Storing jigheads....

What system do you use to store all the different jighead styles and weights? I've tried leaving them open and unpacked, but all it takes is one wet jighead to make it in to the box and before you know it, the rest start rusting at the hooks.

I like keeping them in packages, but they're tougher to organize that way. My open plano 3700 has a bunch of packaged jigheads, but they're tough to find the right jighead style and weight quickly. Should I switch to smaller plastic bags?

2. Member
    Do you mean just plain jig heads without skirts? Like Ned, football, ballhead, swimbait etc? I just keep all of those in a Plano Edge 3700 that has the little rust preventative divider.

3. Member
    This goes with me in a friend’s boat or is in mine when I fish. I’ve never had any problems, but I don’t put used jig heads back in it either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Scraps
    I use the 3700 box as above, but beginning to consider the boxes with the foam inserts for jigheads. Also have a deep 3700 box that has a bunch of hooks in the packs. It's not exactly organized but helps me id exactly what weight and size. I carry way too many different brands hooks and heads.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

For jigheads, I started experimenting with small (like 2x3”), heavy duty (4 mil), plastic zip bags I found on eBay when I had to pack stuff differently than usual for my trip to Baccarac due to limited space. It worked really well there. I think I will continue that this season to see how it goes.

The impetus for me was that bags make it easy to keep them separate in whatever way makes sense so I wasn’t confined to the whims of the dividers in our classic tackle trays. I just laid them in a standard 3700 box with most of the dividers removed. I did use dividers to separate different types of jigheads (e.g., swimbait heads in one area, scroungers in another, underspins in another, etc.) which was helpful. In this way I could pretty easily fit 3 or 4 sizes into a space that would normally be limited to 2.

Probably better still: The bags make it easy to label with a Sharpie, keep them dry, and prevent them bouncing around which saves paint and hook points. No more wedging in corners or hooks sliding underneath dividers either! You just need to be really sure to get them dry if you’re planning to store them again after use which I don’t feel is really different than loose in a box, plus it would confine wet storage to ruining one bag instead of the whole box.

I also stored spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and skirted jigs in 4x4” versions of the same bags. Not an original idea by any means, but I definitely see a lot of potential in it. My go-to up to this point has been the Plano Edge jig box for chatterbaits and jigs, and a different spinnerbait box. The Edge box works well…except when it doesn’t. They kind of rely on bands on the skirts providing friction on the pegs to stay in place, so most anything wire- or thread-tied tends to fall out easily. The skirts also get all jumbled and want to hang out of the box when you fill it up.

I still need to find a good “file” system for the bags for the skirted stuff. That might be a good project for the 3D printer I picked up a few months back!

6. Member
    Awesome! I was using the big empty no divider 3700's and was having trouble finding the correct jig head size / weight in a hurry. Your bag idea seems like a way to find stuff quickly, yet still keep those jigheads in pristine condition (saving the hook points and preventing rust). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    For jigheads, I started experimenting with small (like 2x3”), heavy duty (4 mil), plastic zip bags I found on eBay when I had to pack stuff differently than usual for my trip to Baccarac due to limited space. It worked really well there. I think I will continue that this season to see how it goes.

The impetus for me was that bags make it easy to keep them separate in whatever way makes sense so I wasn’t confined to the whims of the dividers in our classic tackle trays. I just laid them in a standard 3700 box with most of the dividers removed. I did use dividers to separate different types of jigheads (e.g., swimbait heads in one area, scroungers in another, underspins in another, etc.) which was helpful. In this way I could pretty easily fit 3 or 4 sizes into a space that would normally be limited to 2.

Probably better still: The bags make it easy to label with a Sharpie, keep them dry, and prevent them bouncing around which saves paint and hook points. No more wedging in corners or hooks sliding underneath dividers either! You just need to be really sure to get them dry if you’re planning to store them again after use which I don’t feel is really different than loose in a box, plus it would confine wet storage to ruining one bag instead of the whole box.

I also stored spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and skirted jigs in 4x4” versions of the same bags. Not an original idea by any means, but I definitely see a lot of potential in it. My go-to up to this point has been the Plano Edge jig box for chatterbaits and jigs, and a different spinnerbait box. The Edge box works well…except when it doesn’t. They kind of rely on bands on the skirts providing friction on the pegs to stay in place, so most anything wire- or thread-tied tends to fall out easily. The skirts also get all jumbled and want to hang out of the box when you fill it up.

I still need to find a good “file” system for the bags for the skirted stuff. That might be a good project for the 3D printer I picked up a few months back!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I use the 3700 box as above, but beginning to consider the boxes with the foam inserts for jigheads. Also have a deep 3700 box that has a bunch of hooks in the packs. It's not exactly organized but helps me id exactly what weight and size. I carry way too many different brands hooks and heads.
    A deeper box might be the best for all those packages

8. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    This goes with me in a friend’s boat or is in mine when I fish. I’ve never had any problems, but I don’t put used jig heads back in it either.

9. Member
    Usually use flat boxes with partitions. The plastic foam that protect products I get in boxes or large envelopes in the mail, I cut to the slot shape/size. Using a blade, I cut slits for jig hooks to be embedded. Jigs come out easy and are never mixed up or loose prevented by the closed box lid.
    I also store jig heads by weight and hook size in the same foam which are put into ziplock bags that are hung up on wall hooks.

(The wire L's are grub grips that do not allow the lure to slide down the hook no matter how many fish are caught. The lures can taken off the hook and used again and again without the damage the barbed collar does.)
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 03-04-2024 at 01:45 PM.

10. Member
    I put mine loose in a 3700 box with dividers. Then you can label the divider with the weight of each jig, or you can put a label on the underside of the cover, over the correct jig size with the correct label.
    Practice, practice and more practice, and if you think you're good practice some more (Cadman circa2006)