Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Praying Looking for a used car for my soon to be 16 year old daughter.

My wife and I are looking for a used car for my soon to be 16 year old daughter. I've been looking for a Honda or Toyota. I've seen a lot of Volkswagen passat TDI's for around 10k, but have heard they have transmission problems around 100k. I have also seen quite a few Ford Focuses in our price range, but have heard the 2012 on have head gasket issues. What are the pros on BBC thoughts for a little inexpensive car. Also what are experiences with hyundia cars? Are price range is in the 5k-8k range.

2. Member
    Get her a used Honda.

3. Member
    Research the Hyundias. There were transmission problems and engine problems. An old accord, civic, camry or corolla can last a long time. Plenty of $8k CRV's
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

4. Member
    Our only experience with a Hyundai wasn't great. It was completely reliable until around 160-170K miles and then everything under the hood wore out. If I wasn't looking to keep one that long, then I'd recommend.

If you look at CR-V's be sure to research the fuel injector issues on some model years
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

5. Member
    Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. /Thread

My son just broke 200k miles on his 2014 Hyundia Sonata. Has done nothing but put fuel in it change the oil and tires. Its been a great car for a college kid.

7. Member
    Good choices!
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. /Thread

Get an Accord with a K24....its bullet proof.

9. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Honda Accord or Toyota Camry all day every day.......

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

10. Member
    Hyundai's are built cheap. It's going to be hit or miss with them. Toyota Corollas/Camrys are pretty darn reliable. For 8k you should be able to find something with 100k or a little less, but not sure what inventory is like where you live. 100k is nothing for a little Toyota like that. Just check and make sure it drives well and isn't leaking anything. Also, my prices are based on private sales, any dealer is going to jack their cars up to 10k or more if they can.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    Honda Accord or Toyota Camry all day every day.......
    except for the ones that have the 2.4 certain years are oil burners. We had a 2009 camry and it was a oil burner , known issue . Think it was 2007 through 2009 , you can google it will give you the info on it. Just get the V6 and wont have that issue .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

12. Member
    A buddy of ours just bought their 16 year old son a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe with only 70,000 miles from one of their family members. It died on the side of the road this weekend. From what they say it sounds blown up and hopefully they make it right with the 10Yr 100K mile warranty. Their other car is an Acadia with about the same mileage and it's down right now also. That one has electronic gremlins that just shut it off while driving down the road. They have had it at the dealership and it's currently sitting for weeks waiting on someone else to look at it. We've been toting them around as needed.

IMO Look for something that has been well maintained and hope for the best. Sedans seem to be on the outs with the popularity of SUVs and decently priced right now.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Toyota Corolla or Camry, Honda Civic or Accord, stay away from any Focus that has an automatic transmission (stick shifts are ok). If you want a small SUV then CR-V and Rav-4's. Ford Escapes/Mazda Tributes are pretty durable as well, we ran two of them well past 200,000 miles with no significant issues.

14. Member
    I saw a brand new baby blue BMW three series that I am thinking about buying for my 15 year old granddaughter who will be driving soon . She makes straight As and is very mature for her age. She is a little bit shy and I am thinking having a cool car on campus could help her out.

15. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Get an Accord with a K24....its bullet proof.
    This! I’m a honda guy. When mine was 16 I got a civic. Great car but then wanted something bigger for safety reasons so got another accord. They are awesome cars! Now she drives a Honda Odyssey with three awesome grandkids! Point is don’t buy something small buy something safe. That is precious cargo you got there!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

16. Member
    What about a ford Fusion. I am looking a a 2017 with 118,000 miles. It is through govdeals The body and interior look good. Will schedule an appointment to look at it Friday.

17. Member
    FB_IMG_1709055978225.jpg

Still driving my first car, 2008 Ford Fusion with the 3.0 v6. Self maintained, it has been a great car. I will probably drive it another few more years before I retire it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I saw a brand new baby blue BMW three series that I am thinking about buying for my 15 year old granddaughter who will be driving soon . She makes straight As and is very mature for her age. She is a little bit shy and I am thinking having a cool car on campus could help her out.
    Put a hitch on the back so she can tow the new Bass Cat !

19. Member
    Honda or toyota. Sold our pontiac vibe, a Toyota, to my sons buddy. Just turned 280k will no issues
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

20. Member
    that price range is tough. I like toyota but they are hard to find. A used lexus should be on the list. an old ES350 comes to mind, or a toyota Avalon. both are easier to find then a camry and far better rides
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast