Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

919 pro xp performance

I just broke in a new 919 pro xp with a 225 Merc pro xs. It has a 24 Fury prop, and is set on a Z-Lock manual jack plate from phoenix. I opened it up last Saturday for the first time. Two guys combining for 430 lbs, very limited tackle, 3/4 of a tank of gas and both livewells full. The boat topped out at 70.5 mph and 5800 rpms. I trimmed it out all the way, then tried ticking down a few ticks on the trim to gain speed. The top speed was trimmed all the way up. I came out of running 920's. A couple of those ran a little better 3-4 ticks back down. I was under the impression the 919 would run with the 920 on speed. Any thoughts on how to get a little more lift/speed out of the boat? The engine seems about the right height, as the rooster tail was nearly even to the top of the engine. I was surprised I did not have to drive the boat at all to keep any walk out of it. That made it seem like the boat was not lifting like it possibly could to run hotter. I would like to get the rpms up around 5950 somehow, with top prop performance. I would be interested in knowing if maybe Mark Croxton could work the prop over to make it pick up 3-5 mph and gain some lift, if anyone has tried having him work a prop for that boat setup? Thanks for any input.

2. Member
    I have the same set up except for a atlas hyd jackplate and 8' blades. Been struggling to get it dialed in. It starts porpoising with me once I get it up over 60. Not sure on the best setting for the jackplate. Ive had 2 other 19' Phoenix boats with 200s and manual jackplates and never had that issue.

3. Member
    I have same setup except with a bob's plate on it. I can top out at 73mph but max rpm's i get is around 5800. My buddy has same setup with atlas and just swapped the hot foot to the seastar one and is turning 6000 rpm and his tops out at 75. My understanding is the stock hot foot does not allow the motor to reach the max rpm's.
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    Merc 225 Pro XS

4. Member
    Did he have to change the cable or just the peddle? I have been fighting the some rig for 2 year and 6 props later. Best to date is 71.6 mph at 5800rpm.

5. Member
    Not sure if this helps, but here is my experience.

I have 21 when I bought it setup as follows, 24P Fury, 3.25 P2P, manual JP, 1 helix 9 on bow, ultrex 80, 2 G31 AGMS. Best I saw was 74 @ 5800 RPM's. I felt like it had more but backed out due to chine. Hole shot was good

I added Mega 360/Helix 12 on bow, dual mount with 9. Replaced G1 AGM with lithiums. prop was dinged. Best I could get was 68 @ 5600 RPMS. Reworked prop, 3.5 P2P, dealer verified hot foot set correctly. Hole shot is very good.

I am now running 72 @5800 RPMs, but that's all she's got. .Overall I lost 2 mph on top, but I still only max out 5800 RPMS.

Dealer says that is the best I will probably get, I just wish/feel like it should turn more. I do think load and distribution has an effect. I have never run it with no tackle/equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    Not sure if this helps, but here is my experience.

I have 21 when I bought it setup as follows, 24P Fury, 3.25 P2P, manual JP, 1 helix 9 on bow, ultrex 80, 2 G31 AGMS. Best I saw was 74 @ 5800 RPM's. I felt like it had more but backed out due to chine. Hole shot was good

I added Mega 360/Helix 12 on bow, dual mount with 9. Replaced G1 AGM with lithiums. prop was dinged. Best I could get was 68 @ 5600 RPMS. Reworked prop, 3.5 P2P, dealer verified hot foot set correctly. Hole shot is very good.

I am now running 72 @5800 RPMs, but that's all she's got. .Overall I lost 2 mph on top, but I still only max out 5800 RPMS.

Dealer says that is the best I will probably get, I just wish/feel like it should turn more. I do think load and distribution has an effect. I have never run it with no tackle/equipment.
    Throw 150lbs of weight in the back of the boat to replace the weight you lost removing the AGM’s and see what happens. It’s all about lift.

I think running 72 mph at 5800 rpm is outstanding with your current set up. How often will you actually be running wide open.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    So maybe the talk of the 919 with 225 running 75 all day is a myth? The 920's straight from the factory were running 74-77 fairly easily. It sounds like they are limiting them to 5800 rpms? The other two four strokes I had were at optimum performance at 5950 rpms.

8. Member
    Any experience out there on the potential amount of speed gained from a prop being worked over? I have always just ran stock props from mercury and one tempest.

9. Member
    I had some dings repaired from a reputable prop shop, and talked to them about "working" the prop, blueprinting, cupping, custom work... They recommended repair, balance and bringing to factory specs. I wanted the best config for getting on plane and top end speed as opposed to maxing out top end. You may need to give up something on one end to gain it on the other.

Weight distribution, balance, and make sure motor is running at optimum specs are all part of the equation.

I do not normally run balls to the wall BUT sometimes I do.

10. Member
    I’m running a balanced 24 Fury 4 and with just me , 3/4 tank and tournament load and will top out 73ish. Live well on the port side it’ll drop me down to a little over 72. Now with my buddy and both live wells full 70. That’s running about 5900 rpms at best down to 5700 maxed out.
    Had the boat 9 months and never touched the jack plate just changed around props. My 24 Fury 3 is my spare in the back. Faster prop but a handful
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix 5 View Post
    Did he have to change the cable or just the peddle? I have been fighting the some rig for 2 year and 6 props later. Best to date is 71.6 mph at 5800rpm.
    i am not sure if he had to change the cable or not. If you really want the speed replace the throttle body on the 225 for the throttle body on the 250 if you are running a merc. I swapped my batteries to all lithums but left the agm crank battery back there with a perko switch mainly for added weight and add a backup battery in case i kill my crank battery.
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    Merc 225 Pro XS

12. Member
    I can run mine 71 to 72 fully loaded in the right conditions, but I usually run 70. I did however have a better driver than me run it up to 77 empty, but had to clean my shorts after. :-)
    Risen From The Ashes!!

I have the same exact boat. I fought with setting it up with lithiums as well.....Do with this info what you will.

The 200 and 225 have the same throttle body, different programing.

The 250 and 300 have the same throttle body, different programing.

Put the 250/300 throttle body on your engine and see what happens.

300lbs of man, tournament loaded. 24 fury, 6150, 78.x and have ran 79 light.

14. Member
    What is the cost of throttle body swap roughly?

15. Member
    Don't quote me but I think now it's around 1200. A couple years ago was around $600. Merc caught on to what guys were doing but u will get 5mph out of it all day long some get a little more
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    Merc 225 Pro XS

I paid a little over $600 but that was a year and a half ago

17. Member
    Do you guys know if the throttle body change voids the engine warranty on a new engine?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgunter View Post
    Do you guys know if the throttle body change voids the engine warranty on a new engine?
    No, just swap the old one back in.

19. Member
    Try a Tempest instead of a Fury, they give you more lift.

20. Member
    I have a 20 year old 25 tempest plus I keep for a spare. It used to lift a champion pretty well. I might need to try it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast