Chipping / flaking on hull, best way to repair this?

I have two spots on my hull that are chipping / flaking as you can see above. Could I just use some MarineTex to repair these areas? How big of an issue is this, do I need to immediately repair this?

Thanks!
    2017 Nitro Z20 Pro
    2017 Mercury 225hp Pro XS

2. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Thanks, I did and hadn’t got a response, doesn’t seem like that forum gets much traffic

4. Member
    You should put something on it to stop the chipping or it will just continue to grow. Gel or marine tex would work.

5. Member
    That would concern me, because it looks like the gel coat is delaminating rather than being scraped off. In the top picture, either there are a lot of scratches or the gel is getting ready to delaminate [is compromised] over a wider area. Depending upon where you are in the country, there are fiberglass repair shops that you should get to inspect it. Could be that instead of just covering up a spot or two, you need a much wider area stripped and repaired, in order to avoid the risk of the same issue spreading.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    That would concern me, because it looks like the gel coat is delaminating rather than being scraped off. In the top picture, either there are a lot of scratches or the gel is getting ready to delaminate [is compromised] over a wider area. Depending upon where you are in the country, there are fiberglass repair shops that you should get to inspect it. Could be that instead of just covering up a spot or two, you need a much wider area stripped and repaired, in order to avoid the risk of the same issue spreading.
    top pic looks like a chip bottom looks like paint peeling off like you said strange occurrence or pics don't show it well
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

That is paint, not gellcoat
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was just paint as well. So I could just put Marine Tex on it?
    2017 Nitro Z20 Pro

9. Member
    Really? I don’t own one but I thought a Nitro z20 was a glass boat.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

It is all glass. The two spots that are flaking, the black material coming off is very thin, which is why I assumed it was paint. I thought gel coat was thicker but I could be totally wrong as I don't have much knowledge on the subject, which is why I'm asking about it here. There are no stress cracks, bubbles, or anything else around these areas so not real sure what is causing it.
    2017 Nitro Z20 Pro

Gellcoat will not flake off as it has a chemical bond to underlying layers. The gray you see is primer and that paint work was not done properly, need to be totaly striped and done right.
    Thank You Leon Pugh