Sideways sidescan?

I ran across this on a walleye forum. It was in response to someone asking about FFS-

"I'm not trying to tell you what brand to buy. this is FYI only! I watched a film on trolling using a Garmin with some kind of side scan transducer set up sideways on the transom that would show fish in front and back that would also show the fish moving and the depth of the lures to the fish. it was amazing to watch the screen. I set and almost cried. I had bought a used HDS9 GEN 3 with a 3D structure scan box and transducer for our GPS, and I had just bought a used HDS12 LIVE with the 3 in 1 transducer. if I hadn't just spent my life savings I might have went a different route".

Have you ever heard of this?
    I would wonder if it would work since the transducer is sideways, and not drawing a normal picture due to the boat moving forward.
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The older panoptix 30/31 could be (I believe) mounted on transom sideways....maybe it was that?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Impossible for a standard sidescan transducer to be turned sideways to use as live.

4. Member
    I can see how it would read, but I think it would all just be lines. I suppose fish would be blobs though.

anyway you can post the link to that forum page?

Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    I can see how it would read, but I think it would all just be lines. I suppose fish would be blobs though.

anyway you can post the link to that forum page?
    Here it is-
    Forward Facing Sonar - Walleye Message Central (walleyecentral.com)
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

6. Member

I thought there was a video in that link, I misunderstood.

7. Member
    Simply ask "last chance " to provide a video link.

If memory serves, it was overseas( Eastern European ) trollers turning PS30 Panoptix transducers on the transom.

Think about 5-7 years ago.

God luck

8. Member
    Side imaging is side imaging regardless of how it is mounted or which way the boat is turned. Fish that are in the water column at a depth less than the distance to the bottom have always been easy to see on screen. Those who are good at reading side imaging have learned how to adjust range, brightness and contrast to be able to detect fish at ranges farther away than the depth displayed on the background of the bottom. In its hayday it was a remarkable advancement. It's shortcoming has always been that it displayed fish purely on their distance from the transducer which is rarely the depth the fish is at. A fish near the surface 50 ft away would be displayed 1 ft from another fish just off the bottom 51 ft away. That's when the art of reading fish shadows come into play to make a guess as to how deep a fish might be.

I still use SideVu. Nothing is better to inventory an area for schools of baitfish. But as a replacement for FFM? Not a chance.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.