Thread: Bfs fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bfs fishing

Got an aldebaran bfs stringed up with 4 lb mono few weeks ago. Largemouth were on floating worm 2-3 weeks ago. Then switched to ned rig for smallies this week. I must say it’s pretty dang fun. Caught some nice ones. Highly recc to y’all interested but never tried

2. Member
    I decided to give BFS a try and have enjoyed it so much that I now have several BFS setups. It has replaced most of my spinning gear for finesse fun fishing.

3. Member
    It really is a lot of fun. I throw tiny football jigs and tiny swimbaits for smallmouth on a BFS rig.

4. Member
    What chu talkin bout Willis?

5. Member
    No way I fishing for bass with 4 lb test. Dang.

I so want to go yo my little home lake and use mine to catch shellcrackers
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

7. Member
    So what's everyone's BFS setup

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    Got an aldebaran bfs stringed up with 4 lb mono few weeks ago. Largemouth were on floating worm 2-3 weeks ago. Then switched to ned rig for smallies this week. I must say it’s pretty dang fun. Caught some nice ones. Highly recc to y’all interested but never tried

9. Member
    IMG_2146.jpg
    I have been BFS fishing for almost four decades. It all started for me with some of the small Bantam's of the 1980's. Here is a 7.1 pound fish from a few weeks ago on a prototype neko craw that I am working on. It catches em'! I'm at the point that I only finesse fish with spinning when I am fishing deeper than 15 feet. Baitcasting is much more fun and accurate when you are throwing at targets.

10. Member
    What is the advantage of BFS over spinning gear? Being from the north, I love my spinning gear and would have a hard time giving it up. To me the reel sitting below the rod is a much more natural feel.

11. Member
    I recently started as well. It is an absolute blast. You need to try the Megabass Karashi. It is a 3/16 oz lure that looks like a Rapala minnow without a lip. It flat out catches them. Tactical Bassin on YouTube has some great videos on their favorite baits. When it is too windy to get the boat out I head to some local subdivision ponds and use BFS. It really brings the joy to fishing.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    What is the advantage of BFS over spinning gear? Being from the north, I love my spinning gear and would have a hard time giving it up. To me the reel sitting below the rod is a much more natural feel.
    BFS advantages; accuracy and stealth. It evolved in Japan from the need for short distance pitching/casting to targets/cover from the bank for extremely pressured fish. It was not meant to compete with or replace spinning gear, different job different tool.

I'm using a Daiwa SS Air with #1 PE YGK X-Braid Upgrade X8 on a Kistler Helium 7' ML.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    No way I fishing for bass with 4 lb test. Dang.

I won a small December tournament in 35 degree water. I was fishing 3 inch black Berkley grubs on an 1/8 ounce ballhead jig casting to a damaged concrete ice house foundation using 4 pound test. Never set the hook. I applied pressure to the fish and the jig came unbuttoned as soon as the fish hit the net.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    Appreciate the heads up. I prefer finesse techniques. 8 pound test is heavy line for 75 percent of what I specialize in. The jigs I make are lighter than lead so I need to check this style of reel out. Some of the materials I tie with will float a jig head thats poured in a 3/16 mold. It will stay dormant till its saturated. My best day ever flipping was using a 1/4 ounce bitsy bug on a small Daiwa baitcast reel with 8 pound test. I would love to be able to present my jigs using a BFS type reel. Could be the missing link to my jigs.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    IMO there is no advantage for BFS over spinning. You can pitch light lures just as accurate and stealthy with spinning gear as you can with baitcast. All it takes is practice. I do it often fishing small streams for brook trout. The only advantage would be if you prefer casting equipment over spinning.

Its not a replacement for spinning, rather a fun addition to finesse fishing.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    IMO there is no advantage for BFS over spinning. You can pitch light lures just as accurate and stealthy with spinning gear as you can with baitcast. All it takes is practice. I do it often fishing small streams for brook trout. The only advantage would be if you prefer casting equipment over spinning.

Agree with this, good reply and description.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post

Another advantage of bfs for myself, maybe not for others, is being able to backhand (and forehand) cast single-handedly, helps in tight quarters and odd angles. Saying bfs it has no advantage over spinning is overlooking it's purpose, it has definite advantages for the purpose it was designed for; tight quarter bank fishing.

18. Member
    Picked up a KastKing BFS on Amazon. It arrived today and I set it up with 10 pound floro. I tied one of my light jigs and went in the yard to give it a try. It took about a half hour messing with the drag and tension dial. I had to work through a lot of backlashes. I got where I could flip the jig about 20 feet. After settling with that as a best effort I stretched the line out to get all the loose wraps from the spool. I let out about 30 yards in the yard and then started to reel it in. I get about half way in when I see a robin hopping towards me. It was chasing my jig. I dont know if thats a good sign or a bad sign for how a fish will react to the jig. The robins have me trained. Every time they see me raking or digging in the yard they show up waiting for easy pickings. When I get an area worked and spot them I give them some time to forage and then continue.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann7 View Post
    Picked up a KastKing BFS on Amazon. It arrived today and I set it up with 10 pound floro. I tied one of my light jigs and went in the yard to give it a try. It took about a half hour messing with the drag and tension dial. I had to work through a lot of backlashes. I got where I could flip the jig about 20 feet. After settling with that as a best effort I stretched the line out to get all the loose wraps from the spool. I let out about 30 yards in the yard and then started to reel it in. I get about half way in when I see a robin hopping towards me. It was chasing my jig. I dont know if thats a good sign or a bad sign for how a fish will react to the jig. The robins have me trained. Every time they see me raking or digging in the yard they show up waiting for easy pickings. When I get an area worked and spot them I give them some time to forage and then continue.
    If it's a Zephyr - they like to get line stuck between the case and the spool, not very fun. I have one but now i use it for a jerkbait reel as it's a little better suited for slightly more weight...and it -slings- a jerkbait. I ended up going to a Curado BFS.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

20. Member
    I’m using a 6’8” med Dixie custom carbon elite jerkbait rod - the 2 local stores don’t carry bfs rods. Strung up Dawia px type R with 6 lb but using same rod above med - hvy. Any rod reccs ? The med working fine med-hvy little much .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast