendous amount of time and effort being spent comparing apples to oranges. The worst part that I see as a casual bass angler is that the pros that are shown at these events do not spend any time explaining why they are doing what they are doing. I don't know if they are just protecting a spot or a technique, or (worse yet) don't know exactly what they are doing and can't adequately or accurately explain it.

At the end of the confrontation I don't see anything going on that is going to change the way I enjoy fishing. The techy people are not showing me anything that looks like a new or better technique, or, for that matter, anything that is even remotely interesting. But, I'm not trying to make a living fishing. I'm trying to enjoy life by fishing when I can. I think that is all the difference in the world.

Tight lines.

Arpy

2. Member
    After watching some of the last few tournaments with FFS. I know I have been fishing to shallow in 55 degree water. But I like shallow and still catch some fish. And I hate spinning gear unless using light baits. So I am just gonna keep doing what I like. If I catch them good if I don’t they win today.

3. Member
    I am prejudiced at 65 but the arguments that I hear or ones that hit a nerve are obviously age related. Kids against boomers with the kids having the advantage. The advantage gives the ability to run some boomers into retirement at the pro level and to some degree even the club level. The changing of the gaurds. Thats what I hear anyways.

I am or was in 2 clubs and was also in a third. One club is all boomers. There is one guy using the FFS that runs the field if he wants to most days. The second club I was affiliated with for 30 years, The new guys are not kids but based solely on experience I should have an advantage. Thats been neutralized by them having FFS. The third club is a mix of the other 2 clubs and other guys. I have won or placed above 50 percent of the tournaments I entered in what is the most competitive club in that area. I havent fished that club in 6 years but anticipate that that rate will not be the same if I rejoin without FFS.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 03-02-2024 at 05:21 PM.

4. Member
    Old against the young nowadays, not only fishing but many other endeavors as well.

5. Member
    Having spilled my guts on the subject without giving my POV I will add what is the knawing factor about how this is all going down. The more I dwell on it the more in touch I am amd somewhat befuddled at the speed of the transition. Im just a regular guy who lingered at the club level. However I represent a lot of guys on the same catergory. We fought and scratched to play the game.

In Ct we have a shortened season. There was only one federation when I started in 1991. I wAS 33 and I didnt own a boat for another 14 years. I had no partner. I would bring a canoe to one of the fledgling open trails while fishing as a co in a BASS club. As club president in 1996 I was befriended by a guy who was 58 and had the same desire I did to compete. We paired up for close to 20 years. At one time we fished a saturday club, a sunday massachusettes clubm a tuesday club, multiple open small trails plus any local opens.

Once I got my first boat I added two 5 to 9 night tournaments on Wednesdays and Thursdays.( I was trying to figure recently how I managed to fish 40 tournaments a year.) We did all of this on the east side of the state and only occasionally went to the west side where Candlewood was. When I broke off on my own I fished a saturday club, the Sunday club with my GF, the tuesday club and opens from a local fishing website. 33 years and over 600 tournaments without using FFS. At my peak I took a check in 27 of 34 tournaments without a boat for the fisrt 20.

I fished against the top Ct anglers for most of that period that were in East of the river clubs. One event I came in second on the home lake of am Elite pro who was in the field. My second time on the lake. First time I won with lunker from the back the week prior. Not boasting on myslf just showing what the average Joe put out to play the game as it was originally designed. Now you have newbies who stand in front of a screen and play pluck the bass.

The overall sensation I am getting is that with the period of FFS now in full force all my efforts were wasted and voided by a screen. Its a new era. Try to understand the frustration being felt by guys who paid their dues before this era. This tool is so transforming its like we never existed.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 03-02-2024 at 06:37 PM.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    These young guys have probably had the opportunity to gain experience by fishing way more Tournaments than 20-30 years ago when you toss in HS, College and other quality Tournament Trails that have sprung up since then. It’s no surprise they are not intimidated while moving up the ladder.

The same thing has happened in Rodeo an aspiring young rough stock rider can attend a number of schools taught by highly successful Pros. They can climb on a lot of Broncs or Bulls before they ever go to their first rodeo. The timed event contestants can do the same but need a good horse or horses. Plus these young dudes are athletes who take care of themselves and stay in shape.

Football has the 7 on 7 Competitions starting at an early age so young QB’s have thrown more passes while receivers have ran more patterns and caught more passes before they ever get to HS.

No surprise the young Bass Pros are ready to compete at an impressive level.

7. Member
    It gotta start somewhere.
    Thank God that it did

8. Member
    At 62 I consider myself older, and can honestly say I don't think about it at all. Just don't care one way or the other. Here is the only place I hear about it. I see videos on YouTube but never click on them.
    Last edited by Classicxl; 03-02-2024 at 08:13 PM.

Hoot has a point take Trey McKinney he just turned 19 and is leading in a BASS elite tournament
    You see a young kid playing "pluck the bass" as you say but he has fished just as many tournaments as you but many were against some of the best kids out there
    He has won a boat and been national champion and did half of that before FFS became a big thing he has a good grasp on seasonal patterns and techniques
    He even stated on camera he’d rather be up shallow working the banks but he’s here to win not fish his favorite pattern

Besides FFS is not the end all to beat all you still have to do a lot of old school work to get to the point that it looks easy

I’ve been fishing tournaments sense the mid 80’s and this kid can kick my ass in a tournament now I could cry about it and give up or learn the new game I bought Livescope a little over two years ago and I can say it was the best move I could make

Now you can be that guy that owns a record store in the 90’s watching the internet and music downloads kill his business and complain or you can go back to school and learn a new trade I’m 63 and still learning how to fish a lake I’ve been fishing for 40 years
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Member
    Holy crap you guys can spray words.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

11. Member
    Thanks for your insight
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

12. Member
    How about just fishing the way you want to fish and enjoy?

13. Member
    Us bank beaters will be thanking FFS in a couple years.... They will be easier to catch!

14. Member
    I swear if it weren’t for ffs this forum would have nothing to talk about…. It’s getting old..

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post
    I swear if it weren’t for ffs this forum would have nothing to talk about…. It’s getting old..
    That's a stretch

I agree with what Arpy and Hoot are saying. But, like mattmann7 said, it's not just pros who are trying to make a living fishing that are dominating using FFS. Even small, local derbies are now being dominated by guys using FFS. Around here, if you don't have and know how to use FFS, you're fishing for 3rd-5th place even in the "20 boat every other Thursday retired guys trail" that I fish. One team, who was always a threat to win prior to FFS, now dominate nearly every event. In some events, their weight is double 2nd place and during the last two late fall events, I've seen them weigh 18 and 19 pounds on a lake that is usually won by 9-10 pounds. FFS may not effect anyone who just fishes for fun. But, it is affecting everyone who fishes competitively at any level.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Member
    If you think about fishing as competition you better have the best of the best if you can.
    I'm waiting to hear the bitching from the Kayak tournament circuit

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    Having spilled my guts on the subject without giving my POV I will add what is the knawing factor about how this is all going down. The more I dwell on it the more in touch I am amd somewhat befuddled at the speed of the transition. Im just a regular guy who lingered at the club level. However I represent a lot of guys on the same catergory. We fought and scratched to play the game.

In Ct we have a shortened season. There was only one federation when I started in 1991. I wAS 33 and I didnt own a boat for another 14 years. I had no partner. I would bring a canoe to one of the fledgling open trails while fishing as a co in a BASS club. As club president in 1996 I was befriended by a guy who was 58 and had the same desire I did to compete. We paired up for close to 20 years. At one time we fished a saturday club, a sunday massachusettes clubm a tuesday club, multiple open small trails plus any local opens.

Once I got my first boat I added two 5 to 9 night tournaments on Wednesdays and Thursdays.( I was trying to figure recently how I managed to fish 40 tournaments a year.) We did all of this on the east side of the state and only occasionally went to the west side where Candlewood was. When I broke off on my own I fished a saturday club, the Sunday club with my GF, the tuesday club and opens from a local fishing website. 33 years and over 600 tournaments without using FFS. At my peak I took a check in 27 of 34 tournaments without a boat for the fisrt 20.

I fished against the top Ct anglers for most of that period that were in East of the river clubs. One event I came in second on the home lake of am Elite pro who was in the field. My second time on the lake. First time I won with lunker from the back the week prior. Not boasting on myslf just showing what the average Joe put out to play the game as it was originally designed. Now you have newbies who stand in front of a screen and play pluck the bass.

The overall sensation I am getting is that with the period of FFS now in full force all my efforts were wasted and voided by a screen. Its a new era. Try to understand the frustration being felt by guys who paid their dues before this era. This tool is so transforming its like we never existed.
    ditto
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I agree with what Arpy and Hoot are saying. But, like mattmann7 said, it's not just pros who are trying to make a living fishing that are dominating using FFS. Even small, local derbies are now being dominated by guys using FFS. Around here, if you don't have and know how to use FFS, you're fishing for 3rd-5th place even in the "20 boat every other Thursday retired guys trail" that I fish. One team, who was always a threat to win prior to FFS, now dominate nearly every event. In some events, their weight is double 2nd place and during the last two late fall events, I've seen them weigh 18 and 19 pounds on a lake that is usually won by 9-10 pounds. FFS may not affect anyone who just fishes for fun. But, it is affecting everyone who fishes competitively at any level.
    Yea it’s dominating my local level the last year. More adopting the tech and the weights have risen. I always said that would never happened but I missed on that lol.

It’s whatever, I’ve started fishing more for fun when I don’t wanna scope. I’m not quitting tourneys altogether but I’m just not as excited these days to go stare at my screen. I’ve fished enough on my local lakes that I realize when it’s gonna be a scope fest. I’ve won with scope, got beat by scope. But I just get tired of the same tactic every tournament sometimes. Our tourneys from November to March are dang near the same pattern the last couple years to win. In the past I’ve won with crankbaits, jerkbaits, swimbaits, spinnerbaits and Chatterbait. Those deep suspenders on bait rarely care about anything but a ball head annd plastic. Anyone living where it doesn’t dominate, should be thankful for some variety lol.

Thats why I’m fishing for fun more often. Don’t “have” to do anything like I would if I wanted to compete. In my area, it’s a small window where it’s not a threat. And the rest of the time you are toast if you aren’t doing it. Not complaining about it, just the truth. I just don’t wanna “have” to do the same crap over and over just to get a check and some bragging rights that no one actually cares about lol. I guess I’m just getting to where if this is what tournament fishing is, maybe it’s just not for me anymore. Oh well. Me not participating isn’t gonna stop the world from spinning so no biggie

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classicxl View Post
    At 62 I consider myself older, and can honestly say I don't think about it at all. Just don't care one way or the other. Here is the only place I hear about it. I see videos on YouTube but never click on them.
    Amen
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast