Jackplate installation raises WOT RPM

This can't just be at random, but on both boats I've owned (both tin) I've noticed that the moment I install a jackplate, even before I started raising height I gained top end RPM at full wide open throttle by about 150 extra. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I've searched on the topic before but have never found any definitive response on the topic outside of people raising theirs to get RPM gains.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

2. #FRB
    Has your top speed increased also? Would suck if you suddenly developed prop slip. Also, I wouldn't play with jack plate hight much if any while running down the lake. I've heard that playing with height like that can cause a prop to not stay hooked up good. At least that's what Rick Pierce of BCB says. Nice looking rig too. When I first saw it last year when looking for my next boat the shape of the front deck on that short boat caught me off guard, lol. Crazy how beam forward that thing is. Sadly, the rod box quickly took it off my list with the organizer that didn't look like it could be removed and wanted Seadek. I have a sickness and have 16 setups in the box of my H18. 12-13 was all my old 175txw could hold.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Has your top speed increased also? Would suck if you suddenly developed prop slip. Also, I wouldn't play with jack plate hight much if any while running down the lake. I've heard that playing with height like that can cause a prop to not stay hooked up good. At least that's what Rick Pierce of BCB says. Nice looking rig too. When I first saw it last year when looking for my next boat the shape of the front deck on that short boat caught me off guard, lol. Crazy how beam forward that thing is. Sadly, the rod box quickly took it off my list with the organizer that didn't look like it could be removed and wanted Seadek. I have a sickness and have 16 setups in the box of my H18. 12-13 was all my old 175txw could hold.
    Yeah overall top speed capability has gone up in both instances but I've usually had to raise up height in order to find the right top speed. I don't know, it's just weird how I've always heard people say that wide open RPM should not change if the only change is the jackplate and you aren't raising it, but in both instances I found that without even having to raise the engine my RPM was increased by between 100-150, usually 150.

My sweet spot that likes to run at speed is in between 2.25-2.5 inches. My rig seems to like it when I raise the plate and water pressure is well within spec for this motor for sure. The prop doesn't seem to care that it's up high either because it just handles turns without blowout at all at any point.

I agree, the shape of this thing is very different than your average sub 18 footer. Especially the width of the deck. It's definitely a spoiling sort of thing, but makes the rig super stable in the water while just floating along. Definitely one of the more unique features of this thing which drew me to it in the first place. The engine size capability of it and the fact I knew I could make it fit in my garage with some quick work using some simple sockets and a rachet was the icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 03-01-2024 at 07:39 PM.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

4. Member
    Typical setback on a JP is 6", putting your prop in cleaner (less disturbed) water. I experienced the same thing. I had a 6" manual on a Lowe Stinger 18HP. Only gave 2mph.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Typical setback on a JP is 6", putting your prop in cleaner (less disturbed) water. I experienced the same thing. I had a 6" manual on a Lowe Stinger 18HP. Only gave 2mph.
    The cleaner water thing makes sense as to why it would raise RPM all other things being equal before any sort of adjustment. My stinger seems to love the jackplate and performs like a champ in every category using a 3 blade Tempest with it.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

6. Member
    Don't know if your hull is pad or semi-vee, but going to a 19" Spitfire X7 brought my hull to life.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

7. Member
    A JP raises the engine naturally even when using the same engine mounting holes.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    It would seem that cleaner (less disturbed) water would allow the prop to have a better "bite" and produce lower RPM if there were no other dynamics involved. I tend to think the leverage provided by the additional setback lifted the hull out of the water with the same or possibly less trim. This should reduce drag while increasing speed and RPM. Running the prop in cleaner water allows for potential performance gain by optimizing engine height.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Don't know if your hull is pad or semi-vee, but going to a 19" Spitfire X7 brought my hull to life.
    Mine is a legit pad on the bottom.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

10. Member
    More setback moves your pivot point back and gives you more bow lift which translates to more speed and RPM.