Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Humminbird CS is testing my loyalty

EDIT:
    I happy to report Greg @ HB called me today and said they were shipping out the SD card slot cover. They must have read this post. I'm now a happy customer.

While I'm ranting on HB today.... I have used Humminbird since 2008 beginning with the 797 SI. I have a 12" Solix G3 and had the cover open changing map cards and accidently snagged the cover pulling it off and into the water. Simple fix, right? Get HB to send me a replacement card cover door and replace it. They send me the email below. I call back explaining, that no the unit does not have to come apart, you just simply stick the end of the tether shaped like a T into the slot. It's literally a 5 second fix. I am not mailing in my unit and paying $819.45 for the cover door. I tried calling back a couple of more times hoping to talk someone else into sending me the cover but no dice.

If anyone happens to have that SD card cover on a broken 12 or 15 Solix I could use one. It's really easy to remove, maybe too easy.

Thanks.

Dear Lynn,

I did find the part number but the door cover is unable to be installed without taking off the front housing of the unit and therefore is not a sellable part. The unit would need to come in for repair and that standard fee is $819.45.

If you want me to call you back I can after I get off my current call.

If we can assist you further on this subject or any other Humminbird related questions please feel free to email us again.

Good Boating and Fishing!

Greg
    Technical Support Representative
    Last edited by mossie3; 03-06-2024 at 08:38 PM.

2. Member
    Sounds like a catch 22! The are probably hesitant because if the water tight requirement. If that cover comes off they might be held liable for any water damage. Those covers look the same as all the full size covers. If you can confirm that you might have better luck with Gen 1 units that have crapped out or have broken glass that was not worth repairing any more. Good luck!
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

They're close to losing a 16 year customer who has bought over $20,000 of product over a $5 part.

4. Member
    I have not added it up but I started in the 70’s with flashers,Chart printers and various other stuff. Paused with Lowrance in the early 2000’s and found problems and came back with the SI’s by HB. Still here. I found them to be ahead of the curve with tech and as honest as any company I have known within any industry. We all have different expectations. JMO Bob

Yep I also moved from Lowrance in the early 2000s also when I had water getting in my units, to HB when they were the only SI game in town.

I really can't understand why they refuse to mail me a cover door. They could literally stick in in a letter size envelope and mail it 64 cents.

6. Member
    Hey Mossie, I think bobcoy hit it on the head. Now adays it all falls down to who is responsible and who will take ownership. I bet if you talk to them again and let them know you will take full responsibility if water gets into the card slot, put it in writing or something like that, they might just send you one. Same goes when they cancel the school buses where I live as the weatherman was calling for bad weather and nothing happened. Better safe than sorry when it comes to insurance I guess. Just my 2 cents

They have drawn that line years ago.
    They don't sell parts to anyone.........

8. Member
    Sorry about your experience. I had an opposite experience after over tightening the Mega Live mount that connects the tranducer to the Ultrex shaft. I broke the back plate. I called up HB and they sent my a new back plate free of charge. I think I also talked to a guy named Greg but it’s been a while so I could be mistaken.

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Yeah, they have never shipped replacement SD card covers... at least not in the last 10 years or so. They also won't ship replacement screw-on covers for the cable connections on the back of Solix and Apex units either.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

There is an owner replaceable card reader door, but it is not tethered.

Card Reader Door for HELIX 5 & 7 - Humminbird (johnsonoutdoors.com)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    There is an owner replaceable card reader door, but it is not tethered.

Card Reader Door for HELIX 5 & 7 - Humminbird (johnsonoutdoors.com)
    They should toss a couple of extra in with every 5 & 7. Mine blew off my H-7 one time. Fortunately, it got sucked down into the floor well and behind the Hotfoot. I keep it on with Scotch 33 now. Poor design IMHO.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Yeah, I asked for a cable connector cover once myself. No go. The tether on those tend to break off over time, and can be lost overboard. They are a very inexpensive part you would think they could send out to keep their customers happy. I've had excellent CS from HB in the past, but this is a very simple request IMO, that they refuse to help on. I'm wanting a new console unit, but already have the latest HB puck transducer epoxied in the hull, and I'd hate to revisit epoxying in another brand's transducer.

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Yeah, they have never shipped replacement SD card covers... at least not in the last 10 years or so. They also won't ship replacement screw-on covers for the cable connections on the back of Solix and Apex units either.

13. Member
    https://www.mcmaster.com/products/ca...round-plugs-7/ Something like these will work for Solix/Apex. Yes I have had a couple of the HB ones break off and went through the process. I don’t understand why they don't sell them either.

Its seems silly but this is the norm in the industry. At least HB fully repairs their units - Garmin won't a replace a screen if you break it etc.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Right to Repair Legislation was finally passed to force Apple into making parts available for iphone repair last year, for those who wished to repair their phone, instead of only having to buy a new one. Too bad it doesn't apply to such a small segment like fishing electronics. It really should because they are pulling the same crap that apple did.

I happy to report Greg @ HB called me today and said they were shipping out the SD card slot cover. They must have read this post. I'm now a happy customer.

17. Member
    I don't know why they gave you such a Hassel , On my helix 10 mine came off I called and they sent a new one , easy fix , no problems since not long ago

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Interesting, I noticed that I had Greg Walters as my contact on my phone at HB. I remember he helped me a lot with an interference problem I had. He even sent me a massive sized choke with cured the problem.

I'm glad he took care of you on that. It seems to me that something like that would be more of a customer service thing than a parts department thing.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

19. Member
    When the 1197 first came out, I got one. Had all kind of interference issues which HUMMINBIRD was trying to help me with. Not much improvement. Greg calls and said he was going to be in my area and if he could drop by and give some help. I jumped on that offer. Greg shows up makes some wiring changes and we go to a local lake. All worked just fine and he gives some education on how to use the side-scan while we were out on the lake. Never have forgotten that level of assistance. Thank you Greg.

20. Member
    Nice edit to your original post at the top. Thanks for updating us and glad to hear that HB took care of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast