Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    FFS takes too much "craft" and "art" out of fishing. Using FFS is too much like gaming on a computer.

2. Member
    When HB perfects mega 360 live that will be the next game changer.
    Total comprehensive information at your fingertips or goggles. Break down the lake
    very quickly in a format that even the old guard will easily understand
    and be able to facilitate

I also have pondered this. How can we say that catching fish you can see isn’t easier than catching fish you cannot see?
    Bedding fish aside, I don’t know how we can consider that seeing fish in real time isn’t the biggest paradigm shift in fishing since its inception. I mean I’ve got it on the boat in the garage, but to say it’s not the most influential and formative change fishing has seen is a bit disingenuous imo. You can see bottom, depth, temp, and cover (like traditional sonar) as well as a fishes reaction but all in aimable cone in real time. It’s actually better than a camera which is currently illegal in most tournament series I’m aware of. We are basically one generation away from species identification which is the only thing separating it from a camera at the moment.

I think it’s similarities to seeing underwater like a camera, and the fact that you cannot free/dive scuba in tournament waters to “look” at things is a bit of a conundrum. FFS doesn’t need water clarity lol, all of those things do and they aren’t legal. Just thoughts I’ve had.
    And no I don’t want scuba diving made legal in tournaments lol just trying to parse the reasoning why some things are allowed and others are not haha
    Im using my unit tomorrow in a tournament, but if it’s gone one day I’m still going fishing lol

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    I misread. I took it as a person baked the cake from a box, not bought a store made cake. I guess I don't see how purchasing a pre made cake compares to FFS. If the store bought ready made cake wins, then the person who bakes it should get the credit. I don't think that you should have other people catch fish for you to win.
    Well at the basic level isn't that what ffs is doing allowing someone/something else to find the fish for you? Without it could these same anglers do as well? Could they find the fish as fast, know what lures and presentations to utilize without it? You know all these skills that the anglers normally have at their disposal that took time and effort to develop vs see a fish live on the screen and drop a bait in its face and see if it bites, if not go to the next one.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJens View Post
    When HB perfects mega 360 live that will be the next game changer.
    Total comprehensive information at your fingertips or goggles. Break down the lake
    very quickly in a format that even the old guard will easily understand
    and be able to facilitate
    Humminbird needs to figure out regular FFS, touchscreens and WIFI first
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    I also have pondered this. How can we say that catching fish you can see isn’t easier than catching fish you cannot see?
    Bedding fish aside, I don’t know how we can consider that seeing fish in real time isn’t the biggest paradigm shift in fishing since its inception. I mean I’ve got it on the boat in the garage, but to say it’s not the most influential and formative change fishing has seen is a bit disingenuous imo. You can see bottom, depth, temp, and cover (like traditional sonar) as well as a fishes reaction but all in aimable cone in real time. It’s actually better than a camera which is currently illegal in most tournament series I’m aware of. We are basically one generation away from species identification which is the only thing separating it from a camera at the moment.

I think it’s similarities to seeing underwater like a camera, and the fact that you cannot free/dive scuba in tournament waters to “look” at things is a bit of a conundrum. FFS doesn’t need water clarity lol, all of those things do and they aren’t legal. Just thoughts I’ve had.
    And no I don’t want scuba diving made legal in tournaments lol just trying to parse the reasoning why some things are allowed and others are not haha
    Im using my unit tomorrow in a tournament, but if it’s gone one day I’m still going fishing lol
    I definitely agree that FFS is a new variable in the game and it's a big one. In my opinion, what I want to see from the pro's is who can catch the biggest bag at every tournament using whatever tools necessary. I don't care if it isn't traditional, I don't care if it is a 19 year old kid. I wish all professional sports were like this. That's my personality though. I am an extreme person that enjoys tech and what it can do for people.

7. Member
    Comes down to do we want a sport dominated by contestants who know how to fish or know how to use electronics.

It would be easy to find out - go old school and put all the contestants in like boats with old school trolling motors and depth finders. I would bet these new young guns would be hurting. Fishing tournaments, in my opinion, should be about who knows how to fish best, not about who can operate their electronics the best. Yes, I have a livescope

who is a better survivalist - one who can live in the wilderness for a month with a flint, steel, and knife, or one who can live in the wilderness with a water purifier, rifle/ammo, bic lighter, and knife. Technology makes a huge difference. Technology lessons the ability required to find fish or exist in the wilderness. These tournaments should be about the best pure fisherman - not the best user of a computer.

8. Member
    Well said Jeff, I think it’s a fork in the road so to speak in what we want competitive fishing to be. Is it, always seeing and always casting to our targets with pinpoint precision to increase our odds, or is it finding where they live and learning through experience that dictates the direction of our cast. Oddly enough I look back on tournaments I’ve won fishing standing timber long before FFS and I wonder how it was even possible. Well it was, it was just a lot harder to learn why and when. Now the FFS stands in for my experience and I just go “look”. They are either there or not. I can see why some think it is taking away from the “sport” of fishing.
    All my life I’ve heard, “catching them is the easy part”. It was a true statement. I could take a scrub fisherman with me and they would catch fish. But if they fished out of their boat, they would struggle and never have a limit. There was a reason for it and it wasn’t bad luck.

They struggled with all the variables that go into decision making. They didn’t have the confidence to know when to stay or the gut-feeling that said it’s time to go. That isn’t a factor anymore. Now, those people can make those decisions 10x faster than the person with years of experience. But they still have to make them bite….

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Sorry guys. A complex topic can't always be boiled down into a short USA Today type sidebar piece.
    Well, I for one can READ your post a lot quicker than I could watch it in a video- so you're all good as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate your analysis, as someone who practically minored in rural sociology and worked with livestock producers in the field, much the same way you apparently did with fishermen. P.S.- I never understood why adult men would willingly brag about how bad and slow of a reader they are.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Well at the basic level isn't that what ffs is doing allowing someone/something else to find the fish for you? Without it could these same anglers do as well? Could they find the fish as fast, know what lures and presentations to utilize without it? You know all these skills that the anglers normally have at their disposal that took time and effort to develop vs see a fish live on the screen and drop a bait in its face and see if it bites, if not go to the next one.
    I can definitely understand where you come from and respect your standpoint. As long as you also felt the same way when side imaging came out. That also changed the game with how fast a person could break down a lake, find spots that are productive. And then it also goes back to the initial invention of sonar for me as well. Knowing bottom composition, finding structure and cover, it was a huge shift. Goes all the way back to a trolling motor. The trolling motor was probably the biggest change in the game of fishing. If you have always been against tech, then I get it. I think the outboard, trolling motor, sonar, side imaging, and now FFS are the "big shifts" in fishing. I am good with all of them.

11. #FRB
    Didn't read the whole thread or most of the OP. Probably been mentioned at least twice here but what about a division where guys can only have a single graph up front and one in the back and no FFS which was common when probably most of the guys getting their teeth kicked in were hot to trot like the young guys are now with all their fancy tech knowledge? I remember when you were ballin' if you had a 5" color graph, lol.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbach View Post
    Comes down to do we want a sport dominated by contestants who know how to fish or know how to use electronics.

It would be easy to find out - go old school and put all the contestants in like boats with old school trolling motors and depth finders. I would bet these new young guns would be hurting. Fishing tournaments, in my opinion, should be about who knows how to fish best, not about who can operate their electronics the best. Yes, I have a livescope

who is a better survivalist - one who can live in the wilderness for a month with a flint, steel, and knife, or one who can live in the wilderness with a water purifier, rifle/ammo, bic lighter, and knife. Technology makes a huge difference. Technology lessons the ability required to find fish or exist in the wilderness. These tournaments should be about the best pure fisherman - not the best user of a computer.
    My standpoint is that the best fisherman is the one who can use all the tools at their disposal to trick the biggest fish into biting. I don't agree with drawing an arbitrary line in what is acceptable tech and what isn't. Is it because that tech you chose as being acceptable is what you grew up using while the old guys made fun of you for all your fancy stuff?

The best survivalist is the one that survives best given what they have at hand. If a guy with a rifle survives and the guy with a knife dies, then I would say the guy with the rifle is the best survivalist.

13. Member
    My standpoint is that the best fisherman is the one who can use all the tools at their disposal to trick the biggest fish into biting. I don't agree with drawing an arbitrary line in what is acceptable tech and what isn't. Is it because that tech you chose as being acceptable is what you grew up using while the old guys made fun of you for all your fancy stuff?

The best survivalist is the one that survives best given what they have at hand. If a guy with a rifle survives and the guy with a knife dies, then I would say the guy with the rifle is the best survivalist.
    So you would be fine with them running a shocking boat around the lake and picking out the biggest bass to weigh in? Being that could very well be one such "tool at their disposal"? Your statement is absurd, so I thought I would illustrate it as absurd by taking it to the limit.... Or do you actually have absolutely no limits?

Another thought popped into my head. If you're an old timer, you may remember that it was Ray Scott who outlawed the use of nets in B.A.S.S. tournaments. His reasoning was that it was more "manly" to fight a fish hand to hand than use a net. In other words, banning nets helped even the playing field between the bass and the angler. To me, it's kind of ironic that B.A.S.S. still bans the use of nets, but allows FFS. FFS definitely greatly tips the scales in the favor of the angler, many times more so than the use of a landing net ever did.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

There are many arbitrary lines. Such as the camera rule. There is a “line” for everything. Otherwise we would use electroshocking prods. It’s technology to capture fish, arguably the best there is. Yet we have made a stand against because we thought it wasn’t sporting.The arguments of “still gotta find em” would ring true even with that extreme example. The lines are drawn by a consensus among sportsmen. Most rules are trying to protect a purpose or main goal within the sport. It’s integrity so to speak. I have no problem with rules as long as there is solid logic and reasoning behind them.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    So you would be fine with them running a shocking boat around the lake and picking out the biggest bass to weigh in? Being that could very well be one such "tool at their disposal"? Your statement is absurd, so I thought I would illustrate it as absurd by taking it to the limit.... Or do you actually have absolutely no limits?
    I don’t think that shocking the fish constitutes tricking them into biting so that automatically does not fall into my definition of what I think the best fisherman is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Another thought popped into my head. If you're an old timer, you may remember that it was Ray Scott who outlawed the use of nets in B.A.S.S. tournaments. His reasoning was that it was more "manly" to fight a fish hand to hand than use a net. In other words, banning nets helped even the playing field between the bass and the angler. To me, it's kind of ironic that B.A.S.S. still bans the use of nets, but allows FFS. FFS definitely greatly tips the scales in the favor of the angler, many times more so than the use of a landing net ever did.
    Something I hadn’t thought of but rather ironic lol.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassDom View Post
    Reading is Fundamental.
    Seems a lot never made it past the comics though.

19. Member
    There are many arbitrary lines. Such as the camera rule. There is a “line” for everything. Otherwise we would use electroshocking prods. It’s technology to capture fish, arguably the best there is. Yet we have made a stand against because we thought it wasn’t sporting.The arguments of “still gotta find em” would ring true even with that extreme examples. The lines are drawn by a consensus among sportsmen. Most rules are trying to protect a purpose or main goal within the sport. It’s integrity so to speak. I have no problem with rules as long as there is solid logic and reasoning behind them.
    I don’t agree with the camera law either. I think it was a knee jerk reaction rule that stuck. I don’t see it as being a major aid when fishing for bass. I think it is less useful than standard 2D sonar. I think to call it fishing you have to get a fish to bite so the shocking fish falls off the list.

I don’t agree with the camera law either. I think it was a knee jerk reaction rule that stuck. I don’t see it as being a major aid when fishing for bass. I think it is less useful than standard 2D sonar. I think to call it fishing you have to get a fish to bite so the shocking fish falls off the list.
    Indeed. I agree, that is something we as sportsman have come to accept as sporting. However in the game of “who can bring the biggest and best fish to the weigh in” without this sportsman’s agreement and the rules that were brought about because of it, we would be doing that instead of casting a line.

In clear water a camera is an excellent device to use in helping catch fish. Ask anyone who has ice fished any amount of time. FFS is much better than that, I agree.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast