I guess I was the only one who didn't know

When I do my winterization, I change the oil and oil filter on my outboard.
    When I remove the oil filter I never look at the bottom of the filter to make sure the gasket came off.
    I think I am the only one on planet earth who didn't pay attention to this gasket.
    Last fall I put the new filter on even though it had a couple of dents new out of the box. Don't know why that was.
    So a week ago I got to thinking that was going to bother me all season, so I replaced it with another filter I had.
    I hand tighten, but then looked in and thought it looked odd.
    I did nothing, it must be fine, only thought I would check the filter when I started it up to see if any oil was slowly leaking.
    So the other day I got a flashlight and my readers, removed the engine cover, and started it up.
    I went straight around to look at the oil filter first thing.
    Oil was gushing out like a firehose.
    I ran back and stopped the motor.
    In seconds, most of the oil in the reservoir was transferred into my lower cowling and making it's way down through the mid section.
    I ran for a oil catch pan, then spent an hour sopping up oil from the lower cowling.
    When I removed the oil filter and saw the previous oil filter gasket hanging there.
    So now the last person on earth knows to look for the gasket when removing the old oil filter.

2. #FRB
    Things happen and at least you caught it before it cost you a powerhead. I always make sure there's raw metal staring back at me before installing the new filter on truck, outboard, or rider. Even if you forget to check the old filter you can still verify by checking the surface the gasket seats against.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

3. Member
    There are people who will claim that they have never done that. I am not one of them.

4. Member
    I've done many oil changes on all vehicles and never seen that, but Thank You Very much for posting. I'll definitely look closely from now on...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    happened all the time on Toyotas when I was a tech you learn QUICKLY to look for the old gasket.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Always LOOK at the filter mating surface on the block and lube the new gasket on the new filter. If you don't lube it the next time you take if off the old gasket will most likely be stick to the block/oil filter adapter.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

7. Member
    You do that once, you usually never do that again. Especially if it cost you a motor of any kind.

8. Member
    Going to show my age, hated the cannister style oil filters. After some azzhat over torqued the bolt, the thin O-ring was a PITA to remove.

9. Member
    A friend did this just the other day. He checked it with the muffs on, everything looked good. Gets to the lake, idles out through the wakeless, pretty good Oil Slick and a giant mess under the cowl. Shut it down in time and trolling motored it back to the trailer. No fishing but valuable lesson learned.

10. Member
    Good points, in automotive classes we taught the students to always check to make sure the gasket wasn't stuck to the block.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    Going to show my age, hated the cannister style oil filters. After some azzhat over torqued the bolt, the thin O-ring was a PITA to remove.
    The idiots went back to them on a lot of engines. PINR

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

12. Member
    We all have had senior moments, dumb arse attacks, moments of total loss of sense from time to time..................just glad it didn't cost you a powerhead and nothing more than a mess to clean up.

13. Member
    I know so many people who had this happen to them on automobiles that I check both the old filter and mating surface for a seal before installing the new filter. This goes for lawn equipment a cars; I still have a 2-stroke outboard, so I don't have an oil filter to change on the boat yet.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)

14. Member
    My grandpa taught me at a young age when doing tractor maintenance to check the filter seal.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    and they (car companies) brought them back to teach the frustrations to the younger crowd!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    I was changing the oil on my truck one time and the filter out of the box didn't have a gasket. Luckily I had another filter there but it would have sucked to drain my oil and not have a filter to put on.

17. Member
    I did that as a teenager changing the oil on my sister's brand new mustang. Luckily the light came or she noticed the oil pressure and pulled over. No damage but she made absolutely sure I never forgot again.

Destroyed a brand new zoom clutch and pressure plate (expensive version) because I forgot to pack grease in the throw out bearing. I'm pretty sure beer was involved. Knocked a baseball size hole in the bell housing when it exploded.

I was helping my son install an engine at 3:00 AM and made a huge mess when we tried to fire it up. Luckily it didn't start because there was no oil filter at all. No beer involved but sleep deprivation for sure.

Give me some time and I'll find many more examples to help you feel better.

18. Member
    I did it once on my car when I was a kid, luckily I caught it at start up and fixed it. I'm a fast learner and have a photographic memory just time I forget to put film in the camera.

I've done it on a 1986 S-10 pick up. My 2009 Yammie had a spin on but I didnt have it long enough to change the oil.