2010 Optimax 200 Pro xs ?

Hey guys, I know im supposed to provide a serial number but i don't have one since the boat is not mine. I have a question about what you guys think about these compression numbers. I looking into buying this boat and I'm not sure if I should be worried about these numbers or not. your help would be greatly appreciated.

Here they are

Cylinder
    1) 115 2) 110 3) 115 4) 117 5)105 6)113

The boat has 447 hours with 220 under 1500 rpm
    Last edited by bassink9; 02-28-2024 at 03:50 AM. Reason: add info

2. Member
    What size motor?

3. Member
    200. sorry guess I should have said that

4. Member
    Numbers don't seem too bad to me. It depends on how the compression test was done. Was the engine warm, all plugs removed, throttle body wide open. They are all within 10% of each other. Can you get the seller to do a leakdown test?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

5. Member
    ^^^^^^ +1 ,retest start with #5 smoken hot batt
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Thanks for the replys. I appreciate it. I dont think I will be able to get him to do another test. Guess if I move forward I will have to take the chance.

7. Member
    When I purchased my boat I had the owner take it to a marina of my choice, but in his area, and I had the mechanics there go through the engine. I paid of course, but it was reassuring to know I got objective information regarding the engine. If you're really serious maybe suggest this to the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by bassink9 View Post
    Thanks for the replys. I appreciate it. I dont think I will be able to get him to do another test. Guess if I move forward I will have to take the chance.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Just so you know, the 2010 "Pro XS" 200 was a standard optimax with Pro XS stickers. It did not get the Pro XS treatment until 2012-2013 timeframe and is one of the many reasons you need to post the serial number to get accurate information.

What boat is it on???

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Just so you know, the 2010 "Pro XS" 200 was a standard optimax with Pro XS stickers. It did not get the Pro XS treatment until 2012-2013 timeframe and is one of the many reasons you need to post the serial number to get accurate information.

What boat is it on???
    +1

And as Joe suggested, either get it redone, starting with #5 this time... or pass on it. That being a steel reed engine I'm not all warm and fuzzy about that #5 at 105.

Now if it's up with the others after retest... different story.

Note: If it still has steel reeds (likely), upgrading to TDR Reeds would be something wise to consider.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    The 200 is on a Nitro Z8. The #5 is what has been worrying me also and that is why I posted on here. I will probably pass on this boat even though it is a really good price for it. Thanks everyone

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What Joe and I were "silently" hinting at, is that some techs run down one side, then down the other side, when checking compression.

IF perhaps #5 was the last one they checked, and the battery was discharged/bad/inadequate, the later cylinder(s) might appear lower than they really are. Hence Joe's comment about "smoken hot batt" (he was trying to nicely hint it might be battery related).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor